skydivingchad

"setting" slinks

I am a packer and have made it my new job to remind people to tack down their Slinks.
The one thing I always seem to hear from people is they are waiting for them to set before tacking them.
The way my wife and I see it is they will set set fine even if they are tacked down when installed.
In other words is there a reason to wait to tack them down?

What do you all think?

Sometimes you're the windshield, sometimes you're the bug.
Pelt Head #3

I am a packer and have made it my new job to remind people to tack down their Slinks.
The one thing I always seem to hear from people is they are waiting for them to set before tacking them.
The way my wife and I see it is they will set set fine even if they are tacked down when installed.

What do you all think?

Slinks will hold in any orientation when routed correctly, but can cause malfunctions if the tabs (or rings) end up in a position where they are exposed. They pose no stregnth threat in this situation, but are asking to get brake lines and what not hung up on them.

By tacking them down first, you are then telling them where to set themselves when they do settle. Tacking them after they have already been set provides no advantage to simply tacking them down first and eliminating the problem from the beginning.

Alternatively, just as an FYI, tacking the slinks down after they have been set (even if out of place) is perfectly safe and viable.

Remember to not tie the tacking too tight so that the thread is not loaded when the canopy is loaded.

Cheers,
Travis

Tack them. No reason not to, and a very good reason to.

The hard part is convincing the people that we pack for to get it done. I'll do it for no charge, I'm pretty sure that the DZ riggers do it at no charge to, but people always find some reason to put it off even when I point out the tab that's sticking out and that I keep shoving back every pack job.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

When you install them, a simple 50lb pull will set them. If you do this with both loops of the slink the same length, they set quite nicely in place and there is no reason not to tack them. A little pinch in the middle to elongate the link (like after they've been loaded a few times) also helps.

I set my slinks this way and they never jump out of the riser and they are untacked. However, I have no reservations with chopping my main if something is not right. I tack all of my rigging customer's soft links, main and reserve, and my reserve slinks are tacked.

hope this helps, Hixxx
death,as men call him, ends what they call men
-but beauty is more now than dying’s when

I don't tack my slinks. when I install them, I give them an initial 'set'. (read: a few hard tugs and a squeeze). A couple jumps sets them fully.

I've never had problems with them shifting position after that.

I'm ofen changing canopies, or containers, or sliders, etc. so tacking down every time would probably end up doing more harm than good. As long as the tab stays put, I see no problems with this.

Aerodyne soft links, on the other hand, I tacked asap! :D

The Master Rigger at my DZ told me to get mine tacked, so I did, but I didn’t listen to him right away so only one slink is offset. It just makes me feel better knowing they are tacked, plus I got tired of tucking the tab every time I packed.

I think one of the reasons he gave me for tacking them is so that the friction from the grommets on my slider don’t hit the slinks at the tab, wear it out and then break. :S

Brad

I am not a rigger. I have changed my main twice myself and my PD slinks were not tacked originally nor are they now. I am not having any problem with the tabs being exposed and this is the first I have heard that they may need to be tacked. How do you tack them?

Just burning a hole in the sky.....

I think one of the reasons he gave me for tacking them is so that the friction from the grommets on my slider don’t hit the slinks at the tab, wear it out and then break. :S

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It is more a question of sharp edges on slider grommets cutting the tab.
Ironically, the first Slink failure and the last Slink failure, were both caused by sharp edges on slider grommets.

What do you all think?

I've been jumping slinks on my main since they were first introduced and have never tacked them. I have experienced no problems after 2,000+ jumps with this configuration.

I wonder how important tacking them actually is. Looking at the slink instructions on PD's website I see nothing about tacking them. One would think the manufacturer would add it to their "official" instructions if it was vital to safety.

I also wonder if tacking them could cause a loss of tensil strength and/or improper tension on the unit if tacked incorrectly.

Input is appreciated for this crusty old jumper that doesn't crack manuals very often any more.
Chuck Akers
D-10855
Houston, TX

I also wonder if tacking them could cause a loss of tensil strength and/or improper tension on the unit if tacked incorrectly.

Done incorrectly, alot of things can screw your rig up, as I'm sure you know...

The trick is if you're going to do it, do it right!

I don't have mine tacked, and they work fine, but I also don't let them set improperly.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

What do the Mfgs say in regards to tacking them?

From Performance Designs Owners Manual:

The first 15-20 deployments will cause the Slink to take a more permanent “set”. It is important to ensure that the tab is located
between the risers during this period so as to insure this set occurs with the tab in the proper position. Once this has occured, the
Slink will have a tendency to remain in this position. If this procedure is not followed, the tab may rotate out of position. Allowing
the tab to remain outside of the risers during deployment and flight will result in excessive wear of the Slink, potentially leading to
structural failure.
Note: Should you find that the tab does not remain in place, PD recommends tacking the tab to insure it stays
locked between the risers.

For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.