bluefingers

Describe your first freefall

Ok, I'll start .... this was my first 3sec delay (I have since done another three of them, and have yet to pass, but this one was most memorable).

K

"I am tumbling end over end into my darkness, hearing voices of theory, voices of query, dark voices, near me. And reason is drowned by the sound of a hammer, clamour is confusion. Plunged into shadows of mystery, catch my breath, frightened ..... I will not face death still uninvited" ...

Faithless lyrics, and they were moving through my head as we were climbing to altitude. That fear that almost incapacitates a person was back ..... why? This time, the pressure was on, I HAD TO PULL A RIPCORD! YEs, I can finally call myself a skydiver and have a grand total of 3 seconds free fall time. IT may not sound like much, but believe me it is a big milestone in my life, a goal achieved, and proof that I can control my mind and harness my fear. If I can leap through cloud at 5200ft, knowing full well that my safety was completely in my own hands now, then I can do anything.
IT was the most incredible sensation, like falling through liquid, and what a pleasure not to be jerked around by the static line! Things went well for the first 2 1/2 seconds, then for some reason, (I didn't even realise I had done it, that's how quickly it happened) my right knee came up, I flipped onto my back, and watched my pilot chute stretch into the sky between my feet - yup, I was head down, on my back when I pulled. NOt good. Despite this, I loved those short few seconds, and was even a tad disappointed when my canopy opened. Because I deployed at a higher altitude, it took me FOREVER to spiral out of the clouds (nothing but this expanse of white, I couldn't see a thing). It was eery to say the least, almost to the point of claustrophobia, but not quite. My landing was fine, and I couldn't wipe the smile off my face for the rest of the day - I was on such a high. In fact, about 20 minutes after my jump, I was chatting to someone about the whole thing, and promptly burst into tears! My hands started shaking, and I was laughing at the same time .... I guess it was the aftermath of that incredible adrenalin jolt, and it was a pretty emotional moment for me, seeing as I have wanted to do it for so long.

Kerry

Congrats!

>IT may not sound like much, but believe me it is a big milestone in
>my life, a goal achieved, and proof that I can control my mind and
>harness my fear.

Anyone who went through the S/L progression knows how you feel:)
> That fear that almost incapacitates a person was back ..... why? This
>time, the pressure was on, I HAD TO PULL A RIPCORD!

Yup. A few dozen jumps after I had my first freefall, I had my first jump without an AAD. That was also an eerie feeling; I REALLY had to toss the PC myself, there wasn't going to be any second chances... A real confidence booster.

Erno

nice one! I've only done four 5 sec delays at the moment, and it still feels great! I think you got it right when you said "like falling through liquid", i found it a peaceful experience, even when i flipped onto my back like you did. I wouldn't really call it a screaming fear to pull that ripcord, just an overwhelming urge to save your ass. You don't really think about it(pulling the cord), it just happens automatically thanks to all your training.;)

ok, a story I have told many times is about to be put into writing, to immortalize it in the freefall hall of shame...

It was my level one PFF jump. The plan was to leave the plane with one instructor on each side, do the circle of awareness (look at both instructors,) do a couple of practice touches, then deploy at 5000ft (I think...) then have a good canopy ride down to the big ball of dirt. This is what really happened...

Climb to altitude was great, ready to go, door opens, climb out goes smoothly, and we prepare to leave. Immediately upon release of the aircraft I start flipping, spinning, turning, and doing everything else except go stable. I felt my secondary instructor let go, and watched her get farther away. I concentrated on the arch, and went stable very fast...too fast...it freaked me out and caused me to go back to the spinning, and flipping thing again. A short time later, I felt my main side instructor leave me, and watched him get farther and farther away. I think to myself (as it is taught in training, if you lose both instructors, pull.) did he pull my pilot chute? I check, it's still in the pouch thing in the bottom of the container...I think to myself, I guess he didn't grab it. I pull, realize I just failed the level, and would have to repeat it. I check my altimeter (yes, for the first time that jump...) 2500ft. I fly down to earth, and have a good tip toe landing. On the walk back to the loft, I receive several comments on the landing, and all I could think was, at least something went right.

In retrospect, I have to give huge props to both my instructors, as neither one of them freaked out on me for being (as I found out they labeled it later on in my jumping career,) "the pff from hell." :)
I was however informed that I should maybe do a few more IADs before trying to repeat the level, and maybe fine tune my body position. B| In my defense though, I had just been trained by the military to jump out of hercs, and the body position for that is trained into you much harder, and is exactly the opposite of a good arch (the relative wind is coming from the other direction.) Well, that's my story.

S.E.X. party #1

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "f*#k, what a ride".

Sitting in the plane, all hyped about my first 3 second freefall.
I get in the door, JM askes me "Ready?" so I reply "YEAaaA!" and jump.

Falling away from the aircraft. Great view of the JM waiving two thumbs up. Thinking wow....enjoying it.....But suddenly I realize F*CK!! I'M FALLING, I HAVE TO PULL THE DAMN CORDS!!...I pull, chute opens...Felt like I was falling for at least 10 seconds...lateron the JM complimented me on falling excactly 3 seconds (instead of pulling 'in the door' as most first time clear/pull go:)

Had a blast...landed a few feet away from my dad with the camera...
JC
FlyLikeBrick
I'm an Athlete?

My first 9 freefalls were all between 40 and 50 seconds, from 10.5 to 12k - followed by a hop 'n pop to get me off AFF student status. The amazing thing to me is - the first one seemed like it was over immediately, and each one after seems to last a little longer. My jumpmaster says it is because we relax, and become a little more comfortable each time.
Whatever the reason - I'm dying for number 11, but I keep getting screwed by the weather (for almost 4 weeks) rain or high winds every day I can get to the DZ. Suffering from severe altitude sickness - NEED ALTITUDE !

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

Checking the log book my instructor had a few words to say....."back to PRCPs" being some of them!:S

I got it in te end though:$

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

Level I - Two jumpmasters
Jump 1 - 11,000ft
HOTEL CHECK GOOD BUT HAD TO BE PULLED & PUSHED FROM AIRCRAFT. COA’s GOOD, PRCT VERY GOOD. MISREAD ARCH SIGNAL & PULLED AT 6,000.
My first jump was not what I expected at all. I kind of figured it would be rollercoaster sensation x 10. It was nothing like that. It was a very violent experience, but enjoyable all the sam.
All kitted up on the ground, My Primary JM (Pat) and I had to walk 300 yards to the plane. On the way there we went through the dive-flow for the jump. I was slightly distracted as we passed a Rallydriving school on the right. “Something else for me to try.” I thought. Close to the plane the Secondary JM (Colin) arrived, chauffered there by the receptionist at the centre. A few disbelieving laughs and comments of “Couldn’t you walk you lazy F**ker” from Pat preceded the embarkation of the plane. There were 6 of us in the Cessna. Me, my two Jumpmasters, one set of Tandem Jumpers and the pilot. This was only the third time I had ever flown. The acceleration and noise from the aircraft surprised me, as did the fact that it had no door, just a big gaping hole in the side of it which I was sitting next to. A couple of minutes into the flight, I nievely started to wonder if we were close to jump altitude. I looked at my altimeter. It had barely made it above the redline. 3000ft it read, only another 8000 to go. This made me even more nervous as I sat back and tried to relax, realising that I was in for a longer flight. My nerves weren’t helped by the fact that Pat was up and leaning out the door as if he was peering out of a ground floor window. He further showed his comfort with a situation that was completely alien to me by getting out a copy of a ‘lads mag’ to read.
At 10,000ft, the Tandem was ready to go. I pulled my legs into my chest to give them room. Seeing them exit the plane and disappear into thin air (and at that altitude, it certainly is !) made me the most nervous I had been to date since this whole course had started. I still had a couple of minutes to take deep breaths as we climbed to 11,000ft (2.08 miles as I was to find out later.) All of a sudden, Pat shouted, “HOOOOAAAAHHH ! ! ! Are you ready to skydive ?” This question must have triggered an automation mode in me as I went through everything that I had learned during training. I replied, “Yep” and got into my exit position. “CHECK IN !” . . . I got an OK. “CHECK OUT !” I got another OK. “UP, DOWN ARCH !” From this point on, the common sensory overload that all first time skydivers experience hit, and all I can remember of those first few seconds are snapshots of visuals and feelings. The realisation that I was out of the plane, the sight of the lower rear of the plane, the loudness of the wind rushing past. There was no sensation of falling. It was just like being suspended several thousand feet up in the air in a wind tunnel. As soon as I realised we were pointing towards the ground I went into my first Circle of Awareness. I called 10,000ft and got an arch signal from my Secondary JM, followed by a thumbs up. I called the altitude again to my Primary JM and got a straighten legs signal followed by a thumbs up. I did my three PRCT’s without any problem. I then started my second Circle of Awareness, but as I went to call to my Secondary JM a huge gulp of cold wind entered my lungs and prevented me from talking. I then went straight to the Primary JM and called the altitude for which I got another Straighten legs signal, followed by a thumbs up. A few seconds passed when I thought I saw the PULL signal from my primary JM. I was later to find out that he didn’t signal a pull. We were at 6000 ft and it was actually an arch signal. I didn’t bother with the 5-5 and went straight for the ripcord and pulled. “One Thouand, Two Thousand, Three Thousand, Four Thousand, Check Canopy !” I looked up and muttered under my breath, “Good Canopy, thank f**k for that !”
I stowed the ripcord before I released the brakes (naughty naughty). Once the brakes were free I looked down to see the airfield directly below me. I flared twice, steered left 90 degrees, steered right 90 degrees and flared again to check the canopy control. All was fine and I could finally take a relaxed look around me. The landscape of the area was flat and full of fields. Surprisingly I didn’t feel like I was several thousand feet above the ground. It was more like being suspended a couple of feet above an aerial photograph. I heard a few cackles on the radio but nothing legible and began to think the radio was busted and I might have to make this landing on my own. A couple of minutes later a welcoming voice came over the airwaves saying, “Open and close your legs if you can hear me.” It was Colin, the secondary JM who had already landed by now. Steering instructions followed right up to final approach. This was where things went slightly pear-shaped. I heard “Full Drive, Full Drive” on the radio, which in the excitement of the moment I mistook it’s meaning for ‘Flare! Flare!’. I pulled the toggles down to my crotch, felt the parachute slow and stall but wondered why my feet hadn’t hit the ground yet. I then caught my shadow coming in from the left and remembered my JM’s instruction to keep the flare on, rather than release and re-engage. With my legs together, knees bent and a slight twist at the waist to promote the roll onto my fleshy parts, I met my shadow with a thump, but didn’t feel any pain at all. Just pure relief that I had made my first jump without injury.
As I gathered up the lines, Colin walked over and asked me how it went. I told him that I was slightly concerned about what I did wrong, causing Pat to give me the PULL signal. Colin assured me that no pull signal was given and that I must have misread it.
On the walk back to the centre, I passed one of the packers, Steve, who welcomed me to the world of skydiving and asked if I enjoyed it. I told him that I was still numb from the experience and the cold, relative wind and that I would get back to him. He then laughed as he told me that he enjoyed the landing. I asked if it was that bad. He beckoned me towards him and said, “See that tree over there ?”, pointing at 100ft+ tree. “You were supposed to flare just where those branches start 15ft off the ground. Unfortunately you flared three quarters of the way up that tree. If you’d have done that under a regular canopy you would have been in hospital for a few days, but under that training canopy you can get away with it.”
I went inside to a quiet corner of the packing area, glad to get that equipment off me after the walk back to the centre and strolled around outside to cool down and reflect on what I had just accomplished. The only injury sustained was a slight ache in my left calf muscle……… oh, and my wits.
The debrief was fun. I went through the whole dive from start to finish, relaying my impressions and feelings of how it went. The Primary JM then gave his account of the dive, followed by the Secondary JM. I was complemented on my accurate recall of the dive and was reassured that they would rather I misread a signal to pull at 6000ft than not react at all and fall below the hard-deck of 5000ft. They told me that I was a proven puller and to err on the side of safety was not really an error at all. They critiscised my exit, saying that I was sitting in the plane raher than out of it, which meant that Pat had to pull me out and Colin had to push me out more than they would wish. They then cleared me for Level II.
Gerb

I stir feelings in others they themselves don't understand. KA'CHOW !

O Shhhhhiiiittt!!!!:o
Blue, green, blue, green wham and big red round above me! Woooooohaa!! Shit, where is the DZ?? Wind direction? Oh I'm not going that fast, I will stand up my landing! Wham, bam - sprained my ankle. B|:$

Blue Sky
I.

My first freefall was somewhat uneventful - thank god. I do know I was scared to death of the door and tried not to show it. I think I failed at hiding my fear. I had no trouble jumping out though. It was an AFF jump so my mind was more focused on the dive flow than the view or sensation. I just remember tasting cold air and the extreme wind in my face. My video shows me kicking my feet. I got the legs out signal several times. I constantly had one eye on my altimeter. I had done a tandem a year before that and I soon realized that had just been a ride. Stability was a lot harder here.
I think it was around jump 3 that I became more aware. It was the coolest thing when I pulled and saw my coaches falling away from me. I remember thinking "what are they waiting for - pull!"
Jump 5 (I think) - one coach, not holding onto my grips: best exit up to that point. We were the last out and I looked up at the plane for the first time and the pilot made a hard banked turn. Coach said my jaw just dropped when I saw that. I believe him. That was the level where I was doing 360's and really having fun. That's when it started to feel like flying.

Respect the Dolphin

My first freefall absolutely fried my brain... good thing it was a tandem. Fell out of the door and went limp. We spent a few seconds flipping end over end before I remembered that whole arch thing. They made it sound pretty important on the ground, why not give it a try? So we spent most of our time stable... but I still don't remember many details about it... except for how badass it was :)

Cessna 182. Skydive Spaceland July 7 2000. I was the only one on the plane with my JM (Hook) and the video guy. I was just very quiet. I went to jump with my (then) boyfriend (all his idea). We broke up and I finished and got my license he did 2 tandems and never went back. I liked my first tandem skydive jump it was quite peaceful for me. Yes I had fear of the unknown but I was also excited about the fact that I was actually going to dive out of a plane. I was so pumped and I was scared of course........but I wanted itB|.

I checked my alti (alot) and did my wave off @ 6000 and reached back to pull, however I think Hook helped a little.:)

Kerry, you know why I will not describe my first freefall now;), but I am soooooo happy you posted this! Congrats!!! And when you get your Pulitzer I want at least a good dinner in this restaurant with crystal mirrors in Central Park. (Damn, the dinner might be more expensive than the money they give you for the Pulitzer - theu have got Petrus there, you know;))

jraf

Me Jungleman! Me have large Babalui.
Muff #3275

I have only done one tandem jump! I can remember most of it, and I seriously don't remember any fear. I do remember a short, half hearted scream, though!
I just got the video of the jump yesterday, and it went so smoothly! straight into the arch! I remember being disappointed when the chute opened! I wanted to carry on!

A friend told me that if it wasn't for my ears, the smile would go right around (I might have already posted that)

I also remember the serious discomfort when the chute opened!! At what speed are you normally travelling when you deploy the chute?

I wanted to go straight back up again!

I was a private pilot at the time and deciced to "experience" jumping out. I was trained to fly by wannabe bush pilots so aerobatics and otherwise extreme low earth, short and soft field landings, Bob Hoover air show flying was the norm and I ate it up. " how scary could jumping out be?"
Got trained up for some static line, sucked it up all of it. Practiced some exits out the Cessna and the PLF's no prob. Riding up to Altitude seeing the jump master do a small prayer thinking "whats his problem?" NEVER thinking twice about it.
Climbing out on the wheel and strut ( bare in mind after many flights in doorless planes and Helos, I'd allways wanted to do that) still not even a bit of fear.
I look at my JM get the thumbs up, jump , arch and Wham!
I was for that split second scared shitless ." What have I done?" Under a perfect round main half a second later I knew I would be back for more!
That sensation of freefall then deployment haunted me for years after, I had to have it regularly. Kinda like feeling the surf after spending the day at the beach.