riggergreg

Count your damn tools...

Looks scary. I was always afraid of doing something like that when I was packing reserves. You'd think the rigger in question would tie a long piece of flagging onto that clamp, to help remind him.

Years ago there was a guy who tied something around all his lines at the skirt (of his round canopy). He did this every time he packed. One day he forgot to remove it and of course had a streamer. Apparently he also had trouble getting his reserve out, and he burned in....Steve1

When I was rigging at Midwest Parachute there was a shadow board, Unless every tool covered the painted place you werent suppossed to seal. When Jump Shack made the first "SST's" the last word of the directions were "COUNT YOUR TOOLS". Back then rounds were packed on a table John was left handed and it took a while to figure ouy why the sequence seemed so odd as he was packing in the opposite direction. One you never see any more was the NB-6 with the two pin holes in the pilot chute cone. That caused way to many problems.

That kind of stuff scares me. I learned to pack with a bare minimum of tools. Hell, I can't even figure out why people would use clamps, especially THERE of all places.

Okay - When a serious problem like that IS found, what is the procedures? I'm not sure what I would do....Notify the Rigger who packed it, maybe call the DPRE for some advice on what to do next. Part of me wants to go straight to the FAA with a letter, part of me wants to see it taken care of within the rigging community.....

edited for spelling only.
=========Shaun ==========

That is sickening.

Besides how can you not notice that it's in there when you are s-folding the canopy.

I know someone who packed a wrist mounted altimeter into a main canopy accidently.

That reserve should be quite small for the packing tray if someone can fit a packing clamp there.:S

Not to break the thread... but, I've known a person who packed his frape hat into his main and another who packed his wallet into his main... both jumped them and "found", then "lost" again their missing item on opening... :S

... back on topic, besides the fatal incident with the clamp left on a reserve I know of... I also know someone that found a packing weight in his reserve when opening it for a reserve repack, left there from the last repack... and another person that "back in the day" before everyone had a guchi molar starp, this person opened their reserve for a repack and found a piece of 550 wrapped around the reserve (it was used in lieu of a molar strap) and left there.

... when a buddy and I were going through rigger training, my buddy opened a pilot rig and found a "clamp" in that pack-job too. This wasn't one of those like pictured above, it was one of those "bag clips" you use to close up a half finished bag of potato chips, but it was in the pack job none the less... of course, being a pilot rig, it was the first time this rig had been opend in years.

COUNT YOUR TOOLS!

Okay - When a serious problem like that IS found, what is the procedures?

What you do as a rigger is up to you.

You can notify the FAA, tell the owner and let them deal with it, or notify the rigger, or all of the above. Do what seems correct to you.

I have done all of the above on different occasions.

Maybe this will help some riggers with remembering tools. I made a document in Excel that lists most of the tools in my rigging kit. Follow these steps to make a nice laminated tool check off card.

1. Print document and cut into desired width
2. Laminate document to make durable, re-markable tool list
3. Use a dry erase marker to check tools out of your kit as you use them.
4. After finishing pack job, erase the dry erase marks as you put tools back in your tool box
5. Have confidence you didnt pack any tools into your reserve pack job because you were thorough in checking your tools in and out of your tool box.

Hope this helps

Maybe this will help some riggers with remembering tools. I made a document in Excel that lists most of the tools in my rigging kit. Follow these steps to make a nice laminated tool check off card.

Why not just make an inspection/repack sheet passed on to the customer which includes serial numbers, due dates, inspection points, and tools in/out count?

It gave me warm fuzzies when my favorite rigger did that and didn't cost much (now days they even give away free printers with every ink or toner purchase).