lawrocket

Why do so many people hate Speaker's Corner so much?

Hey, I know. It's like people in Red states bitching about San Francisco. They don't live there, they don't know anybody from there, they rarely if ever visit there, it doesn't affect their lives, but they have to TEAR IT DOWN!! It's jealousy, I tell you.
<>

Gee I was always thinking that turn about is fair play:ph34r:

Most of them do NOT want to hear any other opinions other than their own.. sorta like the Shrub in charge.......

at town halls and patriotic events.... and election events... and cabinent meetings.. and National Security breifings.. :S

i've had plenty of very meaningful debates and discussions w/ people in there. in fact, my attitudes/beliefs about a few things have actually been changed by the posts of others. also, i've been forced to re-evaluated why i believe what i believe and to open myself up to the beliefs of others, to learn about the beliefs of others and that, IMO, has made me a better person.

Likewise.
It can be a rainbow, in all it's splendor...
We are all engines of karma

Don't worry none, SC is often misunderstood and underestimated...by the uninitiated. :P
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Damn...........then Bill comes along and locks the thread JUSt when I REALLY had them on the ropes. Thanks Bill.

LOL, quite the active imagination....

Anyways, SC can be interesting. I have certainly changed opinions and found interesting viewpoints I hadn't thought about before. It takes some thick skin and isn't for the easily offended.

I hate to argue and find no pleasure in reading about other people's arguments.

Why do you like it?

Because there is plenty of insight and thoughtfulness to be read in there once the rabble and flippancy is glossed over.

There is something to be said about seeing other peoples' sides on issues and the reasons for them. Sometimes things are so clearly and reasonably stated that I'll change my mind on an issue. That dastardly billvon has done that on many occasions.

I rarely go in there to argue. Most don't. Some do, but it takes two to tango, so I'll just not participate.

Perhaps it also helps me in my job. I personally can't stand position-based dialogue (which is, ironically, what most attorneys and litigants go for). I see that a lot in there, but then there are others who work more on interst-based discussions. It can actually be refreshing and enlightening.:)

What else is interesting is that much of the commentary seems to be on how, negative, judgmental, angry, etc., the place is. It is interesting because those comments can themselves be considered judgmental, narrow-minded, angry, etc.

I find this really interesting because their dislike is stated in the same way as their stated reasons for dislike. Why is it that so many people say things like, "I hate him. He's so intolerant." Does that not indicate a level of intolerance when the position is that intolerance is intolerable?

It's what I gather from many of these responses - it is sort of a fallacy. And, no, it's not a personal attack or anything. I find it reasonable.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Normally mild mannered and happy people become nasty tempered and abusive assholes in there.

What's not to understand?

Are you attacking me again?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I often see people in here mentioning their dislike of Speaker's Corner? I don't understand why that is..

Simply put, people show who they really are in there, and really speak their minds, whether its politically correct or taboo or not... A lot of people can't stand it.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Because they know that in SC we don't want to see their tits. And that infuriates them.

It's true. Turtle posted a fantastic rate-my-tits website once and no-one replied. It was just...:S

I've been scared of that place ever since.[:/]
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Normally mild mannered and happy people become nasty tempered and abusive assholes in there.

What's not to understand?

It's like sucker-punching David Banner and then WHAM!!! His eyes go green and his clothes (except the best parts) shred, and and...

No. No, that's cool. Sorry, bad analogy.

you've got to ask yourself one question: 'Do I feel loquacious?' -- well do you, punk?

Because they know that in SC we don't want to see their tits. And that infuriates them.

It's true. Turtle posted a fantastic rate-my-tits website once and no-one replied. It was just...:S

I've been scared of that place ever since.[:/]

See the problem with that was that if they had been paying attention - they would have seen who's they were.:o
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

I don't understand why so many posters in the SC threads refuse to understand another's point or be sympathetic to anther point of view. Often intsead of responses starting off with ".. I understand what your saying but yada yada yada", responses more often go like "you week minded lib/con how could you blah blah blah, how could someone think like you you fa-kin lib/con's all think alike blah blah..." I read the threads in SC often and listen to all the points but, rarely get involved. Threads in SC vear off course regularly and points are misread and misinterpreted. But I like to read the threads in SC. I belive SC serves a good purpose on this site and keeps those types of conversations in a seperate location so posters who prefer warm and fuzzy can avoid easily. So no hate here B|

I hate to argue and find no pleasure in reading about other people's arguments.

Why do you like it?

I hate emotional arguing, but I love to debate.

I like speaker's corner because it challenges me. It makes me think about my own viewpoints, reassess them, research them, and then, once again, accept or reject them. I've had speaker's corner change my mind about some issues. I've had it strengthen my opinions on other issues. However, whether or not it changes my mind, I always learn something new, whether it's a new fact or a new way of looking at old facts.

It's pretty easy to ignore the overly emotional people who are just in there spouting "agree with me because I'm right, dammit!" with nothing other than that to back it up. For those people, I smile, roll my eyes, and move on, hoping that someday they'll learn that they're not going to change anyone's mind that way.

So, I guess that overall, it's a good place to learn, hone my own debating skills, and be amused by people who are threatened by information that contradicts their own narrow worldview.

I have been participating in Speaker's Corner less and less. It just makes me weary to see the same old arguments over and over and over again.[:/] I also don't like to see the meanness in people. I mean there are some regulars who are just plain angry.

Like Skymama said...too much negative energy.

Chris