sunshine

My rent went up

We're paying $770 (utility bills included) on a 2 story "townhouse apartment" thats 900+sq/ft.Plus the $250 deposit for our animals.

We were paying $750 but when we renewed our lease they had new a $10 per person per apt "water allowance" added to the rent.My husband said "so your upping our rent by $20".They said "no no,its not a rent increase,its a "water allowance".To which my hubby said "yeah,and its 'allowing' you to get $20extra per month on our rent..thats a rent increase".Dumbasses!:S So I feel sorry for some of the college kids renting here b/c they have 3-4 people in 1 unit.Same for those w/kids,if their name is on the lease as a dependant they count towards it too.So these people living in the same size unit as ours but have like 3-4kids+parents are really getting the shaft.

My husband has been at this apt complex since he started with the state 15yrs ago.I moved into the complex 2.5yrs ago.He was gentlemanly enough to help me move my stuff into my new apt and well,it just went from there.We consolidated our stuff into 1 apt after my first lease was up and just had our 1yr wedding anniversary this past June.:$

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

Went from $200/month at my parents house to a $1500 mortgage although we're not paying the minimum. Pretty sweet condo/townhouse about 40 min from Chicago. Best thing is that we have a finished basement. I turned it into a nice home theater.

--"Someday you will die and somehow somethings going to steal your carbon" -MM

:)
Hey, mine's going up $15.00 too! Wanna move in together and make it $7.50 each????

Snowwhite would be happy if I could save a few bucks!

Beautiful Landings!

Hey guys! I have 4 bedrooms here in Illinois. Streaker you are always welcome in my bedroom, so that leaves 3 for Sunny to choose from. We could split that increase 3 ways, and it would only be 5 bucks apeiece!

Streaker

PS I got rent and a friggin mortage!

skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

When I got married, we rented a one-bedroom third floor walkup apartment with no A/C. We paid $118 per month for the year we lived there.

That was back in 1971...

In 74 Streaker and I moved into an apartment with a huge back yard, we had 2 Newfoundland dogs and were paying $ 50.00 bucks a month. We had the best landlord ever.
Streaker told our landlord he felt guilty and that he wanted to give him an extra 5 bucks a month. To this day that guy tells people that we are the only ones he ever knew that raised their own rent.
We lived there for cheap for a year, saved a bunch and bought the first of several houses.
I'm starting a big landscaping job for that same guy in about a week. It pays to be nice.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Buying is simply a matter of how bad you want it. There will always be fucking excuses why not to buy. People would be surprised how easy it can be nowadays to buy a place.

Before you know it years are going to go by. That is years worth of equity you are just throwing away.

If you can afford rent, then you can afford a mortgage. Find a good loan officer, you will be amazed what they can do. You may not be able to qualify for that fucking castle down the street, but you can most likely qualify for something and at least that way you are building equity towards the future for when you are ready to buy that bigger house.

Or, you can just continue to pay off your landlords mortgage and help him with building his equity.

You show a suprising lack of understanding of renting VS buying and the difference you can find in regional real estate markets within the same country. Given you seemingly have bought a place, it's amazing you haven't got a greater understanding of this, but then i guess most people who have benefitted from the capital gains in the global property bubble of the last 10 years have been much like yourself - completely lucky and rather lacking in any real knowledge of property prices.

Do you know that since the 1930's real property values (i.e. inflation adjusted) have only increased by approximately 2% per annum? You would have had a better return by renting if you could find a place half what a repayment mortgage would cost, and putting the other half into government bonds, one of the safest investments around. The last 10 years have been an exception to the rule, but we always return back to the statistical average - hence why we are seeing rising global interest rates and many property markets around the world are on a knife edge, basically from many owner occupiers/speculators like yourself who have got in on limited fixed term deals and are not moving to variable rates and can't understand why their debt levels are increasing and not actually being eroded over time.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

$20extra per month on our rent..thats a rent increase".Dumbasses!Crazy So I feel sorry for some of the college kids renting here b/c they have 3-4 people in 1 unit.Same for those w/kids,if their name is on the lease as a dependant they count towards it too.So these people living in the same size unit as ours but have like 3-4kids+parents are really getting the shaft.

Actually quite the contrary. Most places will bill you for water based on the square feet of the unit. Problems come when you have a single person in a big place and 8 people in a small one. The single person is paying the other persons water. It is plain as day to see that for every person there, the amout of water used will increase..It is only fair to charge the water bill per person and not based on square footage.

Thats what is happening to me, but that is life. I live in a condo building, live by myself in a 1200sf condo. I have to pay the same water bill as the family living two buildings over with 2 adults and 2 kids. They use at least 4 times the amount of water as I do.

Get my drift ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

basically from many owner occupiers/speculators like yourself who have got in on limited fixed term deals and are not moving to variable rates and can't understand why their debt levels are increasing and not actually being eroded over time.

Please explain to me how a variable rate mortgage is going to erode my debt? In today's market and the rising interest rates you'd be insane to get a VRM. The smart thing to do would be to get it fixed as low as possible and hopefully weather the storm the real estate market is going through.

Because of the variable rate mortgage there is going to be a phenomenal amount of foreclosures and bankruptcies in the near future. This is because people bought more house then they could afford on a VRM. Might as well get yourself an Interest Only mortgage.

I'm paying $900 a month for a 2br 2bth condo in the Galleria area in Houston. Not upscale but not the skids either. Location is the key in Houston. Hell anywhere. So I think I've got a pretty good deal here. I had planned on buying this year but things happened financially and I couldn't afford to. So I've set back my purchase plans another 2 years. YEA 2 fucking years. Hopefully by then I'll be able to swing a 150k mortgage. If not I'll be living in the boonies with a 2hr commute to my dead end job.

Sucks not finishing school and getting a job instead of a career. :|

"Find out just what any people will quietly submit to and you have found out the exact measure of injustice and wrong which will be imposed upon them."

I pay $460 for a two good sized bedroom apartment. The rent went up last year by $15. My landlords suck ass though. For 8 units we only have 1 washer and dryer, and they are often broken.
I am getting a new roomie in next week so rent will be $230!!

Heather
Garbage bags do not make good parachutes.

I pay $460 for a two good sized bedroom apartment.
Heather

I hate you.

But its pure jealousy

My rent on my 1 bedroom just went up to $1360.00.

God i hate living in northern Va
As a general rule, the better it felt when you said it, the more trouble it's going to get you into.

$1846.00 per month

Raise increase annually of $50.00 (or length of lease)

g

OMFG!! *faint*

That is for a 3 bedroom townhouse I just moved in to last month. The 2 bedroom apartment I lived in before was $1500.00 a month.

WELCOME TO SOCAL!!!! :P

g

Mommie, I'm moving back home.:$:)
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

Buying is simply a matter of how bad you want it. There will always be fucking excuses why not to buy. People would be surprised how easy it can be nowadays to buy a place.

Before you know it years are going to go by. That is years worth of equity you are just throwing away.

If you can afford rent, then you can afford a mortgage. Find a good loan officer, you will be amazed what they can do. You may not be able to qualify for that fucking castle down the street, but you can most likely qualify for something and at least that way you are building equity towards the future for when you are ready to buy that bigger house.

Or, you can just continue to pay off your landlords mortgage and help him with building his equity.

You show a suprising lack of understanding of renting VS buying and the difference you can find in regional real estate markets within the same country. Given you seemingly have bought a place, it's amazing you haven't got a greater understanding of this, but then i guess most people who have benefitted from the capital gains in the global property bubble of the last 10 years have been much like yourself - completely lucky and rather lacking in any real knowledge of property prices.

Do you know that since the 1930's real property values (i.e. inflation adjusted) have only increased by approximately 2% per annum? You would have had a better return by renting if you could find a place half what a repayment mortgage would cost, and putting the other half into government bonds, one of the safest investments around. The last 10 years have been an exception to the rule, but we always return back to the statistical average - hence why we are seeing rising global interest rates and many property markets around the world are on a knife edge, basically from many owner occupiers/speculators like yourself who have got in on limited fixed term deals and are not moving to variable rates and can't understand why their debt levels are increasing and not actually being eroded over time.

Totally disagree. My dad never made more that 35K a year, and is now making 18K a month due to investing in an apartment complex. I have purchased several rentals, and am paying them off in 15 years or less...or rather, my tennants are paying them off. For roughtly a 25K investment on each house, I will gain 250K in property value over 15 years, and, be able to stop working without the fear of some CEO cutting my so-called "retirement plan" that most people work thier enitre lifes for. While there is risk, with agressive payoff schedules, and proper pricing of rental rates to keep 100% occupancy, ensuring cash flow...its the only way to go. And, you have to live BELOW your means to make this happen, which most people can not do. Remember the golden rule...."He that holds the gold, makes the rules."

basically from many owner occupiers/speculators like yourself who have got in on limited fixed term deals and are not moving to variable rates and can't understand why their debt levels are increasing and not actually being eroded over time.

Please explain to me how a variable rate mortgage is going to erode my debt? In today's market and the rising interest rates you'd be insane to get a VRM. The smart thing to do would be to get it fixed as low as possible and hopefully weather the storm the real estate market is going through.

Because of the variable rate mortgage there is going to be a phenomenal amount of foreclosures and bankruptcies in the near future. This is because people bought more house then they could afford on a VRM. Might as well get yourself an Interest Only mortgage.

I'm paying $900 a month for a 2br 2bth condo in the Galleria area in Houston. Not upscale but not the skids either. Location is the key in Houston. Hell anywhere. So I think I've got a pretty good deal here. I had planned on buying this year but things happened financially and I couldn't afford to. So I've set back my purchase plans another 2 years. YEA 2 fucking years. Hopefully by then I'll be able to swing a 150k mortgage. If not I'll be living in the boonies with a 2hr commute to my dead end job.

Sucks not finishing school and getting a job instead of a career. :|

You misunderstood my post - i agree completely with what you said - a VRM is actually not only NOT going to erode debt, but in an environment of increasing rates that we have here in the UK, the debt will increase due to the accumulated interest that has to be paid back.

Here in the UK people generally have not opted for long term fixed rate mortgages - they will have them fixed for 2 or 3 years and then they revert to variable rate. People who several years ago were benefitting from 4.5+% fixed interest rates are looking at coming off of those onto a 6% rate. I agree - it's going to hit people hard, but then if you overextend or get involved in speculative investment in property without knowing what you are getting into, and in the process ramping property prices pricing people like you or I out of the market for just a place we can call our own, and raise our family, then i don't have much sympathy.

Buying a property should *not* be viewed as an investment vehicle but unfortunately it has become that way because of the global inflation in house prices we have seen. Who wants to buy in at the top of a curve and risk massive debt overextension and being stuck somewhere for years to come? Not I.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

B|

Hmmm....Maybe Sunny & I will share a bedroom and you can choose from the other (3)?????

Or.....maybe all three of us will share a bedroom and we can get some other skydivers in the other three bedrooms????

Think of the possibilities!

Streaker
Have a yippee ki ya day!

Wow, you guys have it so cheap. In Australia, the rent is calculated per week and rental places are 100% bare so you have to buy everything from washing machines to bed to fridges when you move somewhere... and the rent is ridiculously expensive. A dorm room costs US$270 a week (including meals)... that's crazy for a small room and trash food. I'm paying a little over US$230/ week for a 1br studio student apartment.

and rental places are 100% bare so you have to buy everything from washing machines to bed to fridges when you move somewhere...

Most rental places in USA are also that way. My apt only came with a stove and fridge. The air conditioner is mine, i have to pay my own electric & gas, internet. I also have to go to a laundromat for now until i can afford to buy my own washing machine. Still, i love my cute little apartment. :)

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Unfortunately, with the new federal regulations regarding storm water treatment, EVERYONE, renter or owner is in for a shock. Some weird water payments will be hitting everyone. Some towns are becoming non-incorporated to avoid the regs. The average landlord will eventually add tons of money to the rent to pay the dif.

On the other hand, Streaker *although he hasn't seen it yet* and I have built a rain garden to avoid the additional tax, well, at least a portion of it.
skydiveTaylorville.org
[email protected]

Damn, I can't wait to sell my house and live in my RV. Then all I'll have to do is pay for a rental fee for were ever I feel like living.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I did something like that once upon a time..... 3 years I lived on my 36ft boat... it was comfy... but the ice on the dock.. or algae on the dock when it was wet.. Shall we say.. I have gone swimming in the Columbia River ... EVERY month of the year[:/]

The last place I had on my own when I was single and lived in Oklahoma City was $650 / mo for a 3-bedroom 2.5 bath with garage, central heat & air, huge backyard, corner lot, and 1950 sq. ft in a great area of town.

Here in FL, Dagny and I share a 1 bedroom, 860 sq. ft apt @ $625 / mo just outside of Tampa.

We're waiting until we find out where she's getting her residency at next year after she graduates from medical school in May and then we're going to look into buying a house.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™