skydiverbry

Canopy options

I have 1336 jumps,back and neck injuries, have not jumped since 2003. At that time was jumping a Tri. Ther are alot of new canopies on the market,looking to getting back in the air Need a very soft opener,and good landing. No swoops,or hot doging. Gear weigt is 160lbs. Ideas?
--------------------------------------------------
Growing old is mandatory.Growing up is optional!!

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

I have back and neck injuries. I can highly recommend a Spectre at about 1.0.

But remember that ANY canopy can whack you. If a hard opening is going to really mess you up...think really, really hard about that risk before you jump again.

When I demo'd the Pilot at 1.17:1, I first rolled the nose and got 1000' snivels. Then just let the nose hang and got 800 foot snivels. The Pilot opening so slow just scared me. I was used to the "brisk" openings of the Sabre1. I went with the Sabre2 instead. Opens just a bit faster.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

Well for starts I think I could handle the 1,000ft snivel. Before I got hurt the first time and went with the Tri,I flew a 150 Stilleto. I thought the Tri to 2-3 day to get me on the ground

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

For 74 jumps and what its worth id say Pilot.

That thing actually made my balloon knot flutter on my first jump with it, took around 800ft which is something i was not used to.

People aint made of nothin' but water and shit.

Until morale improves, the beatings will continue.

I would also try an Icarus Safire2. I am partial :P but it is an amzing canopy. Extremely consistant soft openings and excelent glide with tons of flare power. Very low toggle pressure also.

Give a couple of canopies a shot if you can. The big 3 9 cells are going to be the Safire2, the Sabre2 from PD and the Pilot from Aerodyne.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Hey,

I agree with the above posts.

If you want a 9 cell - Pilot flat out. The snivel almost made me chop. I first thought I had a pilot chute towing as it gently stood me up, then slowly deployed in about 1000 feet. I only got to put 3 jumps on it, but it was eerie to watch the entire deployment sequence, and I was able to do that on jump 15 or so.

For a 7 cell, Spectre is fantastic as well. I bought a Spectre for my own canopy and I looooove it. It opens a bit quicker than the Pilot, but still very gentle. 7-800 foot openings are the norm for me. I've put about 35 jumps on my Spectre.

Both canopies are great, I'd say just a personal choice, demo if you can. I actually think I might call Aerodyne and demo a Pilot in the same size as my Spectre. I jumped a Pilot 170 and now I fly a Spectre 135. I really liked the flare of the Pilot, but again, I want to try it in a comparable size first.

On another note, I'm not sure what size you'll be jumping but I heard the Pilot tends to get harder openings as you go smaller, ie: sub 150. Don't quote me on that but I've heard it from more than one source and if you're jumping a 170, I'm sure it will be fine.

Later

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

I put 4 demo jumps on a Spectre 190 when they first came out. Two 2000' hop and pops and 2 terminal deployments. All four openings took 700' (Yes I heard flatline on my Timeout:S) I didn't buy one because of I WANT to be able to get out at 2000'. Otherwise the canopy was fine.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Below is my post from a different thread. I think it is relevent to this thread:

Dacron lines - they strech more than Microline and have more friction when the slider grommets slide on them. Here is Performance Designs' opinion on them (from their website):

"Why would anyone want to use Dacron line on their canopy?

Though most people prefer the lower bulk and drag of Microline or Vectran, Dacron is often the best choice for some applications. Dacron is a fairly elastic line, so it gives a little when there is a sharp "spike" to the opening force. This elasticity won't change the really good openings very much, but it can take the edge off those occasional abrupt openings where your packing was a little off or your airspeed was a little high at opening time. Dacron may be preferable in a student operation, where unusual body positions can compound opening issues. Some camera flyers with very heavy helmets also prefer Dacron lines. Older jumpers, who may not want to subject their bodies to hard openings, may want Dacron to help reduce the impact should something get a little out of control at opening time."

Also, Bill Booth made some comments on that issue, too:

"Spectra (or micro-line) is strong and tiny, so it reduces both pack volume and drag , which means you get a smaller rig and a faster canopy. Unfortunately, It has a couple of "design characteristics" (this is manufacturer talk for "problems") It is very slippery (less friction to slow the slider), and stretches less than stainless steel. This is why it hurt people and broke so many mini risers when it was first introduced. Now, I must say that the canopy manufacturers did a wonderful job handling these "characteristics" by designing new canopies that opened much slower than their predecessors. However, the fact still remains, that if you do have a rare fast opening on a microlined canopy, Spectra (or Vectran) will transmit that force to you (and your rig) much, much faster, resulting in an opening shock up to 300% higher than if you have Dacron lines. (It's sort of like doing a bungee jump with a stainless steel cable. At the bottom of your fall, your body applies the same force to the steel cable as it would to a rubber bungee cord, but because steel doesn't stretch, your legs tears off.)"

Moreover, you can opt for lighter, brass slider groomets, instead of heavier, stainless steel slider groommets. Lighter mass equals less momentum (speed) down the lines. BTW, Precision Aerodynamics favors them, saying they contribute to softer openings.

Also, on their website Performance Designs says that "larger Spectres open slower than the smaller models".

So, to sum up, my perfect choice would be large Spectre, Dacron lines, and brass slider grommets. Careful packing and deploying at no faster than 120mph (and not while tracking, especially steep tracking) will help, too. Some people also say that Psychopacking helps, but I am not sure about this.

So, to sum up, my perfect choice would be large Spectre, Dacron lines, and brass slider grommets. Careful packing and deploying at no faster than 120mph (and not while tracking, especially steep tracking) will help, too.

I have a Cobalt. I can open even from track and it opens soft as usual.

Well,ya for one thing I did sell it.Second,well a Stilleto is considered a HI-PO canopy,and if you knew me like I know me. I would be pushing it's limits,lovin the ground hunger and next thing is ,ya get the pic. I had a old GTO and I could have kept it and drove it,but the hp and torque was there so I JUST HAD TO USE IT1 In short lack of self control.
Bry

D.S.#13(Dudeist Skdiver)

The silhouette I have snivels for ever. I was playing around with packing trying to speed it up until I was pulling my nose almost completely out in front of my slider. Then on one opening I realized that was a bad Idea. Now I just pack it normal ant it opens very very slow. You might want to give one a try.
“Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, th