McBeth

Do people at your work know you skydive?

I don't really bring it up unless someone asks, but they always do. When they ask what I do for fun, or what I do on the weekends, what am I suppose to say? Skydiving is my only hobby.

I didn't like the whuffo questions at first but now I actually consider them to be a good ice breaker between me and someone else since regular conversation is hard for me. I don't watch or play sports, or any TV really, I don't listen to music, don't go to bars or clubs, etc. so all that talk is out. So people already think I'm pretty strange, which I am I guess. I never bring it up though, I wait for them to.

It's funny, the #1 whuffo question I get is "How high do you jump", and the #2 is "Do you ever jump with a snowboard?". I just got that one again today. That wouldn't be a question I'd think to ask.

If they didn't before they do now. On October 27th, I jumped in with the game ball for the homecoming game at the high school I work at. It was very cool - night dive, stadium, co-workers and students. The jumper image is not the one they see at work.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

I work at a Gliding company, and I am a producer for freeBASEfilms.com.

I jump out of the airplanes i fly for work, and i film and edit movies and documentaries about BASE jumping.

So, um, yeah. i guess i work alone. but my MHG boss was a skydiver in the 80s. he has some good stories. and he is a damn good pilot.

Hell yeah they know - had to phone them from abroad when I bent myself :$

Oh well, got 2 months off for that, and everytime I tell them I'm off to do some more jumping, they say 'be careful' [:/]

Out of 10,000 feet of fall, always remember that the last half inch hurts the most — Captain Charles W. Purcell, 1932

I REALLY didnt plan on my new career knowing. I passed interview and tests for UP railroad for train service (conductor,etc) but I femured it in 2 days after medical assesment. At least they are holding job but know looks like after getting these records sent i will need to take afunctional capacites exam which will be $700 outa pocket. Crazy thing is I am in better shape 5 months later than 80% of guys who made interview. Wont let me take original phys test i could get flying colors..be about $150 redo.

Current job..they dont let me work high places without checking that my toolbag isnt BASE gear:P
just kidding
www.911missinglinks.com the definitive truth of 9/11..the who and why, not how

You can handle the TRUTH www.theforbiddentruth.net

I tell people at work that I skydive too, but I encountered a skydiver in my travels for work recently and found it interesting that he didn't want anyone to know.

weeeeeeeeeeird - however look what came out of that encounter :P
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

Everyone that knows me at work knows I jump and do other "extreme" sports. I have been there a year and they are stll asking me why I do it.

Everytime there is some incident in the news pertaining to jumping from the weekend, they are looking for me at my desk monday morning to see if it was me or if I have inside information. :S
I guess no one watches nascar because they want to see the race, it is because they want to see the car wreck.

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

I tell people at work that I skydive too, but I encountered a skydiver in my travels for work recently and found it interesting that he didn't want anyone to know.

I got to meet you :)

My Boss hates the fact that I jump. He told me that he would fire me if I show up to work with something broken from jumping.[:/]

So if I bust myself up jumping somebody please make it look like I fell down the stairs.:)
Some day I will have the best staff in the world!!!

I can't keep a secret, and didn't even try to hide the enthusiasm when I started.:)
None of them understand why I would even want to jump, but at least I don't ever hear "perfectly good airplane" around here. Since we all fix airplanes, my co-workers know beter than most that the "perfectly good airplane" is a myth.

Matt

I got to meet you :)

hey you didn't STEAL anything - you earned that $10 - your coworker just needed to become a man of his word - and i made sure he did :P that's all ;) and i'd do it again for you in a heartbeat
"life does throw curveballs sometimes but it doesn't mean we shouldn't still swing for the homerun" ~ me

Greetings -

My bandmates know about it, and I'm pretty sure they think I'm out of my mind or have a death wish. My keyboard player is OK with it, and I think he knows it's another way of getting to know oneself at the core. The lead singer was/is concerned they'll have to find another guitarist - she's so fucking sweet!

I don't tell my students about it, as I don't think their parents would be too cool with influencing their kids in that way.

I think most people have a general misconception about the sport and they tend to assume the worst about us. It's a shame they can't understand the motivations we have or the very natural fears we must overcome to do this.

They aren't afraid for the scuba divers, though, which I find strange.

Cheers,

Gato
T.I.N.S.