Twoply

Cramping when you run

Its your body begging you to stop, listen to it, running is bad, we dont have hooves. :D

Judging by your avatar you DO have hooves
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Switching feet, or switching which foot strikes the ground when you exhale, really works.

I am basically naive and stupid, so tell me if that's serious or a joke, please...

When I do run, I get that stupid stitch in the side thingy too. >:(
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

When I do run, I get that stupid stitch in the side thingy too. >:(

I'm a ex-long-distance runner. I have had stitches like that from time to time. I remember taking deep breaths from the gut to help the pain go away. I also slow down just a little bit. You don't want to stop.

Hell, it's been 16 years since I quit running so the memory's a bit foggy... :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Interesting read.

When I was forced to run in school (yes, forced...I HATED it) I would get these horrible side-stitches (or cramps) within the first few minutes. I never knew how to get rid of them and would have to just drop the pace and walk the rest of the way.

We used to have to run every other day for this P.E. class and I found that if I drank -any- water that day (even for breakfast) before that late morning (or was it afternoon?) class I would get the side-stitch. If I abstained from liquid the stitch would not happen. My cure, but what did I know? :P

The other reason I hated running is that my throat would close up and thick mucus would form and make it hard to breathe. Thinking back, now, it might have been exercise induced asthma? Don't get it skydiving, but hey...all we do is fall, right? ;)

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Ever since I was a child I thought I was one of the few people to suffer from this.Deep not shallow breaths help me too.I have to run in the morning before any food or liquid, or I will definately suffer.And at times even food or drink to late the night before will cause this.
(fixed it)
"I'm not sure how it's going to turn out, except I'll die in the end, she said. So what could really go wrong? -----Brian Andreas

Ever since I was a child I thought I was one of the few people to suffer from this.Deep shallow breaths help me too.I have to run in the morning before any food or liquid, or I will definately suffer.And at times even food or drink to late the night before will cause this.

Just what is a deep shallow breath? Inquiring minds want to know.

That's great and all, but its still not as good as my solution. My solution ALWAYS works.

1. Don't go running, light up a nice Camel Light instead.
2. If you find yourself running, stop. Light up a nice Camel Light instead.
3. If you find yourself out of nice Camel Lights, drive (don't run) to the corner store and buy more.

:D:P
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

When out of shape people like me run, I get a cramp in the side of my abdomen. Question is, what is it that hurts when I get a cramp?

Who cares what it is, stretch out so you won't feel it! :P

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

That's great and all, but its still not as good as my solution. My solution ALWAYS works.

1. Don't go running, light up a nice Camel Light instead.
2. If you find yourself running, stop. Light up a nice Camel Light instead.
3. If you find yourself out of nice Camel Lights, drive (don't run) to the corner store and buy more.

:D:P

DAVE! >:( You are supposed to be an upstanding figure of community and a role model! >:( Encouraging smoking...shame on you!

Now go to your room. :ph34r:
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

You are supposed to be an upstanding figure of community and a role model! Mad Encouraging smoking...shame on you!

Nothing wrong with that as long as you're of legal age to consume.:D
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."