Psychoz

Questions for guys around 230 lbs.

I myself weight 230 lbs., this is not an exit weight but my true weight, and had a few questions, what size and type of canopies do you fly, both main and reserve. Next week I will be off student status and want to try some different canopies but want to stay conservative. So I was wondering what people of my same size suggest. Also what type of suit if any do you wear, I have been looking at the Bev suits "Polycotton" which seems to be for jumpers of my stature.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. And just so everyone knows I am not looking to jump a smaller canopy, just want to get ideas of what I should be trying.
So long and thanks for all the fish!!!

you'll have to check the specifics of the gear you want to be sure. at 230, you would be 260 or so out the door and that is getting towards the limits for some sport gear. i think my velocity has a max weight rating of 255 or so, not sure about my canopies. some bigger guys have gone to modified tandem rigs, if you do a search here you'll find a few threads on the subject.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

you'll have to check the specifics of the gear you want to be sure. at 230, you would be 260 or so out the door and that is getting towards the limits for some sport gear. i think my velocity has a max weight rating of 255 or so, not sure about my canopies. some bigger guys have gone to modified tandem rigs, if you do a search here you'll find a few threads on the subject.

Different signatures, but same movie, ccol.

I'm 220 lbs, and 245 lbs. out the door. I jump a 260, and that's conservative. I could go much smaller, but don't feel the need or the urge to do so.

You don't need a modified tandem rig. There's plenty of big boys jumping regular gear.

Get a somewhat baggy jumpsuit for more drag to slow you down a bit, so you don't sink-out on others in freefall.

I was 225 pounds. I have dropped some weight over the winter so I will be 200 when the season hits. As for the gear that I jump, I have a Velo 111 with a Smart 135 reserve.

You are not in the category of needing a modified tandem rig, that's nonsense. Make sure that when ordering gear, be honest about your size. All rigs that are out there will fit you and keep you safe, just be conservative about sizing to start. And if you have questions, call the manufacturer. I'm sure they will give the real info instead of some one else's "opinion" on a forum like this.

Good luck and don't sweat being 230lbs. You don't need anything "special".

How tall are you?
Don't make a fucking move till we talk.
I am the second biggest jumper in the USA and helped the First biggest motherfucker in the USA verify his gear choices...
Been helping Anvil Brothers for a looooooong time and no one's died. :D
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I weigh 240 (265 our the door) now but going through AFF I was down to 230. I was on a 240 NAV when I finished AFF and was jumping a Spectre 230 for awhile before I got a great deal on a used 260 canopy which I put 300+ jumps on. I have a Sabre 230 in my rig right now but have a Sabre2 210 on order that should get here the end of march. I really wanted to go with a 190 but my wife said NO:(. Guess I will have to wait another 400 jumps to downsize again.

Anyway what does your DZ have for rental? I would suggest renting for awhile if they have 260-240's before you go buying anything

MAKE EVERY DAY COUNT
Life is Short and we never know how long we are going to have. We must live life to the fullest EVERY DAY. Everything we do should have a greater purpose.

How tall are you?
Don't make a fucking move till we talk.
I am the second biggest jumper in the USA and helped the First biggest motherfucker in the USA verify his gear choices...
Been helping Anvil Brothers for a looooooong time and no one's died. :D

I am 5'-10" and constantly losing weight, about 5 months ago I was 250. I would love to get to 200 but that won't be for awhile. Any help you can throw at me, please do, I am a good listener.

Here are my plans for buying gear, first I will get my Cypres2, then my reserve "I am thinking of a PD253R" then my main "no ideas on that yet", then my container. I know for my container I am getting a M-Series Vector 3. My main objective in skydiving will be RW and freeflying, I have no immediate plans for swooping or CRW, so I am just looking for something that will be a little fun but more forgiving.

>I myself weight 230 lbs. . .

One of the TSO's commonly used in skydiving (C23c I believe) puts a limit of 254lbs on exit weight. This may apply to containers or reserves. Fortunately there are other standards that allow higher weights, so gear shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Once you're off student status I recommend you go down only one size (i.e. a 280 to a 260) and put a bunch of jumps on it. At your loadings, you will likely get decent penetration, flare etc with that loading. It will also give you a chance to learn more about canopy flight.

>Also what type of suit if any do you wear, I have been looking at the
>Bev suits "Polycotton" which seems to be for jumpers of my stature.

First suit - polycotton, non-spandex arms, some 'wing' under the arms. Get big grippers; will help a bit with drag. Most jumpsuit makers will add drag as needed if you tell them your weight and goals.

Eventually you'll probably want a bootie suit if you're doing RW, and you might want to consider swoop cords. These are cords that help inflate/stretch the wing to reduce your speed.

I'm 230, and have a 282. (uuber conservative)
I'm planning on a 230 after 50-100 more jumps.
I already rent 260, and they are really easy to stand up. (much more so in wind)
I have never developed indigestion from eating my words.
Winston Churchill

I'm 220lbs without gear and jump a Silhouette 210. Its enough for me to learn my skills and have good fun but placid enough to be very steady and feel confident for landing :)

loading at 1.2 at 40 jumps? be careful out there.

MB 3528, RB 1182

Hi Psychoz,

Just something to consider:

1. Think about double-wide leg straps if they are an option for any rig you might buy. This will help spread the opening shock loads over a wider area of your body.

2. BodySport USA (they're on the web) make the original Computer Controlled Fall Rate (sp???) jumpsuit.

As I say, just something to consider,

Jerry

Looks like you getting some good advice. When considering what model canopy to go with I would suggest consulting with people who know your abilities, doing your homework, deciding your future goals and how agressive of a canopy you want now, and may want to move to in the future.

Demo, Demo, Demo!

Performance Designs, Aerodyne, and Icarus along with a few others have demo programs here in the US so that you can "fly before you buy". Take advantage of them.
A side note, be honest with yourself on your fitness level. A fit 240 is quite different than an out of shape 240. Good luck in your search.

Al
If you want any additional info, please feel free to PM me.
Watch out for planters.

V3 - good - ask about the Skyhook option.
Reserve - Great choice.
AAD - Cypres2 - Excellent
What Billvon said about the main. Please review and learn his: http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/safety/detail_page.cgi?ID=47

About the suit. Please contact TonySuits and/or FliteSuits... Both make an Anvil Brothers specific RW suit. My FliteSuit has a 10" wing with ZP inside which allows me to easily vary my fall rate from 108 -126 mph. I use this for formations with those smaller than me. My TonySuit has an 8" ZP wing, but has ZP inside the sleeve liner also. I use it to easily vary my fall rate from 115-135. I use this when jumping with my fellow AB's or in larger formations.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I went to that Bodysport website and saw nothing about the computer controlled jumpsuit...b/c it sounded cool, can you tell me more about it or where I can look at?
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

I went to that Bodysport website and saw nothing about the computer controlled jumpsuit...b/c it sounded cool, can you tell me more about it or where I can look at?

Look at the Crater suit and in the description they talk about the computer designed jumpsuit, but they do not go into the technacalties (sp?) of it.

One of the TSO's commonly used in skydiving (C23c I believe) puts a limit of 254lbs on exit weight. This may apply to containers or reserves. Fortunately there are other standards that allow higher weights, so gear shouldn't be too much of a problem.

i was looking at the manual for my container when i came up with the 255 number. what standards would supersede the manufacturers recommendations and allow a higher weight?
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

How tall are you?
I am the second biggest jumper in the USA and

Dude, I think you're like #3 now. I put on some weight after my son died. I'm about 355 exit weight now.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Actually, that puts me about 8th on weight. It still surprises me that I can be standing next to someone who ways more than me; but folks will think I'm the bigger one (6'6" 240-250).

I am sorry about your son. Given enough time to grieve and embrace the sadness for awhile; eventually you can attack the increasing weight. Take your time, bro... the sky's always here.