Lucky123

Opinions on Smart reserves

Thanks for the reply. Just trying to find out if the Smart is more accepted now then it was. Just want to make sure I made a good decision since my life depends on it. I wonder if any riggers like the Smart more than PD now that they have had a chance to see them up close and personal, or if they think they are on the same playing field.

Thanks for the reply. Just trying to find out if the Smart is more accepted now then it was. Just want to make sure I made a good decision since my life depends on it. I wonder if any riggers like the Smart more than PD now that they have had a chance to see them up close and personal, or if they think they are on the same playing field.

You're going to find different opinions from lots of different people when comparing them.

IMO, I'd be happy to have either one of them. I've jumped both, and both landed and flew great. Both are well-built.

Some people are more comfortable with PDR's than Smart reserves since they've been out longer, and have worked very well for a long time.

Scott

I'm glad you have a Smart, forgot that we had spoken via e-mail last year on this very same subject. To give you a better idea of my personal view on the Smart, I had a complete Aerodyne System 4 years ago, way before I worked for them and had two rides on the Smart 120, since I have worked for them I have had one more ride on my smart, all have been sub terminal, I have also taken the 120 and the 110 Smart to terminal on both wingsuit dives and 4-way dives, just to compare the two. I find it to be a consistent, solid, reliable reserve and have had no worries landing my 120 even with 20lbs of lead on.

Now I know I might be a little biased due to the fact that i work for them, but having had two rides before this, I have been very happy that I made a Smart choice.

All reserves are tested and certified to standards set out by the FAA, our Smart is TSO's under TSO-23D, so if you choose between any of the major manufacturers you would be in safe reliable hands, some Smarter than others ... LOL ;) (sorry could not resist that one)

Let me know if you ever fly your Smart, your feed back would be welcome.

Karl Meyer
Sales Representative
Aerodyne Research
Office: 1 813 891 6300
Mobile: 1 813 841 2149
[email protected]
www.flyaerodyne.com

Just to add: Mine flew very well, good flare. Had to do a terminal deployment with a opening i was happy with. Came in half on breaks, and started a 180 turn at approx 60ft to get in to the wind. started flare at 3/4 brakes, but it still had enough flare left.

It's now tested by us stupid ones, and therefore "safer" some will say. I'm still going to go for the new reserve from pd as soon as they launch it for the market. Why? It pack smaller, giving me a 160 in a 143 container. safe? I believe so. I purchased the first complete aerodynesystem in Norway, was second to get it. I trusted the TSO system and the philosophy of the manufacturer, and I don't regret it. same reason why I'm going for the new PDR as soon as it hit's the market.

It ends up with what YOU think is the best for YOU. Good luck on your choice :)
"Once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been and there you long to return." - Da Vinci
www.lilchief.no

Have one ride on mine and can not say enough good things about it.
I am also impressed with their weight limits under the newer TSO-23D. When the new TSO allowed manufacturers to rate their reserves to whatever weight they choose, I think every one went down a notch, the Smart went up by around 10lbs. May not be a big deal, but I thought it was impressive, even more so since my exit weight is about 264lbs.