BretM05

Digital (Visual) Altimeter Questions

Hello,

I am fairly new to skydiving, but am looking for a nice altimeter to purchase. I have used both digital and analog altimeters at my local DZ, and I prefer the Digital altimeter over the Analog.

Therefore, I am looking to purchase a nice digital altimeter. It would be nice if this altimeter had log-book functions, and the ability to upload to a computer.

So far, I have been looking at two different altimeters. The VISO, and the Skytronic GFX. I dont know anybody that owns either of these alitmeters, so I dont have a good idea on the quality of these models, or the pros and cons.

Can anybody help me decide on a good digital altimeter, or give me some good review information on either the VISO or the Skytronic GFX and how they computer to each other?

Thanks!

I use a Neptune and really like it. I know nothing about the Viso but I do know some that Jump the GFX and do not particularly like it, I dont know why.

I also prefer the digital display, but keep in mind that they are not as reliable as an analog. I Once had my Neptune battery completely die without any low battery indication. I was under canopy and it was a non issue, but I believe that a digital altimeter increase the chance of one day looking over and having no altimeter at all. However I also believe that this is a chance that everyone should be prepared for.

I've had the gFX do some crazy things on me. Here's some nuances. (I've had about 80 jumps with mine now)

1) It doesn't have an on/off switch. It's supposed to do everything automatically including ground adjust itself. However there's no reassuring way to see that it's currently reading 0 feet. If it's off it'll show a reading on the ground and then you can go to do a ground reset.

2) I've had erroneous readings on the way to altitude. On my first cessna jump with it it jumped to say it was at -270 Feet when we were at 9000 feet. (ground temp that day was 30)

3) It always seems like it reads 100 or 150 feet lower than any other alti on the plane including my analog and other digitals.

4) It gets really confused on hop 'n pops. Don't bring it for those jumps.

5) No backlight -- ALL THE ADS SHOW THIS - BUT IT IS NOT A FEATURE

6) I've emailed skytronic several times about nuances and other questions and have never received a response.

Good Stuff
1) Canopy alerts. 3 alerts you can set on top of your 3 freefall alrerts

2) Easy to navigate menu

3) Time & Temp so it doubles as a watch (a compass would have made it super cool)

4) Small

5) Good wrist mount (although it costs too much.. it's a piece of plastic with elastic on it, it should come with that.

6) Easy to read

7) Lots of options

Overall I have a bit of gear fear of it and wouldn't recommend it. I feel like I got a handle of some of the nuances so I use it to confirm what my eyes are seeing -- nothing more. The person that I bought it from bought several and has had nothing but good things to say (but that dz is also in warmer weather)

Hope that helps
patrick

(should probably turn this into a review)
-Patrick

i have a viso and like the digital display alot. however- the log book is nice but it's sometimes a pain because once you've entered the log book if you don't press a button after like 3 seconds to keep it in log book mode it defaults to regular mode. also it dosen't have a computer upload connection.
diamonds are a dawgs best friend

I also prefer the digital display, but keep in mind that they are not as reliable as an analog.

Are you just saying that because of the battery incident you had? I've read that the digitals are very reliable. Just checking as I just ordered a neptune.

Thanks

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

I've read that the digitals are very reliable. Just checking as I just ordered a neptune.

I don't think it is as simple as digital = reliable or vice versa. It depends on the model and sometimes the unit. Friends' neptunes have show all kinds of readings after a jump (with new batteries and latest software). Other neptunes have worked fine.

I use a Neptune and really like it. I know nothing about the Viso but I do know some that Jump the GFX and do not particularly like it, I dont know why.

I also prefer the digital display, but keep in mind that they are not as reliable as an analog. I Once had my Neptune battery completely die without any low battery indication. I was under canopy and it was a non issue, but I believe that a digital altimeter increase the chance of one day looking over and having no altimeter at all. However I also believe that this is a chance that everyone should be prepared for.

Actually from what I've seen the digital neptune is more accurate than many of the analogs (by looking at altitudes at jump run, some analogs run 500ft different from eachother, neptunes tend to all be pretty close to eachother ..) ...

As far as the battery issue, that was an issue with some old software versions on the Neptune and has been fixed for quite some time... THey are pretty good about letting you know when the battery is low now, just make sure it's up to date and that your using the recommended batteries per the Alti-2 webpage. I jump 3 neptunes (2 audible and 1 visual) and I love them.

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I also prefer the digital display, but keep in mind that they are not as reliable as an analog.

Are you just saying that because of the battery incident you had? I've read that the digitals are very reliable. Just checking as I just ordered a neptune.

Thanks

I have had the same issue with it going blank during a jump. It was close to pull time and was really no issue, between my audible going off and the other jumpers pulling around me I knew approximately where I was. After I was under canopy the display came back on and I changed the batteries when I landed. It still recorded the entire jump just didn't show what altitude I was at when I looked at it. It's is a great piece of equipment, but like everything else in this great sport, if you don't take care of it, it will not take care of you;)
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

It's a given that a digital has a reliance on a battery that an analog (besides the pseudo analog altitrak) does not. And the lithium battery favored is not an easy one to measure remaining life due.

Analogs can have mechanical issues, esp if they get thrown about a lot. Of course that sort of abuse can result in flaky preformance from digitals as well.

It's a given that a digital has a reliance on a battery that an analog (besides the pseudo analog altitrak) does not. And the lithium battery favored is not an easy one to measure remaining life due.

so the altitrack wont read an altitude if the battery is dead?

Actually from what I've seen the digital Neptune is more accurate than many of the analogs (by looking at altitudes at jump run, some analogs run 500ft different from each other, Neptunes tend to all be pretty close to each other ..) ...

As far as the battery issue, that was an issue with some old software versions on the Neptune and has been fixed for quite some time... They are pretty good about letting you know when the battery is low now, just make sure it's up to date and that your using the recommended batteries per the Alti-2 webpage. I jump 3 neptunes (2 audible and 1 visual) and I love them.

Yes, at higher altitudes the Neptune I would agree is more accurate than most/all analogs. However, that has zero to do with how reliable it is at pull time.

As for as the battery incident, that happened about a month ago. That battery was put in the Neptune by a factory rep, at the same time that he updated all my software to the latest version, only a couple months before the incident.

I am not bashing the Neptune, I still jump mine and will continue to jump it and I like it very much. That said, it is still my opinion that a digital is not as dependable as an analog. I am not even saying that the original poster should not be buying a digital, just that he should consider it in his risk assessment.

I have seen more than one digital altimeter fail, and experienced one.

I have also seen one analog altimeter fail.

I think that we should all remember that these are secondary altimeters and we should not let them replace our primary ones, our I'sB|

so the altitrack wont read an altitude if the battery is dead?

Yes, the dial is moved by a motor so with a dead battery it won't move. When turned off, the dial is moved to the six o'clock position to make it more obvious that it isn't working, I have no idea if it does that before it uses up all the battery (I assume not).

see if you can try out a Neptune.
They are great altimeters.

L&B (visio) makes really good products as well, but I absolutly hate their menu structure. (i mean, come on, this isn't the 80's anymore - none of this secret code crap)

I'll drink to that
I've tried the Viso it work but without reading the manuel I had no Idea what the unit was doing.
So I bought a Neptune 2 weeks ago and hoped that the problems I've heard of from few years back are solved
Well I liked it alot.
two friend of my bought the Viso the day before and the one complain was the hand mount protector is reflecting the sun so the display is not easy to read.
on the other end the neptun cost $ 100 more
AM67

is that common?

If you have a time machine that goes back to mid 2004 it is - or if you're listening to people who have not learned that things have changed somewhat.

Re digi vs Analog.

I think a unit like the Galaxy is about as reliable as things get for analog altis. Problem with ANY analog (even digital "Analog" displays) is that when they stop working - they still lie to you.

Digital tend to go off. Then you know you're on your own.

I see the people who jump with flat batteries are the same people who break closure loops when they pack. I've never understood the benefit of trying to squeeze every dive out of something till it fails, and then bitching when it does.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Digital tend to go off. Then you know you're on your own.

I have seen Neptune's register wrong altitudes, randomly lose back light, and display some really weird shit. Turning off is not the common failure mode as far as I am concerned.

You are right about the people that fail to maintain them though, I just don't get it??? [:/]
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

There are and have been several digital alti's on the market. Both replies to my post have been about Neptunes. My experiences with digitals going off go back to the Digimaster in the early 90's, and later the Digitude.

I never intended my post to be replied to by everyone who has had a Neptune issue - because we've all had them.

A stuck analog is SURE to give you a wrong reading when broken - and that reading will ALWAYS be higher than you are.

My post said Digitals TEND to go off. (They obviously have other malfunction modes.)

t
It's the year of the Pig.

the only battery issue I have had is it burning through batteries if I forget to turn off the backlight, which they will tell you it will burn up the batteries. Other than that no problems. I have taken 1 back to Alti-2 for my DZ because it was burning through batteries they took it in and handed me a new one to give the customer.:)
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

I've never understood the benefit of trying to squeeze every dive out of something till it fails, and then bitching when it does.

1) Because it is just plain fun to bitch.
2) You wouldn't want us to throw out the batteries while they are still good. That is like throwing good money down the drain. I mean getting those last 5 jumps in before the batteries die would save (what?) 25 cents (USD).
3) And most importantly - just think about all of the little electrons. If you throw out the batteries early, you abandon thousands if not millions of electrons which are stuck on the negative plate of the battery. They will never get the chance to party with all of the cute protons on the other side of the battery. Come on, you would not want that to happen, right!:ph34r:

This claim needs to die. Talk to tdog about an analog failure.

Besides, batteries are less of an equipment issue, and more of a user issue. That's like saying an AAD is dangerous because you have to remember to turn it on.