Fallin4U

What's the most idiotic comment you've heard from a whuffo?

What gets me is the people who, after you very clearly explain how perspective can trick you or how air resistance works to balance the forces at terminal (and how thats not the same as initial accelleration under gravity) just blindly repeat "But I know everything falls at the same speed"

A person with an unopened parachute and a person wearing an opened parachute weigh the same.
Ask them why they don't fall at the same rate.

Watch their tiny head explode.
:D

Honestly, that doesn't even bother them:S

You just get "Oh, but thats a totally different scenario"

Me: "Why is it different"

Them: "Because its totally different, he's got an open parachute with drag and shit"

Me: "Moron!!!"

You can see why I never considered being a teacher:D:D:D

You have been speaking with Jumper03's students again haven't you?
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

one of our dz pilots asked me why we would jump...i gave him my still camera to get some pictures of us hanging from the strut of the c-182. After the jump we all watched him almost crash the plane...he was taking pics of his approach and forgot to actually fly...here's the last pic before he dropped my camera and BARELY saved the landing.

one of our dz pilots asked me why we would jump...i gave him my still camera to get some pictures of us hanging from the strut of the c-182. After the jump we all watched him almost crash the plane...he was taking pics of his approach and forgot to actually fly...here's the last pic before he dropped my camera and BARELY saved the landing.

Ummm , he should just stick to flying,, cept it looks like he did a one wheel landing!!! good save!!;)

Some one once asked me, "how often is it necessary to 'reload', (meaning 'Pack' or course,) your parachute do you have to do it EVERYTIME you jump? to which I replied, "Only on the days, I remember to take my all my meds, and the voices in my head aren't leaving me feeling suicidal... Here's your sign!:S
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

Title doesn't say it has to be skydiving related...

Visiting a divemaster buddy in Cozumel, while sitting in the bar, we strike up a conversation with a couple of girls just off one of the cruise ships for the day. When they found out we were SCUBA divers, one asks:

"How deep do you have to go to dive under the island?"

Just to clarify the 'whuffos' to me are not just people that don't skydive, they sometimes mock it, or by their lack of experience, often ask really silly questions.

Right after my first jump class I asked somebody what the symbol on their neck was. It was a closing pin necklace.
:ph34r:

Just to clarify the 'whuffos' to me are not just people that don't skydive, they sometimes mock it, or by their lack of experience, often ask really silly questions.

Right after my first jump class I asked somebody what the symbol on their neck was. It was a closing pin necklace.
:ph34r:

Um, that would be the definition ... but I thank you, Captain Obvious, for your explanation. :P:P

:D:D:D

You're funny. And I mean that.

:)
'Shell

I don't have too many "stupid whuffo question" responses even though I get asked them everyday.

What happens if your parachute doesn't open?

Is probably the most irritation question - but much less irritating if Asked by a cute girl.

You have the rest of your life to solve the problem. Is a fun response, but they usually don't get it.

A thoughtless question usually warrants a thoughtless answer. But then again, if we want to promote our sport and see it grow - we can't snap back at every whuffo out there. :|
=========Shaun ==========

I have no problem with the dumb/idiotic comments or questions, and I've heard quite a few. Some people are genuinely interested but have no idea how it all works. Questions like that I am happy to answer, even if they seem ridiculously dumb.

Good for you. Too many people take a condescending elitist approach to non-jumpers. I imagine that many of the questions I may have for a base jumper or surfer may seem stupid.

Why make someone feel like a dumbass when they are genuinely curious? Be an ambassador and when they hit you with the age old "perfectly good airplane" comments smile through the inner groan and feed their curiousity. A polite skydiver entertaining my whuffo questions got me into the sport and I in turn have got a couple to try it also.

It really takes no great effort to be polite.
My biggest handicap is that sometimes the hole in the front of my head operates a tad bit faster than the grey matter contained within.

There are questions designed to be insulting.
Those are pretty rare. Most questions are genuine interest. Usually, I will give a minute to be polite
because it helps the sport and dz.

A dz that antagonizes the city and the locals will suffer.
Everybody has their own story of this.

The most common issue is the non-jumper who sees a cutaway and tells everyone that he saw someone go in.
I direct them to someone on staff.

I agree not to be insulting to those that ask questions intended to be mean, just don't hold their hand and excuse their behavior.

When it comes to comments lacking common sense, those who know me find humor in the sarcasm.

As for "Didn't your parachute open?"

"I got freaked out a little landing off my first time, I didn't perform a proper PLF, and if I had, I probably wouldn't have been injured landing off." would be appropriate if they didn't proceed it with something about being suicidal.

Rewarding idiocy is NEVER doing them a service.

A whuffo once asked me that in the event that the reverse didn't work, what did we do? Call the plane to fly down and catch us? She was totally serious.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I actually had someone ask if it's possible to eat while in freefall.

I saw a tunnel rat eating a wendy's burger while back flying in the eloy tunnel, so YES!!

History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
--Dwight D. Eisenhower

Okay... I'll ante up. When I made my first tandem (I was the idiot whuffo in question then) I made it all the way through signing the waiver, watching a video about what the waiver meant... taking instruction about basic safety, meeting my TM and walking out to the plane...

Before it registered with me that making a skydive involved an AIRPLANE RIDE. :$

I was so pumped about the jump it didn't occur to me.

Bring the laughs. I deserve(d) it.
Owned by Remi #?

I was asked at an undisclosed location in Georgia during December, "If a turtle could fly". :S:P

I've jumped with a turtle. The answer is "No".:P

Me too and they really do suck, especially if there is a camera involved
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?