PeteW

HELP! MY new dog keeps peeing in the house.

Me and my Girlfriend got Shelby and two year old Rotty Shepard cross about two months ago from a foster home. She was unwanted and I think even returned twice. When we got her she knew nothing and had no manners. But after even a week she was learning the rules of the house. It is not hard to train her, she is a very smart dog. Sometimes stubborn but willing to please. She is house trained for the most part but we find these spots of pee. She does it when she is lying down or sleeping. Sometimes its small amount other times its a full bladder worth. She asks to go outside and we walk her often. My gf asked the vet and they said get us a urine sample. I am not sure if its a bladder infection or some other kind of problem. Its not lack of attention because we spend a lot of time with her. Any advice is appreciated.

Are you sure it's while she's sleeping?

Crate training will help... they won't use the bathroom where they sleep. Put her in the crate at night and then take her straight outside in the morning and praise her like crazy when she does her business. It may take a while but she'll get the hint.

As for the urine sample... get the specimen cup from the vet... make a holder out of an old coat hanger... et viola!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You def need to get the dog to the Vet....

it sounds to me that even if you crate train the pooch (which you should do anyway, gives the dog a safe place) that will not fix this. Sounds medical and not because the dog is peeing in the house.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Had a dog that leaked when it slept. Turned out to be kidney problems. Fortunately a change in diet made the problem manageable for the most part.

I agree with others, a trip to the Vet is in order.
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

some female dogs do that after they have been fixed, mine was the same there are hormonal drugs they give them to stop it. She is cute. Alyx used to pee in her sleep so if shes been fixed chances are its the same problem. I cant remember what the drugs were called but she had them for 10 years without any problems. Best let the vet check her over
```````````````````````````````````
" Cant keep a good woman down "
Angels have wings, but devils can fly !

Its a lot easier to get a pee sample from a dog than it is to get one from a cat. Trust me- I've done both! We had a diabetic collie and needed to dip her urine 2 or 3 times a day to see where her blood sugar was at. We used a disposable pie pan and slid it under her when she was going. Never once got peed on either!

And if you absoultely can't get a sample, bring the dog to the vet anyway. If needed, they can get a sample directly from his bladder. It definitely sounds like a medical problem to me.

We have had abused dogs in the past and she shows no signs of abuse. She isn't timid or anything. But I hate animal abusers too. Every animal we have had is spoiled beyond belief.

Ok we will start attempting the pee capture today!! Thanks everyone for your advice.

Oh ya she is just as cute as she looks too. Makes us laugh everyday.