grue

I wish I had a rewind button so I could have done something useful, instead of going to college.

Well, I got a "big bucks" degree and feel the same way. Should have become a deep sea welder, or something with a little excitement involved.

"Once we got to the point where twenty/something's needed a place on the corner that changed the oil in their cars we were doomed . . ."
-NickDG

I am currently about 6 months (depending on whether the experiment gods are smiling on me) away from completing my degree and am slowly coming to the realisation that I might just get out of it alive with a small shred of sanity intact. I was lucky, though, in that I managed to fool a government organisation to give me a scholarship, otherwise I would not have been able to do it.

As for a job afterwards.......I might need alot of tequlia and alot of sitting on a beach smoking many illegal substances in a bid to erase recent school related events before I can bring myself to think about looking for a job in an industry I am now not sure I want to work in.

Hang in there.

what degree might that be? My sister and my gf both have a degree in english. One is working for a court house in orange county and the other works in the SC Jhonson Corporate offices
I may not agree with what you have to say but i'll defend to the death your right to say it.

I dropped out after 1 year of IT studies, and now have the best job in the world ;) Climbing and sea kayaking (and more) makes my living.

... I guess I'll get back to the university eventually, though.

After my freshman year, I took time off and went to work for Microsoft. I went back to school because I wanted to make my family happy. What a stupid dumb retard asshole move. I made more that year than I have in the four years since. >:(
cavete terrae.

I look at it differently...college was a fun time for me.

1. It delayed having to join the real world.
2. I learned many new drinking games.
3. Co-eds were invented by God for the pleassure of the young and virile.
4. I learned that having an education did not preclude people being idiots...it just made them smarter idiots.
5. Did I mention the co-eds?
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

Good man, good man, I agree completely.

Face it, for the vast majority of the people in the fine U.S. of A. (can't speak for the work situation in other countries) you don't end up in a career that involves whatever is written on your degree. Just consider it a starting point, and see where it takes you.

ANY college degree will always make your application look better, no matter what the job you're seeking.

GOD DAMN if only that were true. Imagine going to a strip club and instead of the smoking hot honey saying "hi baby, you're hot, give me money" as she hung upside down from the pole she said "hi baby, you're hot, wanna let me tell you about some 6000-series aluminum I was alloying in the shop this morning?"

:o I would be broke sooooooo fast.

Elvisio "not brains or boobs, brains AND boobs" Rodriguez

I dropped out after 1 year of IT studies, and now have the best job in the world ;) Climbing and sea kayaking (and more) makes my living.

... I guess I'll get back to the university eventually, though.

After my freshman year, I took time off and went to work for Microsoft. I went back to school because I wanted to make my family happy. What a stupid dumb retard asshole move. I made more that year than I have in the four years since. >:(

The only person you have to impress is yourself.

That said, college for me means exactly what it was ment to, I work in the field I studied, for myself, and manage my business better due to my education. I do feel that specialized degrees are the way to go. The broad degrees like "business" or "history" can be non directional.

My accounting major seems to have paid off, and I haven't even finished the diploma yet!!!

Oooh, I wish I had paid more attention in accounting.[:/] My business sense is all pretty hard won stuff. Made more than a few mistakes along the way. With that said, being an air traffic controller has been pretty lucrative, enough to at least hire an accountant.:)

You have a degree?!! Get thee to a passport office. Start with an Australian working vacation visa. Spend the next three or four years traveling the world. You will quickly learn that having that useless degree makes it a)easier to get a job, and b) infinitely easier to get a work visa. When you get back to America you will find employers will value both your formal as well as your worldly education.

The Smartest thing on here ever said!!!!!!!!! congrats on learning that , too bad it was a litle late.
Long story short my plan for my kids are this, now pay attention out there!!!
All the money saved for college, I will put down 20% on 2 two family houses, Tell my daughter to take a short course for sec. or something . She will be 18 living at home with a full time job owning 2 two family houses, getting huge tax refunds with the investments and her income and the houses will be appreciating, and unlike college she will actually grow up and learn responsibility. She will not be part of the rat race and wont have to depend on job security wich nowandays is an oxymoron:)

I semi feel the same way.

However, the only reason I think I got the job I currently do was because of a well written and honest cover letter along with the fact that I graduated from a competitive university in 3.5 years with a good gpa.

Is my degree useless? I'd argue YES about 90% of the time.

You could think of it as a stepping stone on the journey of discovering what the hell it is that you really want to do for a living. You can scratch professional college student off the list. Heh.

There is always grad school, ya know, once you figure out what you really want to do. :P

The benefits of your degree are largely dependent upon what you are willing to make them. If you spent all that time in school with the expectation that once you got your degree people would just line up to give you a job then it really doesn't matter what your degree is in, you are bound to be dissappointed.
However, if you are willing to take that degree, whetever it is, an use it as an example of what you can achieve then you will be making use of it, regardless of whether you job is related to your degree.
The world doesn't owe you a thing just because you went to college. So you have to start at the bottom of the ladder...so what? Almost everyone does. As an employer the things I valued most in an employee were dedication to the job. Not neccessarily to the company, but to the job. Get a job. Give it 100% effort. Show up for work on time every day (NO EXCEPTIONS!). Keep your job, don't bounce from job-to-job. (Would you hire someone who had 4 different jobs in the last 18-24 months?)
If you do these things I can promise you that it won't be long before a potential employer looks at your resume and thinks to himself, "This guy has what it takes. He takes his job seriously, he's not lazy, and he is smart enough and dedicated enough to get a college degree. I think I'll hire him."
I was 40 when I went back to school to get my degree. In two more years I'll have that degree. And like every other freshly minted college grad I'll be starting at the bottom. Granted, my years of experience will give me an advantage, but in the end I just did things backwards than most.

Because I think I got the most worthless degree in the world, as evidenced by my piles of debt from getting the stupid thing, and my total inability to find a job that isn't a complete joke. :(

Nothing compared to me!

I have Art History & Japanese!

Beat that!

And I work with computers.

;)
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

Because I think I got the most worthless degree in the world, as evidenced by my piles of debt from getting the stupid thing, and my total inability to find a job that isn't a complete joke. :(

So, the mailroom gig isn't paying your bar tab. [:/]
"No cookies for you"- GFD
"I don't think I like the sound of that" ~ MB65
Don't be a "Racer Hater"

...If you spent all that time in school with the expectation that once you got your degree people would just line up to give you a job then it really doesn't matter what your degree is in, you are bound to be dissappointed...

At the time I was in, EEs were the big bucks. Every one of us EE grads got job offers before graduation.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

My advanced years have taught me it wasn't the particular degree, (specific degrees for specific jobs excepted), but the grind of the process. When under severe pressure, (I work for a large law firm), the stress of planning for 3 finals in 2 days has served me well when the shit hits the fan. The old multi-tasking in a fast pace environment clap-trap. Is there any degree less useful in the real world than my B.A. in psychology?

My advanced years have taught me it wasn't the particular degree, (specific degrees for specific jobs excepted), but the grind of the process. When under severe pressure, (I work for a large law firm), the stress of planning for 3 finals in 2 days has served me well when the shit hits the fan. The old multi-tasking in a fast pace environment clap-trap. Is there any degree less useful in the real world than my B.A. in psychology?

That's what I've got :S

I mean, I have my acceptance to grad school to go get my PhD whenever I feel ready, but I've gotta get rid of my undergrad debt first [:/]
cavete terrae.