packing_jarrett

OpinionSSSSS

Three and five look great. I didn't vote because there is no option for multiple votes.

I don't see anything wrong with a racer at all. Riggers generaly don't like them because the reserve is a pain to close.
Unless there is something I'm not aware of, unlike most container manufacturers I think this is the only one that didn't need any revisions. For example vector, V2,V3- Mirage G3, G4. Not to say that those containers aren't good, they are all excellent. its just that racer, even though not that popular, was done right enough that they did no improvements over the years.
Oh and it is not free fly friendly or very safe for CRW

Gunnery Sergeant of Marines
"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

The modern Racers are absolutely freefly-friendly. They have great tuck tabs and stay closed better than many other modern rigs!

And I've got well over 2000 CRW jumps on my Racers without any issues. If you have a rigger who knows how to seat a pop-top well, CRW is just not an issue (though since he's buying a Power Racer, I suspect he's not doing much CRW!)

W

This statement is completely false...I'm curious why you feel this way though.

edit to add - Also they are not any harder to close (IMO they are easier), riggers generally don't like them because they are unfamiliar with them.
Miami

The modern Racers are absolutely freefly-friendly. They have great tuck tabs and stay closed better than many other modern rigs!

And I've got well over 2000 CRW jumps on my Racers without any issues. If you have a rigger who knows how to seat a pop-top well, CRW is just not an issue (though since he's buying a Power Racer, I suspect he's not doing much CRW!)

W

I was hoping you would reply to this thread... ;)

Ditto on the tuck tabs...they are bulletproof. Never had problems with mine, and I'm constantly tucking in tabs for others on various rigs.
Miami

edit to add - Also they are not any harder to close (IMO they are easier), riggers generally don't like them because they are unfamiliar with them.

I see that on yor website you have a link to Jump shack but no one else. Please don't be threated that what I type here may affect your racer sales. I hardly think that anything I have to say will keep this jumper from buying one since he has already picked out several designs.

To answer your question- Since when is the main flap closed in the proper direction on a racer protect the pin from the realtive wind in a stand or a sit? Unless they have changed it is two skinny tuck tabs or velcro facing the BOC . The realtive wind in a sit or stand can blow that open. This is why they are not free fly friendly.

They are not CRW friendly because of the exposed reserve pop top. I don't think you do CRW or you would know that if a line gets trapped under the pop top from an entaglement or a wrap you can't reach it to cut it or get it free and deploying a reserve to clear it is not the thing to do in CRW unless you want to be in deeper shit. before saying someones statement is completely false one should have knowledge of the subject. :P

First, I typed generally riggers don't like them. I didn't type all. What I typed meant that there are riggers out there that have an easy time of closing a racer reserve. what you typed changd my meaning to say no riggers like closeing this rig.

Second, I typed a pain to close. I didn't type hard to close. There is a difference IMO

Thirdly, riggers can be familiar if they read the manual like they are supposed and the FAR says to do when packing. They are a pain because the rig has to be flipped over to close two loops. It is somewhat difficult to riggers who don't get much practice and since racers aren't on the the field like most. I would think that most riggers don't get much practice with the technique that makes them easy to pack.
If we are talking about the same thing then I guess we agree on that part.

"I would like it if I were challenged mentally at my job and not feel like I'm mentally challenged." - Co-worker

To answer your question- Since when is the main flap closed in the proper direction on a racer protect the pin from the realtive wind in a stand or a sit? Unless they have changed it is two skinny tuck tabs or velcro facing the BOC . The realtive wind in a sit or stand can blow that open. This is why they are not free fly friendly.

That's interesting, since 'stereotyped' freeflying is head down... So is Vector 3 bad for head down, since the flap points upwards... I know what you mean, but your argument could be worded better.

I see that on yor website you have a link to Jump shack but no one else. Please don't be threated that what I type here may affect your racer sales. I hardly think that anything I have to say will keep this jumper from buying one since he has already picked out several designs.

They are not CRW friendly because of the exposed reserve pop top. I don't think you do CRW or you would know that if a line gets trapped under the pop top from an entaglement or a wrap you can't reach it to cut it or get it free and deploying a reserve to clear it is not the thing to do in CRW unless you want to be in deeper shit. before saying someones statement is completely false one should have knowledge of the subject. :P

First, I typed generally riggers don't like them. I didn't type all. What I typed meant that there are riggers out there that have an easy time of closing a racer reserve. what you typed changd my meaning to say no riggers like closeing this rig.

Second, I typed a pain to close. I didn't type hard to close. There is a difference IMO

Thirdly, riggers can be familiar if they read the manual like they are supposed and the FAR says to do when packing. They are a pain because the rig has to be flipped over to close two loops. It is somewhat difficult to riggers who don't get much practice and since racers aren't on the the field like most. I would think that most riggers don't get much practice with the technique that makes them easy to pack.
If we are talking about the same thing then I guess we agree on that part.

Ok, and you are replying to someone who may or may not do CRW but Wendy (faulknerwn) who replied to your first comment has more than 3 times the amount of CRW jumps than the total amount of jumps you have listed. Yes you have to have a rigger who knows how to pack them, that is why Jump Shack has (a) an instruction manual and (b) an instructional DVD that shows you how to pack their container. If your rigger can get the pilotchute seated properly you would have to try to wedge a line underneath the pop top. as far as being freefly unfrendly that is even more of a total load of crap. My 11 year old recer with all the velcro riser housings and a velcro pin cover have never failed me while freeflying. The newer recers, which I plan to have one built for me before the end of the year are even more safe. But as with any rig it is only as safe as you the owner make it. My current rig's velcro is getting close to needing to be replaced and I'll have it done at the next repack cycle. ANY container can malfunction if not properly maintained, but it is not the manufacturer's nor the rigger's responsibility to maintain your rig for you. So do not blame them for a rig that you witnessed a riser coming out of the housings, or a premature deployment, go over and talk to the person that has a problem with their container and tell them that they might want to maintain their equipment a little better.

Sorry for the rant, I'm done now.:P
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

That's interesting, since 'stereotyped' freeflying is head down... So is Vector 3 bad for head down, since the flap points upwards... I know what you mean, but your argument could be worded better.

That may be a matter of semantics. as you said you knew what I was talking about.:)

Seeing as how I don't sell racers I seriously doubt my sales of them are threatened. I just really like them and provide a link there.

When was the last time you inspected a racer? Or talked with someone who is a racer owner? The pin protection is fine...I freefly frequently in mine and there are no problems.

While I don't have Wendy's knowledge of crw, that does not mean I am a crwdog as well (closed 16th in the 28 way diamond for the Mississippi state record actually). I would venture to call my knowledge adequate.

First, I typed generally riggers don't like them. I didn't type all.

Never said you did...rest of my statement was just laying out my opinion. Sorry you took it wrong.
Miami

[reply
Ok, and you are replying to someone who may or may not do CRW but Wendy (faulknerwn) who replied to your first comment has more than 3 times the amount of CRW jumps than the total amount of jumps you have listed. Yes you have to have a rigger who knows how to pack them, that is why Jump Shack has (a) an instruction manual and (b) an instructional DVD that shows you how to pack their container. If your rigger can get the pilotchute seated properly you would have to try to wedge a line underneath the pop top. as far as being freefly unfrendly that is even more of a total load of crap. My 11 year old recer with all the velcro riser housings and a velcro pin cover have never failed me while freeflying. The newer recers, which I plan to have one built for me before the end of the year are even more safe. But as with any rig it is only as safe as you the owner make it. My current rig's velcro is getting close to needing to be replaced and I'll have it done at the next repack cycle. ANY container can malfunction if not properly maintained, but it is not the manufacturer's nor the rigger's responsibility to maintain your rig for you. So do not blame them for a rig that you witnessed a riser coming out of the housings, or a premature deployment, go over and talk to the person that has a problem with their container and tell them that they might want to maintain their equipment a little better.

Sorry for the rant, I'm done now.:P

read carefully-

I didn't even read Wendy's post because I didn't see it. I didn't get an email saying she responded and I didn't sunscribe to the thread. After reading it she wrote if the pop top is seated correctly. IF doesn't mean it is. and pertains to the rigger be good at closing which I addressed in my response to Miami.
Also, shoot me for having some knowledge handed down from other CRW dogs who do have plenty jumps (like Wendy) to have credibility and saying that racers weren't good for the reason I stated. That is a debate that should be left to the CRW forums anyway.

I am a rigger and have some experience with racers. so you are preaching to the chior.

Since we are quoting credentials I see by your profile that you have all the credentials you need to make such a post. No ratings, A license and 250 jumps.

It is has become discipline standard to have the modern tuck tabs and closings for a rig to be free fly friendly. (I'm sure someone will have a rebutle for that too.) I based my statement on dscipline standard. I didn't base my statement on that you were lucky with in 250 jumps not to have an opening prematurely and you do what most don't and that is maintiain your rig. If you have had it for the entire 250 jumps. Or have been free flying stable for the entire 250 jumps.
So your one case compared to how every many cases pertaining to the subject doesn't make me wrong or you right and vice versa.
So I guess we are both a total load of crap.

Hell- the whole thread is a load of crap now. The guy just wanted some opinons- I give mine (saying I didn't there was anything wrong with a racer) and and everyone who sells or jumps racers take it personally and gets brave behind a computer screen. No offense to you Wendy, your post wasn't anything but informative (since I just read it) from your experience.

IMO I don't think that anyone should apologize for a rant after you made it. If anyone was truely sorry they wouldn't have done it.

Now I'm done.

I think I'm going to order a new power racer for myself for hanukkah. What do you think about these designs.

Secondly there have been major discussions about racers in the past. What are your views about them now. Pros/ Cons?

Well i've already said my piece about the pro/cons i voted for number 3. Number 5 looks pretty cool with the large hammer but without knowing how big a poptop you want I don't know how it would turn out. I'm supposing you colored those in but are looking at ordering a 2K3???

My suggestions would be this:

Cordoura body w/ parapack backpad and inside of legstraps.

Double thick leg pads!!!

All in all $30 dollars in extras for a little bit of comfort is not a bad deal!!!:P
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

The biggest hassle with packing Racers is that old tools are not Cypres-compatible.
I struggled - for many years - with steel T-bodkins, but discarded them as soon as a German rigger told me about ghost loops (more than a decade ago). Now ghost loops are available free from Jump Shack.
Ghost loops are temporary loops, inserted by the ripcord pins early in the pack job. You close the flaps the same way you would close a Javelin or Vector, and only late in the process do you change techniques to use the ghost loops to suck the (final) closing loops through the pack job.
The bottom line is: if you use ghost loops, Racers are easy to pack.

Steel t-bodkins - which are not Cypres-compatible - belong in the dumpster!

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

According to your logic, we should not use semi-Pop-Tops for CreW either.
When Pop-Tops are packed sloppily, it is easy to snag some else's suspension lines under your reserve pilot chute.
That excludes: Advance, Concept, Conquest, Dolphin, Genesis, Javelin, Vortex and Wings.