airtwardo

Hanging it up ealier than ...'Forever'

How many people do ya know that 'talked' about jumping for EVER...but hung 'em up much earlier?

Talking with my Mom today, she saw an old jumping buddy at the mall.

He asked if I was still skydiving...he'd quit 20 years ago.

She told him yes, I still jump a lot of demos etc...
She said jokingly, "It's all your fault, you brought him out the 1st time!"

Ole Tom said, "Yeah but I didn't tell him to STAY FOREVER!" :ph34r:

My old college roomie quit shortly after graduating, lost some friends on Cowboys Caravan.

Another hometown friend still has the 1st generation Wongerhog he bought new and jumped 3 times...:S

Got any friend that fell by the wayside?

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

In my uppity 100 jump wonder stage I was told by an old dog.. "10 years. I've seen them come and I've seen them go. You won't make 10 years in this sport."

Well, 22 years in and the new 100 jump wonders can't tell us apart anymore.

Lots of people think they'll stay, but don't. I think a lot more people fall in love with telling people they are a skydiver more than they fall in love with skydiving itself.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Lots of people think they'll stay, but don't. I think a lot more people fall in love with telling people they are a skydiver more than they fall in love with skydiving itself.

Interesting insight on that, t. I think that may definitely be the case for some.

I've heard the average time in sport is 7 years. Life changes around you, and some leave the sport for new things, maybe having never been so fully committed. Others seem to dive in hard, join teams, go hard core, and then burn out. I've been a part time weekend jumper for over 30 years. I think the trick for me is pacing myself.B|

I had two friends in college who were jumpers. One got married to a very strong-minded woman; the other said that she'd make him quit within 6 months.

I moved to New England shortly after that. When I came back 6 months later, newly-married-guy was still (occasionally) jumping; the other one had hooked up with a girl who made a few jumps to catch him, and hadn't been out in 4 months :ph34r:

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

It's cheaper that way;)

.Karnage Krew Gear Store

I started AFF with my wifes Uncle and his brother. The brother quit after failing level 3 for the 4th time (or was it level 4 for the 3rd time) anyway he never got comfortable in the air. Her Uncle made about 30 jumps and quit. He just wasn't into it. 7 years later I ams till at it.
You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

Several times I've seen happy jumpers announce their engagement, with "She says I can keep jumping after we're married." Not too long after the wedding I see them showing up to sell their gear.[:/]:D:P Oh well. You make your choices.

Vskydiver made/begged me to sell my motorcycles after we got married. Another thing to thank her for. She probably saved my life.:o:S:D

Oh yeah... Kevin Jones... a deaf guy who was in college at the time. I was friends with his older brother when they lived in my hometown. Our moms shared stuff on raising deaf kids. Anyway, Kevin's parents divorced and they moved to Delaware. So, 18 years later he pops back into my life as his grandmother and father still live in the area, so we hit it off, hanging out with the deaf crowd. He'd started skydiving the year before and loved it. After a month of cajoling and persuading me to try it, then a couple more weeks to try ONE STINKIN' tandem, I finally cracked under the pressure and did it. Then started the S/L progression the next week. He was still working his way to the A license so he had to jump with my instructor as well. So we spent that summer going to the DZ almost every weekend. Then just as quickly as he jumped into my life, he jumped back out, having to go back to college.

That bastard never jumped again, despite vowing he was going to jump forever. :| I'm still going... :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Vskydiver made/begged me to sell my motorcycles after we got married. Another thing to thank her for. She probably saved my life.:o:S:D

Yeah, well... I only got into the sport because I wanted to date the jumpmaster. He was/is a hottie! I never wanted to actually skydive! Who would have thought I'd still be doing something I never wanted to do in the first place 23+ years later!

{{{No, John! You still can't have a motorcycle! Quit asking!}}}

in my first jump class where about 5-6 close friends.. 3 of us kept jumping. of the three of us i am the last one that is still jumping as the other guys did not stay around long at all.. barley off student status and they where gone..
Joe
www.greenboxphotography.com

Hell, just look through some 3-4 year old posts on this site. You'll see a ton of "I'm jumping forever! I'd never stop, not even for a million dollars would I stop!!" .... the majority of them aren't around anymore.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

My ex b/f. We started jumping at the same time (it was his fault, too). He quit when he broke his leg 5 years later. He'll never jump again.

Steve and Jeff each had about 100 jumps when I started. They both quit about 6 years later; neither has jumped since but Steve keeps telling me he's going to jump again "soon."

Harry had almost 1000 jumps from the 70's when he came to the dz in 1990 to get back into it. He quit again in 2002. Also keeps talking about getting back into it, but I doubt he will.

Gregg threw me out of the plane on my first jump. He quit in the mid-90's. Recently reconnected with him; says he keeps his rig in date (he's a rigger) just in case he can "find the time" to get back out to a dz.

...made/begged me to sell my motorcycles after we got married. Another thing to thank her for. She probably saved my life. :o:S:D

Made or begged...???;)

My wife & I had been dating / living together for a couple years when I had to call late one night to explain how to use a bail-bondsman to get me outta jail...:ph34r:

I'd balled up a crotch rocket at 130 with CHP in pursuit...:$

Next morning we got to the wrecking yard to get my office keys from the bike, and when she sees the pieces of it in 3 separate boxes...I get the old~YOU HAVE A DECISION TO MAKE speech! :ph34r:

That was the extent of HER 'begging'...;)

Rice burner was wrecked anyway, but selling the Harley was a real kick in the....:(

Took a decade, but finally got another putt-putt, so KEEP TRYIN' John! :)

( I can tell, she's weakening!):P

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I laugh at the people that have ~100 jump or less and decide to go get a tattoo of something skydiving related. In 2-3 years odds are they will have quit the sport and are now left with a tattoo that in noway relates to something they are still involved in. :D
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Bingo. Thats me. I thought Id be in it for the long haul but after some thought I realized I was much happier telling people I jumped then actual jumping. I made it to 32 jumps got my license and a rig and realized I didnt really wanna jump anymore, plus for a broke ass college student it was just to much money (although If I did really love it I couldve have made the finances work).

Oh well, no regrets.
2 BITS....4 BITS....6 BITS....A DOLLAR!....ALL FOR THE GATORS....STAND UP AND HOLLER!!!!

In 2-3 years odds are they will have quit the sport and are now left with a tattoo that in noway relates to something they are still involved in.

The same could be said for those with military tattoos. Its not unusual for one to get a tattoo for life experiences.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

I laugh at the people that have ~100 jump or less and decide to go get a tattoo of something skydiving related. In 2-3 years odds are they will have quit the sport and are now left with a tattoo that in noway relates to something they are still involved in. :D

That brought back a funny memory. At a dz I worked at years ago this guy named John....42 yo biker...comes out and takes the SL course.
Very soon he has 25 jumps and "skydiving was his life".
He showed up at the dz one saturday with this tattoo on his right calf. It was an open rainbow colored square with jumper hanging under it. It covered the back and sides of the entire calf. He broke his ankle soon thereafter and we never saw John again.
I did see his gear....the kid he sold it to was using it.
I wonder how that tat looks today.

Another note in relation to the original question. I'm the only one still jumping of my original crowd of ten.
Most only made it a couple years....a pair did ten.

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

I know... what a bunch of dumbasses! :D I've never gotten a tattoo. Probably never will, but I'm still jumping. :P
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Another note in relation to the original question. I'm the only one still jumping of my original crowd of ten.
Most only made it a couple years....a pair did ten.

John Woo said that out of the group of 17 that did the S/L course with him at Ridgely, MD, in 1982 or thereabouts, he's the only one still jumping, the rest of them stopped shortly after the course.

[replyI know... what a bunch of dumbasses! :D I've never gotten a tattoo. Probably never will, :P

pussy

Yeah, but if I get one, then quit the next year, I WILL be a dumbass! Call me a pussy all you want... :P