JohnRich

Erasing Traumatic Memories

"My bad memories make up part of who I am."

~Yeah...but what if yer an asshole?! :ph34r:

If you can honestly say you think having those memories of real traumatic events makes you a better person, you're uninformed & not being realistic.

I have a trunk-load of baggage in that area and always just 'dealt' with it like a 'real' guy is supposed to.

Not until we adopted the kids, and all that goes along with that, did I realize that several kinds of trauma can, does, and will effect your life in a MOST negative manner...FOREVER!

Yes...we all are a mix of what we've been through, what we've seen.
But unfortunately, on some level, who we WILL be is also a factor of that mix.

If I could do something to erase some of the things my kids lived through, I would do so in a second.

Their lives will not ever be the 'same' as some-one's that doesn't have those kind of ghosts walking around.

History effects outlook which effects the future.

In 'my' case, the things I've seen & been through most definitely have a negative effect.
I too am I 'mix' of my memories, but I was happier, more 'sane' before those events changed 'who' I am.

Pull that shit from the old 'hard drive' with a pill?

Where do I get in line!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I've been through some crazy shit, mostly war related. I would say that if I didn't have those memories at all, I would most definately be more fucked up than I am. But I come from a school of thought that says everyone is fucked up(in the head and otherwise) so really...I feel it would be a dis-service to completely erase these memories.

This is a classic case of science not looking past the glasses sliding down its nose...The ramifications of such a drug would be far reaching in my opinion, and not felt for decades to come.
Someday Never Comes

Nope. Good memories and bad memories both combine to make us who we are.

However, I could see the use of the drug in the case of post traumatic stress disorder to the point of complete disablilty.

I second that !
```````````````````````````````````
" Cant keep a good woman down "
Angels have wings, but devils can fly !

If scientists developed a pill that would erase traumatic memories from your brain, would you take one?

At LEAST one! :|

:S:S
Everytime I read a post from Stitch, Andy C, or Turtlespeed! :D:D:D:P:P
*My Inner Child is A Fucking Prick Too!
*Everyones entitled to be stupid but you are abusing the priviledge
*Well I'd love to stay & chat, But youre a total Bitch! {Stewie}

Brilliant question John. Something I really had to give some thought to. First, the word 'traumatic' really has different meanings to different people. With that said, I personally have had what I consider 3 traumatic events in my life. I am currently dealing with PTSD. I've gone through the phases in regard to memory of each event. I've gone from no memory to partial, to almost complete memory.

I would have to vote no in regard to erasing these memories because something good actually came from each of these events. I definitely became a better, stronger person due to them.

Chris

If scientists developed a pill that would erase traumatic memories from your brain, would you take one?

At LEAST one! :|

Yeah, if they could create a "forget your ex-wife" pill, now maybe that would be something worth having.

Hmmm - I'm thinking about a Ben Afleck Film . . .
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun

Jim, A-FUCKIN-MEN.

The big ticket items can never be removed from our psyche without a psycic evisceration (lobotomy?) but there are some things, certain details, that add nothing to the mix.

I think i would be a much more well adjusted person not having the image of just how clean, white and shiny the inside of a freshly emptied skull is burned into the front of my mind.

A drug that can surgically excise specific images is sci-fi but if it wasn't i'd be camping out with my yoda mask and light sabre.
namaste, motherfucker.

Wanting a "pill" that will fix every little thing that goes wrong or causes discomfort in one's life is just a sign of weakness.

I was trying to think of a movie that has had this kind of a theme in it. And I came up with: "The Stepford Wives". They were perfect in every way, so happy, so predictable, but so artificial, and so boring...

From the little I've read on medical forums, it isn't that the memory is erased... it is that that memory is dulled somewhat... so the person isn't reliving the experience every time the memory pops into their head.

My concern would be how this type of treatment would affect a legal proceeding... as in the scenario of rape.

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

I wouldn't trust it would only take the bad memories!! Talk about selective memory. Wasn't there a movie close to the same topic? KIDS IN THE HALL....Brain Candy!?! "remember your happiest thought"....They froze up like vegetables:o