skymama

Madrid or Barcelona

Which is the better vacation spot for a few days with teenagers? No need to tell me about dz's, this won't be a skydiving vacation. Any insight on these cities, or someplace better in Spain, is greatly appreciated! :)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I don't really know anything about Spain, but I probably would go for Barcelona over Madrid. Just a gut feeling that I would have better sights to see there.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Which is the better vacation spot for a few days with teenagers? No need to tell me about dz's, this won't be a skydiving vacation. Any insight on these cities, or someplace better in Spain, is greatly appreciated! :)

Madrid!!! Besides activities in Madrid, there are a great deal of little towns close by that you can take day trips to as well. Barcelona's geography does not offer the same option.

Skymama

Barcelona hands down!!!

My son did 'A' Level Spanish and visited for a school trip. He had travelled to Madrid on a previous trip but was younger at the time (15)

After his exams, he and a few friends went back there (Barcelona) for a holiday and they had a great time. He is at University now and was 18 when he went. He says 'No contest' and 'Viva Las Ramblas'!

Hope this helps

Paul
The probability of being observed is directly proportionate to the stupidity of your actions at the time!

Besides activities in Madrid, there are a great deal of little towns close by that you can take day trips to as well. Barcelona's geography does not offer the same option.

huh?????? Have you ever taking to road that follows the coast north of BCN????
Remster

Try to go to Barcelona, Andrea. Gaudi's unusual architectural work, which I adore, is visible throughout the city in Parc Guell, La Sagrada Familia (cathedral), Casa Batllo, La Pedrera, etc. It's a truly beautiful and memorable city to visit.

Btw, my Weemee Ro (see avatar) is standing on the rooftop of La Pedrera! :D

Try to go to Barcelona, Andrea. Gaudi's unusual architectural work, which I adore, is visible throughout the city in Parc Guell, La Sagrada Familia (cathedral), Casa Batllo, La Pedrera, etc. It's a truly beautiful and memorable city to visit.

2nd that ! Plus there's just about everything to find in that city: a beach (yes, another advantage, it's situated near the Mediterenean Sea), museums (Picasso, Miro, ...), the Olympic village, the old part of town (Gothic architecture), the modern part of town, La Boqueria (a huge covered market place), shopping streets, stroling streets (las Ramblas), the soccer stadion from FC Barcelona (could be interesting for your son, if he's coming too), good climat (not too hot in the summer), nice food, ...

Well eh, just wanted to say: Barcelona ! :)

"Ha ! I laugh at danger and drop ice cubes down the vest of fear ..." (Blackadder)

Barcelona over madrid, definitely.

Consider Seville too, which is the capital city of the south of Spain. Very beautiful.

I spent my last semester in college in Seville, and travelled all over Spain and Europe while I was there.

Madrid has some nice museums with really good art, but otherwise it is similiar in feel to NYC.

Barcelona is very modern nicely put together city. Gaudi's architecture is all around, makes it neat to look at.

Enjoy it!
jeff D-16906

Personally, Barcelona. It's a wonderful city, full of life and culture (Gaudi buildings). The beach and sea front area ... Es moi bueno.

Also worth considering (Down South) - Granada, Cadiz and Cordoba for the Moorish history.

Also, Emp' is just up the coast and some of the best skydiving in Europe, f'sure.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

Madrid has some nice museums with really good art, but otherwise it is similiar in feel to NYC.

:|
I reckon for few days, one would have an equally great time in Madrid AND Barcelona. In different ways. And in NYC as well.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I vote for BOTH.

Boo, you're no help! :ph34r:

The kids want to see London, Paris and Barcelona (or Madrid) all in 2 weeks, so I'm trying to figure all this out. No time for both!
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I vote for BOTH.

Boo, you're no help! :ph34r:

The kids want to see London, Paris and Barcelona (or Madrid) all in 2 weeks, so I'm trying to figure all this out. No time for both!

That's how I shop, too--Get Both!! ;) But, okay, if you really do get just one stop, go to Barcelona. Or make it three weeks and do both anyway!
TPM Sister #102

The kids want to see London, Paris and Barcelona

so Barcelona, like that you'll see the 3 capitals :|

You silly goose! London is not a capital, it's a suburb of France!:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

Don't even think about flying from London to Paris. Eurostar is your friend. 2hrs in a train takes you from the centre of London to the centre of Paris. Quicker and simpler than an airplane. They used to offer a cheap upgrade-to-first-once-on-board deal; they may still do.

edit: you can also take the train from Paris to Barcelona in 8hrs. Flying might be easier....

Which one has the best nudie beaches? :)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Which one has the best nudie beaches? :)

Look at a map.

The commute from Madrid to its closest nudie beach appears to be quite a hike. However distances in Europe a deceiving. Having to drive half way across Spain is not like having to drive half way across Canada :P
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy