chris_uk

Which AAD do YOU use

There's only one s in Cypres.

That said, for something that I really, really want to fail safe, I'll stick with the old technology that does less until a whole lot of other people have tested the newer ones. I will probably use mine until it expires sometime in the next decade or so.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

I have a vigil, in my rig and will have on in every rig from here on out. if I were a DZO Id still choose the vigil. What other AAD has the ability to be used in a tandem, student, or an experienced jumpers rig only to change it with a push of a button. With my current rig if I put a "young jumper" with a 200 sq.ft. canopy i could change the setting from pro to student without much of a fuss. i love my vigil and even though I haven't "used" it am glad it's there in case i do ever need it.;)
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

I have a vigil, in my rig and will have on in every rig from here on out. if I were a DZO Id still choose the vigil. What other AAD has the ability to be used in a tandem, student, or an experienced jumpers rig only to change it with a push of a button.

The Argus.

Standard, Swoop, Student and Tandem modes. Logs jumps and freefa speeds also. That's what I use.

http://www.argus-aad.com

I have a vigil, in my rig and will have on in every rig from here on out. if I were a DZO Id still choose the vigil. What other AAD has the ability to be used in a tandem, student, or an experienced jumpers rig only to change it with a push of a button. With my current rig if I put a "young jumper" with a 200 sq.ft. canopy i could change the setting from pro to student without much of a fuss. i love my vigil and even though I haven't "used" it am glad it's there in case i do ever need it.;)

One more reason to not like the vigil in my book. I don't want modes to change, nor will I ever need them to. I don't want a jump counter or freefall computer. I just want to live if I forget to/can't pull. The former being a reason to never skydive again.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

You should have allowed multiple votes. Some of us have more than one rig, and those rigs don't necessarily have identical AAD's,
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

ok I hadn't done much research into the Argus but considering my mother was a dealer for the Cypres and Vigil my options were a little constrained. But I've been around the sport longer than the cypress and had heard about the vigil when I started jumping this past year, so i read and did my research on the Cypres and Vigil and decided on the Vigil.

and FAST: it's not like you need to change it and I don't use the jump counter in it that's why i have a neptune but it is nice to know that I have the option down the road if I end up having a tandem rig, have an aad fire during reserve deployment and need to get the rig back up i could pull one out of my sport rig and get it back up without a ton of fuss in doing so. that's why I like that feature. But I still hope to never have to use it;)
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

hey you take your chances I take mine.

People need to remember AAD's are not 'turn on and forget' devices. They need to be taken into account and anyone that uses one should be fully aware of how they work and there limitations

Yes in a wingsuit, on your back, at a high spinning malfunction.....
:S

You might as well have asked if we like Chevy trucks or Fords. :ph34r:

My clubs gear have Vigils, they haven't popped unexpectedly on me, I haven't used them either. My rig has a Cypres II because that is what it came with.

I don't use any of the extra features on the Vigil, ever. My Cypres makes marginally less concerned about it going off when it shouldn't (IE having it pop without reaching its activation parameters).

I don't expect either of them to save me, and if I ever have one go off and I am not unconscious, or unable to pull, I am going to have my friends kick my ass.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

and FAST: it's not like you need to change it and I don't use the jump counter in it that's why i have a neptune but it is nice to know that I have the option down the road if I end up having a tandem rig, have an aad fire during reserve deployment and need to get the rig back up i could pull one out of my sport rig and get it back up without a ton of fuss in doing so. that's why I like that feature. But I still hope to never have to use it;)

You're right. But for me, just the fact that the stuff is there makes me not like the device. All of those things are not needed by 99% of the jumping population and they make me nervous. Eventually we will read about someone accidentally using student mode or tandem mode or whatever in a sport rig and getting killed by a two out accidental fire.

The cypres is a "simple" device with one purpose. It doesn't have extra crap in there to do things that 99% of people don't need. You said it yourself. You have a neptune, so why does your AAD need to count jumps. I can understand if your a DZO and you are using them in DZ rigs and you want it for accounting purposes, but they should just sell a DZ version that has that crap and keep the device simple.

An AAD should have 1 button that you can press to turn it on / off and thats it. Any fancy functionality is in my opinion an added complication that is not needed in a device that should really only be there for 1 reason, to prevent your death.

All of the above is beside the fact that they have seemed to be proven questionably reliable as well as the fact that the company has given out some pretty lame answers to problems like "Don't let your rig sit in the heat" and "We will be releasing a version with less inconveninces" (UHH You mean misfires?)

So, thats my $.04 I will leave it at that before I sound too much like I am bashing the product.

edit: spelling and clarity.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

I have a cypres 2. I sometimes jump from pressurizable aircraft, and other AAD's sometimes have trouble with transient pressurization. (Specifically Vigils fire, and Cypres 1's turn themselves off semi-permanently.) If you don't jump from such aircraft (jets, C-130's) it's not much of an issue.

I am looking for your opinions on AADs. I am pricing my first rig, and have been looking at AADs. I am tempted by the Vigil....

What do you think??!

B|

Blue Skies[/reply

I diagnosed "self diagnostic" computers on automobiles since they were introduced in 1981. I can tell you that they don't always "self diagnose". I made my living doing what the computers were supposed to. I wouldn't trust anything that doesn't have a mandated factory maintenance. You might save a few bucks on the newer models but the savings probably wouldn't even make a dent in the funeral costs.;) Play it safe and go with TRIED AND PROVEN.

Wink.
I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

I use a Cypres 1. When it times out, its replacement wil be a Cypres 2. I think Airtec does more testing, data analysis and R&D than the competitors do. I was at WFFC one year and SSK (US Cypres test center) was strapping black box data recorders to me and a few other jumpers who were doing high speed exits from Earl Cherry's C 130A. Airtec wanted to see what the pressure profile looked like so they could prevent possible misfires. I am an EE and believe that any company with a sharp engineering staff can probably make a good AAD, but there is a learning curve and design mistakes/lessons learned along the way. I want an AAD from a company who made those mistakes and learned those lessons a long time ago. That company is Airtec.
2018 marks half a century as a skydiver. Trained by the late Perry Stevens D-51 in 1968.