LyraM45

The litter box dilema.....

I strongly vote against the living room. Just not something I want in the room I spend the most time awake in.

We currently have ours in an unused room. When we finally get around to finishing that room, the boxes will be moved to the laundry room.

When I lived with a woman who was not crazy about cats, I had my own bathroom. I removed the doors from the vanity and put the box under the sink. That kept any smell or mess away from the roommate.

~Anne

I'm a Doll!!!!

next to the human toilet. Keeps poop odor into one room of the house, the least inappropriate location for such odors.

Boy could I tell a story about THAT plan...but alas, it would quickly get 'sanitized', about like Walt's tub. :$

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

although I have seen vets turn down caring for an injured animal such as a bird or squrrel when they were told the animal was bitten by a cat...said the saliva was so poisonous to most animals that the injured ones were going to die anyway.

Good grief, they're not rattlesnakes! Those vets were weenies and poorly educated. It's hard to clean any animal bite; and I'd rather be bitten by a cat than a feral squirrel.

Some people (not you, nomiss) need to learn what the hell they're doing before they hang a shingle. I've seen people put down problem animals (of all types) rather than educate the owners as to the issues and how to correct them.

If cat bites were so dangerous, I should be dead. I've had more trouble being bitten by dogs than by cats...I get "groomed" by my cats on a regular basis (daily, and at times hourly...:Sthey're all very bonded with me, apparently). If their saliva was so poisonous, I should be dead or at least really sick.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

If cat bites were so dangerous, I should be dead.

Well, there *IS* toxoplasmosis (fecal) and staphlococcus (saliva).

I still wouldn't give up cats (when I get one again) over it. Just do the common sense stuff like keeping the litterbox clean (and, like Michelle said, not munching on the Kitty Roca :D ) and getting seen if you get bitten.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Ciels-
Michele

But But you're one of those fureaky cat women, you'd be immune to poisonous cats:ph34r::ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

next to the human toilet. Keeps poop odor into one room of the house, the least inappropriate location for such odors.

I agree w/ ExAFO & DOUGH... when my cat was still in the house full time, her box was in the bathroom, and it was a part of my daily routine to keep it scooped, can't stand the odor. But then she decided she wanted to be indoors & Outdoors, so now I don't have a box at all, its great. But I answered your poll in the kitchen/laundry area, litter is hell to get out of carpets and all cats sling it to kingdom come...;)

I want to make a clarification here to be fair-- this is not a closed off laundry room. I call this a kitchen/laundry room, but it is more like a kitchen/dine-in kitchen area with the laundry area sharing some of that space in a dutch door closet area which has only enough room for the washer/dryer. Either way, it's all still the only tiled area on the first floor and tucked away from where we'll have seating area/TV/People to entertain, which was my major point.
Apologies for the spelling (and grammar).... I got a B.S, not a B.A. :)

Well, there *IS* toxoplasmosis (fecal) and staphlococcus (saliva).

[slight hijack]

pssttt...if we talked about the wonderful bacteria that is part of a human's natural flora (oral and fecal)....let's see...E. coli, Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Propionibacterium, Bacteroides, etc.... :P

[/slight hijack]

Back on topic, I voted for tile floor - easier to clean up.

And...as with any bite - squirrel, cat, dog, human - clean it, make sure you're up on your shots, see the doc, etc.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

E. coli, Streptococcus, Staphylococcus, Propionibacterium, Bacteroides, etc....

Oh, absolutely... and we kiss our Mommas with those mouths, too! :P;)

And...as with any bite - squirrel, cat, dog, human - clean it, make sure you're up on your shots, see the doc, etc.

Yup yup - that was my point!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Buy fish instead.

Just change water using a tube once a week/every other week/every month/every other month, and feed them occationally.

Much less fuss.

No smell.

More acion, if you get live bearers, as you don't have to neuter them but can sell the offspring.

:)
Oh, and cat toilet on carpet is a big no-no.

Really. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

There are all kinds of cat litter concealment furniture out there. If you get a cat genie, or keep the box really clean (you should do this anyway), nobody will have a clue that there's a box inside your furniture, so it doesn't really matter at all where you put it. The diaper pail deodorant stick-ups you can get in the baby aisle at the grocery store also help.

Why don't you put the cat-box upstairs, next to the human toilet? Unless your cat has a tough time making it up the stairs, or your bathroom is carpet, seems like the best option to me.

I have one box in my second bathroom, wedged between the vanity and toilet, with a hepa-filter on the other side of the toilet. My 2 cats have no problem using 1 box.

I vote for the kitchen/laundry room but think you should try to keep it hidden since you may eat in there. Will the area fit some kind of folding screen like this that could block the view of the box? I just picked that one off a quick web search, but I know I've seen them cheaper or you can make one of your own.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

But But you're one of those fureaky cat women, you'd be immune to poisonous cats

Well, yeah, there is that. LOL.

Cora said it well - we have buggies and germs all over our bodies. Maybe the cats should be concerned about us. LOL.

Toxoplasmosis is indeed an issue, but generally affects only pregnant women. Staphylococcus is something we can handle on a regular basis (it lives on our own skin...).

If a bite occurs take care of the issue, and you won't have an issue, other than why your cat bit you in the first place. That should be looked into, and addressed; not by throwing them away, but understanding why, and either eliminating the problem and/or not repeating the behavior that caused the bite in the first place.

With any animal, biting is an indication of an unmet need and/or pain. Just what that need is will be left up to the owner to identify, and handle. If there's pain, the animal needs to be seen ASAP...and not by a vet who doesn't like that particular species.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

None of the above! I have 3 really terrific cats. They have a cat door and go outside. However, when a hurricane comes our way and I have to close the cat door, I usually put the litter box in the bathroom. That way, only one place in the house is for "taking care of business." Cleaning the litter box several times daily eliminates all odors & messy problems!

Leslieann :)

There are all kinds of cat litter concealment furniture out there.

In SkyMall (yes, I look at those when I am flying), they have a litter box that looks like a plant. I thought it was a novel idea. :)

"I had a dude tip his black cowboy hat to me after I provided him with a condom outside my hotel room at 3-something in the morning." -myself

There are all kinds of cat litter concealment furniture out there.

In SkyMall (yes, I look at those when I am flying), they have a litter box that looks like a plant. I thought it was a novel idea. :)

I LOVE the skymall mag.

It is my favorite part of flying, and when it isn't there it ruins my flight. :|
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

In the shower in your spare bathroom or maybe next to the people commode...that's where my friends put theirs to keep kitty from flicking the litter all over the bathroom.

Good luck!
I don't want to make all the decisions because if I screw up, then I can't blame it on you...