SpeedRacer

AFF-1 and your ricord

OK, I'll admit it. I'm the one person who responded to the poll that didn't hang on to the ripcord. You can see it in my video...I pull the ripcord, hang on to it for a couple seconds, then let it go. Doh! The case of beer was in the fridge before sundown.
Mike D-23312
"It's such a shame to spend your time away like this...existing." JMH

In the last tandem i've done i pulled the ripcord, for a second i thought i had it in my hand and when the canopy opened somehow it was in my instructors hand, from the movie i saw that my insturctors hand was on the ripcord ALL the time, and when i pulled it he somehow took it from my hand :( i dunno how, it's wierd
Free Skies,
Omri :S

Dude I know what yu mean when I watched my tandem video I saw a bunch of wire hanging off my should after we landed and was disconnected and thought what the hell is that mess. That cant be good and then realized it was the ripcord and thought when did that get put there
jason

That kind of reminded me of a question off of my "A" test. It said:
"How do you signal to other skydivers that you are about to deploy your canopy?"
A) Check the Air above your head with your hands
B) Wave to the other jumpers with your pilot chute :)C) something else worthless
D) something else worthless...
hehe, wave with your pilot chute...
AggieDave '02
-------------
Blue Skies and Gig'em Ags!
BTHO t.u.

Not all of us had ripcords for AFF jumps. No - I didn't hold on to the pilot chute.

We did have a guy who was used to jumping with a ripcord rig, and on his first jump with his new rig (BOC), he pulled and held on to the PC. After 5 seconds he didn't feel anything....looked...nothing over his head....so he pulled the reserve. Under canopy, he realized what he had done and held the PC all the way down. Talk about a potentially dangerous situation!
Tee

Only jumped a ripcord twice, something like my 30th and 31st jumps. Had been jumping a borrowed sabre 150, didnt have my own gear yet, went to a dz and asked for a rental rig. Got a super ragged out 240 with a ripchord. They saw sitflying in my logbook for my last just and said....you probably shouldnt try that with this rig. Needless to say I got my own gear very shortly thereafter.

You think it's worse than starting a thread about a fake ripcord?

t

No, but I dont get the reference to a fake ripcord either?
Am I missing something?
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

No,
my original question still stands, what prompted you to dig up a 6 year old thread. It seems an odd post to think of out of the blue.
Did you sit there and think hmmmm about 15% of my FJS drop their RC, I wonder if there is an old thread i can post this tid bit of info in?:ph34r:

You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

There's a lot of good stuff down at the bottom of the bonfire barrel. Posts with skydiving in them, and even some with guns and politics from when it was still Talkback and there was more to talk about than fake bodyparts. Some of the people who posted back then even skydived a bit and posted in the topical forums too. About things that had happened to them while they were skydiving.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Oh yeah!

Not only did I have a very stable and beautiful deployment, that really surprised me, because I'd learned so much about malfunctions that I was expecting one (well I always do, but I'm not that surprised by a normal opening anymore), I also held onto my ripcord, and put it into my jumpsuit, and threw it down at the people who came to rescue me from the tree to prove that I held on to it.

And then my instructor said that I dropped it. Which was true, in a sense. Only I dropped it from the tree.

:D

Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

I held onto it for all my jumps, except jump 18, where I got back to pack the rig and it wasn't there... still have no idea where it is and if I dropped it in freefall or perhaps on the way into the hangar :S
On my first chop I held onto all my stuff without even realising it, till I got to the ground and someone said "Yay, you held onto everything!" and I went, "What? Oh, right, so I did."

And then my instructor said that I dropped it. Which was true, in a sense. Only I dropped it from the tree.

That's not fair. I recon if you can recover it - then it counts as having "kept" it, even if you dropped it at some point.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Oh yeah!

Not only did I have a very stable and beautiful deployment, that really surprised me, because I'd learned so much about malfunctions that I was expecting one (well I always do, but I'm not that surprised by a normal opening anymore), I also held onto my ripcord, and put it into my jumpsuit, and threw it down at the people who came to rescue me from the tree to prove that I held on to it.

So about this tree.....?:)
Do you want to have an ideagasm?