xlh883

Shoes

I can't find much in the archives about shoes, well pretty much nothing. Does everyone wear running shoes for jumping or is there a preferred type of shoe out there? Still new to the sport and no one has told me not to wear my New Balance running shoes.

If there is something better or safer, I would like to know.

David

Nothing wrong with running shoes if that's what you like. Personally I prefer a skateboard style shoe since it lets my feet slide on landing, which is nice when landing in no wind. My personal preference in that regard are Etnies; however, you may find a pair of shoes that fit your feet better.

The only kind of shoe that isn't really good for skydiving are sandles, even though they're fasionable. Its easy to catch the lip of the sandle and break toes. Especially with modern canopies that have a plane out portion of the landing instead of sinking down through the flare. Oh, the other only kind of bad shoe would be anything with hooks on it. You know like the speed hooks on hiking boots that used to be popular (and are still found on work boots and the such). Just think about snagging one of those in a line or on something. Not good.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You hit the nail on the head. I was mainly concerned about the landing portion. I am thinking that my shoes are keeping me from running off some of my better landings. They seem to catch the ground and not let go. My canopy is one of those that lieks to plane out and fly along the ground so I think a pair of draggable shoes might be in order.

Thanks

David

i used to wear whatever sneakers i had, but i started wearing chucks' high tops. before i got my rw suit (with booties), i was always worried about losing a shoe in freefall. had a couple of close calls, but if i had tied them tighter and knotted the laces i would have been okay. the chucks' also have a flat sole and slide pretty good.
"Hang on a sec, the young'uns are throwin' beer cans at a golf cart."
MB4252 TDS699
killing threads since 2001

I don't slide landings, too many gopher holes, so I've worn Alps sandles for years. That or normal cross trainers. Sometimes I want traction and wear approach shoes.

Some of the guys used to wear wrestling shoes for some more feel, high top, thin soles.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Depends on the weather.

I've used snowboarding boots in the winter,
boots in cold weather, running shoes in normal and sandals in the heat.

Sandals are not practical in the swoop pit with sand and gravel.

I prefer shoes with slick/flat bottom with wingsuit. It is a pain in the ass to remove booties from trackion shoes in WS jump.

I slipped on dry hay even with traction shoes .:S

I know a man who prefers to jump with bare feet in the summer time.

I have three different pairs of skate shoes that I wear. I make my choice depending on what color jumpsuit I am jumping or if I plan on pond swooping.

Chuck

You sound very fashion consicous!

Sounds like we need to have a skydiving fashion show some time.

David

I have three different pairs of skate shoes that I wear. I make my choice depending on what color jumpsuit I am jumping or if I plan on pond swooping.

Chuck

You sound very fashion consicous!

Sounds like we need to have a skydiving fashion show some time.

David

I would win:ph34r::ph34r:
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?