hcsvader

Jumping with Piercings

Do you remove your piercings when jumping?

I occasionally remove my ear piercings when jumping even tho they are covered by my helmet.

I never jump with my labret (lip) piercing

I remove my nipple piercings when jumping without a shirt. but i have definatly notices the chest strap making contact with them on a few opening.

Removing my ear pierings is more of a comfort thing because of how big they are. they can be uncomfortable under a helmet. I would definatly remove them if I wasn't wearing a helmet. I have snagged my ear piercings while flying my power kite. That definatl hurt and had the potential to rip half my ear off.

I have heard of peoples earrings being ripped out by risers.

I always remove my lip piercing when jumping, and doing almost any other activity where I could take a hit in the face.

I dont remove my nose piercings mostly because they are a huge pain in the ass to put in and take out but I imagine if it took a good hit in the nose it would make a mess of me.

What are your thoughts and experiences?
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

personally, i dont think your face could get any messier than it already is..

i also encourage people to hang off my cock-piercing on hybrids, but most dont have hands big enough..

on a more serious note, nope, i dont take my lobes out, nor my nipple, nor my tongue if i still had that..
“Some may never live, but the crazy never die.”
-Hunter S. Thompson
"No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try."
-Yoda

i also encourage people to hang off my cock-piercing on hybrids, but most dont have hands big enough..

some people use socks to fill out the pants, you use a gigantic piercing. thats new, and rather unique too i guess

ohh. and no i dont remove my ear piercing even if its sometimes bothering me with the helmet

I occasionally remove my ear piercings when jumping even tho they are covered by my helmet.

I never jump with my labret (lip) piercing

I remove my nipple piercings when jumping without a shirt. but i have definatly notices the chest strap making contact with them on a few opening.

Removing my ear pierings is more of a comfort thing because of how big they are. they can be uncomfortable under a helmet. I would definatly remove them if I wasn't wearing a helmet. I have snagged my ear piercings while flying my power kite. That definatl hurt and had the potential to rip half my ear off.

I have heard of peoples earrings being ripped out by risers.

I always remove my lip piercing when jumping, and doing almost any other activity where I could take a hit in the face.

I dont remove my nose piercings mostly because they are a huge pain in the ass to put in and take out but I imagine if it took a good hit in the nose it would make a mess of me.

why would you remove your lip? i dont see it causing any problems. ive had snakebites and a labret at the same time and taken MANY hard hits to the face and never had any problems caused by the piercings. as far as the ears go, as long as you arent wearing any horseshoe jewlery then you run a minimal risk of them being ripped out. i plan on taking my ears to 1/2'' and will wear plugs or tunnels, still dont see much of a hazard with them. now if you are pushing over an inch wiht the ears then yeah i could see a bigger risk posed.

now the reason i say becareful with horseshoe jewlery is because i HAVE ripped an 8ga earring out of my left ear, splitting my lobe completely in half. 14 stitches later and its all fixxed. it really dosent hurt as bad as one would think. i barely felt anything, haha.

i also have an industrial n my right ear, that stays in as well, since i dnt see any issues there.

nipples i could see just because of the snag issues there. you could try covering them wiht a bandage to prevent any issues, but if you are able to take them out safely then by all means do so. i never could when i had mine, they never fully healed.

now obviously i dont have very much skydiving experience but if my piercings can survive the hundreds of mosh pits at metal concerts ive been to/in then im not personally worried about it. haha.

EDIT: to summarize i have my septum, labret, right lobe(ripped the left out rembe) an industrial in my right ear, 3 eyebrow rings in my right brow, and my tongue pierced. none of which are removed for anything other than a job interview. for some reason society dosent like their firefighter/ paramedics to promote self expression. . . who knew ;)
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

now obviously i dont have very much skydiving experience but if my piercings can survive the hundreds of mosh pits at metal concerts ive been to/in then im not personally worried about it. haha.

You get your face slapped with a riser or line while decelerating from 120 mph, you may think differently.

I'm old and boring and only have my ears pierced, but I think Vader's got the right idea of removing all of the exposed piercings.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I jump with ear and nose piercings. Granted the earrings I wear are almost always small studs and I always wear a helmet. Also on the nose piercing, it's only a stud, not a ring and I've made close to 1800 jumps with an open face without issue. I'd be more worried about snagging my chin strap or something rather than the piercing.

You get your face slapped with a riser or line while decelerating from 120 mph, you may think differently.

I'm old and boring and only have my ears pierced, but I think Vader's got the right idea of removing all of the exposed piercings.

cant say thats happend yet but i have gotten my head knocked in by a 6'4'' dude swinging fists like the worlds going to end . . . .
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

no piercings, no problems

We always suggest that ALL be removed. How would it feel to a woman if her,,, shall we say the "Down there" piercing should get snagged just right on parts of her clothing and she shifts wrong in the leg strap and one or more gets pulled out? OUCH!

Besides that, I always thought that part of the female anatomy was for pleasure, not pain.[:/]

Refuse to Lose!!!
Failure is NOT an option!
1800skyrideripoff.com
Nashvilleskydiving.org

haha, it only hurts once, no pain for the rest of your life. youd be surprised at the benefits reported from piercings down there.
but either way, as long as they are aware of the risks and problems presented with jumping them, and are ready to suffer the consequences then so be it.

im not speaking for anyone other than myself here. if you arent comfortable (not really the best word, but you get the point) with the thought of ripping one out because it got snagged somehow, somewhere, then by all means take them out. I personally will not. im aware of the risks and willing to accept them and the consequences that may come.

why would you remove your lip? i dont see it causing any problems.

I wear a spike in my lip, usually a 1/2" long. If I wear to take a hit in the face it definatly has the potential to knock out some teeth or at least cut the hell out of my gums.

Having taken some direct hits before and cutting my gums to shit I know better than to take that risk again.

If my plugs in my ears were to get snagged on something they would definatly rip my lobes off, wear 1/2" machined plugs that have a 13/16" flange on both ends. They are not just going to get pulled out like most tapered plugs might. That is why I usually remove them when jumping, even tho they are covered by my helmet.
Have you seen my pants?
it"s a rough life, Livin' the dream
>:)

I hear tongue piercings make it hard to intubate someone if they get critically injured and need assistance breathing.. Hopefully that's not a major concern on every jump. Just saying, though . . .

Me, I got no piercings.

I can tell you right now that as long as the person doing the intubation has the proper training then it dosent make much of a difference. ive dropped tubes on people with tongue rings, and without. couldnt tell a difference. and if all else fails and for some reason you can always use a BLS (basic life support) system such as a combi-tube or a king airway to secure the airway in a patient. depending on the circumstances. if those dont allow it, then use a bag-valve mask and go that route. theres always options, whether or not people use them is a different story.

and as far as ripping piercings out hcsvader, its not as bad as you think. when i split my lobe by ripping out an 8ga curved barbell it didnt hurt at all. lol ;)
and to the lip ring thing, ever consider a shorter piece of jewelry? or perhaps buying a plastic stud? www.bodyartforms.com carries a pretty good acrylic backed labret stud.

I hear tongue piercings make it hard to intubate someone if they get critically injured and need assistance breathing.. Hopefully that's not a major concern on every jump. Just saying, though . . .

Me, I got no piercings.

I can tell you right now that as long as the person doing the intubation has the proper training then it dosent make much of a difference. ive dropped tubes on people with tongue rings, and without. couldnt tell a difference. and if all else fails and for some reason you can always use a BLS (basic life support) system such as a combi-tube or a king airway to secure the airway in a patient. depending on the circumstances. if those dont allow it, then use a bag-valve mask and go that route. theres always options, whether or not people use them is a different story.

and as far as ripping piercings out hcsvader, its not as bad as you think. when i split my lobe by ripping out an 8ga curved barbell it didnt hurt at all. lol ;)
and to the lip ring thing, ever consider a shorter piece of jewelry? or perhaps buying a plastic stud? www.bodyartforms.com carries a pretty good acrylic backed labret stud.

made you a clicky..;)
TPM Sister#130ONTIG#1
I love vodka.I love vodka cause it rhymes with Tuaca~LisaH
You having a clean thought is like billyvance having a clean post.iluvtofly

thanks!! :)
im still too stupid to figure out how to do it :(

Click on the "Quote" button instead of the "Reply" button. Her entire post will show up in the box where you type.
You can then see how it's done. You can see how to do the other stuff people do too.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

I never take any of my piercings out.

I have both nipples and my nape done. Full rings on the nipples, barbell on the nape.

I was once warned by an asshole TI in .... that I would get risers spun to my nape (on tandems) and should take it out before it got ripped out. I've done just about 1000 jumps with it and never had an issue. I also jump fairly docile canopies with a very small chance of getting extreme line twists like that so i never worry about it.

I HAVE once had a nipple ring *almost* rip out on opening. My chest strap was not extremely tight on a belly dive wearing only a T-shirt. Somehow my nipple ring caught in the buckle on my chest strap and pulled the ring apart. My full hoop turned into a barbel. I bled slightly and it hurt like I had just pierced it again. I had to squeeze my harness closed to loosen up the buckle to get the ring out with both hands... Luckily I was well above 3K when this happened so I had time to piss around with it. I jumped the rest of the day with tape on that nipple. I haven't worried about it since.

A number of times I've taken girls for tandems who had me adjust the harness before getting into the plane to make sure their nether-piercings were not going to get tugged on during opening shock. These are my most memorable tandems! :D

I never take any of my piercings out.

I have both nipples and my nape done. Full rings on the nipples, barbell on the nape.

I was once warned by an asshole TI in .... that I would get risers spun to my nape (on tandems) and should take it out before it got ripped out. I've done just about 1000 jumps with it and never had an issue. I also jump fairly docile canopies with a very small chance of getting extreme line twists like that so i never worry about it.

I HAVE once had a nipple ring *almost* rip out on opening. My chest strap was not extremely tight on a belly dive wearing only a T-shirt. Somehow my nipple ring caught in the buckle on my chest strap and pulled the ring apart. My full hoop turned into a barbel. I bled slightly and it hurt like I had just pierced it again. I had to squeeze my harness closed to loosen up the buckle to get the ring out with both hands... Luckily I was well above 3K when this happened so I had time to piss around with it. I jumped the rest of the day with tape on that nipple. I haven't worried about it since.

A number of times I've taken girls for tandems who had me adjust the harness before getting into the plane to make sure their nether-piercings were not going to get tugged on during opening shock. These are my most memorable tandems! :D

in your nape do you have a straight bar or a bet "surface bar"? and how long you had it by the way? MOST people dont heal those well and they are prone to reject, which is why im asking.

I never remove my ear piercings but my Frappe hat or Factory Diver covers them up. I normally leave my nipple piercings in. I usually have a shirt and jump suit on so they are pretty well padded.

I had a friend that got a nipple ripped off on a naked jump when the chest strap grabbed the piercing:o So if I jump without a shirt I am taken em out.

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

I have had two piercings in my arm and have been jumping with them no problems..... surfing however another story -1 now.[:/]

i don't think many piercings would effect jumping at all maybe a surface piercing on your neck.
let me know if anyone is jumping with them!

I have had two piercings in my arm and have been jumping with them no problems..... surfing however another story -1 now.[:/]

i don't think many piercings would effect jumping at all maybe a surface piercing on your neck.
let me know if anyone is jumping with them!

Im confused, are you asking if anyone is jumping surface piercings? or. . . ?

Yeah surfing caused me to loose a septum ring, as well. Its the only time ive lost any jewelery other than that one earring.
Wonder if anyone is jumping with microdermals, where they have them, and how they hold up? Probably getting a few of those in the near future.

Im confused, are you asking if anyone is jumping surface piercings? or. . . ?

Yeah surfing caused me to loose a septum ring, as well. Its the only time ive lost any jewelery other than that one earring.
Wonder if anyone is jumping with microdermals, where they have them, and how they hold up? Probably getting a few of those in the near future.

Yes i was asking if anyone is jumping with surface piercings. and on the micro dermal piercings that's what i have in my arm, and i know a friend that has them in his back, my arm ones were always getting knocked i wouldn't bother with them in your arm that's all i can say.

Canidianfella is jumping a nape surface bar.
Yeah micros on an arm would be bad, due to the high movement and use of it, kinda like a nape bar, its a high movement area so the piercing never has time to settle in and thus forth rejects. I have no clue where id put my micros, I was more wondering who was just jumping them period. I might get one or 2 on my clavicles close to the midline, and see how they go. If they last, great, if not, then whatever. Its all up in the air for now either way.

The best reaction Ive gotten at the DZ was when I took my canopy and started attaching it sans harness. Thats right... I was using my nipple rings to attach the 3 ring. I told them I was going to do a bag out exit and I knew the rings would hold because Ive already hung my body weight from them. A few people really started freaking out on me!

Seriously... I was just messin with them.

I dont remove my piercings, but the other day I took a riser to the side of the head that made me really think about removing the ear rings. It hit me hard enough that my jaw hurt for a week. If it would have hooked on the ring it would have ripped out for sure!

When I go shirtless I remove the nipple rings. My chest strap sits just above them, but we all know how gear moves around in freefall.

The best reaction Ive gotten at the DZ was when I took my canopy and started attaching it sans harness. Thats right... I was using my nipple rings to attach the 3 ring. I told them I was going to do a bag out exit and I knew the rings would hold because Ive already hung my body weight from them. A few people really started freaking out on me!

Seriously... I was just messin with them.

I dont remove my piercings, but the other day I took a riser to the side of the head that made me really think about removing the ear rings. It hit me hard enough that my jaw hurt for a week. If it would have hooked on the ring it would have ripped out for sure!

thats hilarious!

another option for your ears, possibly could be to wear plugs with o-rings, dont know what kinda jewlery youre rocking, but if a riser slaps you again all it will do is knock the orings off, and youll possibly lose a plug, but they are cheap anyway, usually.

oh and never ever wear horseshoe shaped jewlery, because it WILL get caught and you WILL rip it out, trust me, been there, done it, got the blood coverd t shirt. ;)