McCarthy

Motorcycles and Insurance

Starting to ride, thinking about something like a Rebel 250. Will a smaller bike keep me from driving overly aggressive and crashing it?

What can I expect to pay for insurance after the MSF beginner course one a Rebel 250 as a 23y.o. male?

Thanks!:)

Starting to ride, thinking about something like a Rebel 250. Will a smaller bike keep me from driving overly aggressive and crashing it?

Nope... only you can do that.

In fact, too *small* of a bike can be *more* dangerous in some driving situations and instances.

What can I expect to pay for insurance after the MSF beginner course one a Rebel 250 as a 23y.o. male?

Too many variables - depends on your driving record, any accidents, how long you've had a license, etc etc

Thanks!:)

Good luck!
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

Mac

I taught the MSF course for many years and as I'm sure they told you:

THE FIRST 6 MONTHS ARE CRITICAL NO MATTER WHICH BIKE YOU CHOOSE.

I'd buy used, less than 500 cc, first time out. If you're short the rebel is a good choice and is a great local around town bike.

You'll find that insurance is going to be dependent on length of license, driving record, and size of bike (here smaller is better) While I disagree that too small a bike is dangerous its more like you have to ride in conditions that suit the motorcycle i.e. a rebel may not be suitable for a fast local freeway or long road trips.

Shop around, I would try progressive among others, they are very motorcycle friendly.

PM me if you have any questions happy to help

www.n3racing.com
John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

Thanks for chiming in, Fozz - going on the highway was exactly the type of situation that I was envisioning when I mentioned that too small of a bike could be a liability...
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

I have a 1200cc Vmax, age 38, good reccord. $76/year liability only. and my second bike, XT550 is only $17/year liability only. Foremost Insurance (not sure if there is actually a bigger owner of this company).

Regarding the size of the bike. If you paln to go on a hwy, I would go with a 500cc or bigger...BUT!...only if your over the "I could never kill myself on this thing" age mentality. The extra power comes in handy when dealing with tailgators, or other f-ed up situations.

The most important thing I can tell you is that you need to ride like you are invisible...really. Most people are conditioned to seeing the shapes of cars...not bikes. Many times I have had people say...
"sorry, I did not see you" and they really didnt...their mind simply eliminated my shape from their view.

Do they have any over 500cc sport bikes out there that are ok for short guys?

All the bigger sport bikes that I have seen look like they would have me on tippy toes @ 5'7 :S

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

All the bigger sport bikes that I have seen look like they would have me on tippy toes @ 5'7 :S

Drop that frame baby! I looked at a sport bike about 10 years ago, they told me it could be done for about $400 :D Oh and I am 5'3 ;)
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

my Vmax is a cruizer style...but i have ridden some sport bikes. I am 5 7 too...and yes, i either am on my toes with both feet, or leaning to one side with one foot flat. try to find a shop that carries multiple brands and just go sit on a bunch of bikes...take your time...really see how they fit you.

Doug

If you want a sport bike check out the 06-07 Yamaha R6
112 hp to the rear wheel and handles like a dream

http://4theriders.com/pics/trackdays/2007/thill-06.26.07/_INSTRUCTOR/IMG_6697.JPG

I'm 5'8" been riding almost 30 years and LOVE this bike
John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com

Doug

http://4theriders.com/pics/trackdays/2007/thill-06.26.07/_INSTRUCTOR/IMG_6697.JPG

i rode that bike...very very nice. smooth, great power, and really settles in at high speed.

If you want something a bit less extreme than an R6, try a suzuki SV650. FANTASTIC way to get into bigger bikes, cheap, really user friendly, powerful enough to be fun, not so powerful as to highside you on every corner. If you get the S it looks like a "proper" sportsbike too.
I rode one for a couple of years till someone trashed it for me. For everyday riding i'd have one again in a heartbeat. (But actually i have a urge to hurt myself so i'm going to get a gixxer 1000 just for fun!)
Never try to eat more than you can lift

thinking about something like a Rebel 250.

GAH!!!!!!! :S>:(:|B|:$:(:S:o

OK, maybe that wasn't very helpful. :)
Its not the bike that makes you safe or not.

Its how you ride it.

My first bike ever was my 1450cc FatBoy. I took the MSF course to get my license, learned to ride very slowly and carefully.
Me and my FatBoy have 20,000 miles together now and its all been good. Love my bike and I'm a safe, careful rider.

That doesnt mean I'm saying you should get a big bike.
You need to be comfortable and if a smaller bike makes you feel more comfortable, then go for it. I just want to point out that a smaller bike will not necessarily make you safer.
__

My mighty steed

No. I was overly cautious when I first bought my Kawasaki Ninja 250R but lately I have been overly aggressive. Have to slow down and remind myself ... be safe.

I was 23 Years Old when I bought my Kawasaki Ninja 250R and paid $100 Per Year.

PS: When buying a 250 be prepared to want to sell it after a year or two for a 500 or 600.
"That looks dangerous." Leopold Stotch

Doug

Como se huh? Recommending an R6 as a first bike is like handing someone with 100 jumps a sub-100 crossbraced canopy.

To the original poster. at 5'7", you may have no choice but to tippy-toe on some sport bikes, but cruisers should be fine. Suzuki sport bikes are pretty tall, but you can get cut-down seats for them which will help.

And, like eener stated, you can have a bike lowered, but it may throw off the cg enough to make it handle a bit squirrelly.

If you're interested in sport bikes, all the major mfg's make some really nice entry-level bikes in the 500-650cc range for first riders. Stay away from the R6's, GSX-R's, ZX-R's until you really get some experience and several thousand miles under your butt.

Definitely buy used and definitely take an MSF course.:)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I'll add the SV 650 to the list the dirty messican gave you. Its my bike, but my wife can tip toe it, but she is 5'5.

Dirty canuck! And excellent choice for a first bike!;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Como se huh? Recommending an R6 as a first bike is like handing someone with 100 jumps a sub-100 crossbraced canopy.

I'm hoping he didn't realize it was a first bike. I hope.

The 250 is a perfectly good bike to learn on (BTW - the "It doesn't have enough power to get a new rider out of a situation" makes as much sense as the "loud pipes save lives" argument) After a year or two, you probably will want something else though. If you're looking for something sporty, the Bandit, sv650, or ex500 are pretty good starters.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

I got a rebel 250 for my first bike, but then again I am 5'2". And yes I do take it on the freeway, everyday. It will do 65-75 easily. I am also conservative when on the freeway since I know I can't power out of situations, ie. absolutely no weaving in and out and sometimes sucking it up and riding behind slower vehicles until plenty of passing space is available. So I disagree that it cannot be ridden on the freeway. Also what about those moped like things that you see on the freeway? Surely those can't power out and they are made for the highway.

Also what about those moped like things that you see on the freeway? Surely those can't power out and they are made for the highway.

my point exactly...damn scary to see those things on the hwy. but, you own life is you own responsibility.

Also what about those moped like things that you see on the freeway? Surely those can't power out and they are made for the highway.

my point exactly...damn scary to see those things on the hwy. but, you own life is you own responsibility.

Why? I guess I don't see the need to do 80+ on the highway. Just be aware of and ride within your machine's limits.

I'm 5'7" and riding a 07 ZX-6R. I can plant half of each foot and there is no problem at all.

People I know get rid of their 250s in less than a month, and 500s in less than 3 months. Get an SV650, it's a good beginner's bike.

If you look at the Hurt report, statistically speaking, 600cc and larger are safer.

If you look at the Hurt report, statistically speaking, 600cc and larger are safer.

That's an irresponsible and misleading statement. First, it said large displacement bikes were underrepresented in the data, but injury severity increased. Second, the Hurt report is 25+ years old - I'd bet money that aspect of it doesn't hold true anymore.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

Kris

I completely agree, I was responding to Doug NOT Mac. I really think a first bike should STAY UNDER 500 cc's the SV may be the only exception to this
John Fosgate
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com