skymama

Runners-How many miles do you put on your shoes?

For the last couple of weeks, I've been having some pain on the ball of my foot and the outside of my knee on the same leg. It only bothers me during my workout and a few hours afterward.

My Chiropractor has done some adjustments, but she also mentioned buying a new pair of shoes. I have a pair of Asics that I've probably only put 300 miles on. Don't shoes usually last longer than that? How long do yours last before you replace them?

I've put some gel insoles in the shoes which helped a little but didn't totally alleviate the problem. Yes, I know you're thinking I should just spend the $100 for a new pair of shoes even if I don't need them, but this damn wedding is costing me a fortune! :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

To be honest around 300-500 miles is about a max. Some people replace them later, but it really is up to you.

Remember that may seem like a low amount, but if you are putting 30 miles a week on your shoes that's 10 weeks so a new pair every 3-4 months. I'd gladly drop an extra $100 every few months to protect my feet if I was still running (now I bike, swim and row). You are putting a tremendous amount of pressure on your body by running.

Take care of your body by giving it good shock absorbers (shoes) and replacing them as often as needed. It will help prevent injury.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

To be honest around 300-500 miles is about a max. Some people replace them later, but it really is up to you.

Remember that may seem like a low amount, but if you are putting 30 miles a week on your shoes that's 10 weeks so a new pair every 3-4 months. I'd gladly drop an extra $100 every few months to protect my feet if I was still running (now I bike, swim and row). You are putting a tremendous amount of pressure on your body by running.

Take care of your body by giving it good shock absorbers (shoes) and replacing them as often as needed. It will help prevent injury.

I second all of that.

I used to but new shows once or twice a year... but that was when I was a poor college student and couldn't afford to buy shoes that often. I have since upped my mileage and I do about 25 miles a week, replacing shoes sometime around 300-500 miles.

Replace your shoes, most likely that will solve your problem. Replace them every 300-500 miles to be safe. Better to prevent injury than repair it. It's worth the money.

Better to prevent injury than repair it. It's worth the money.

Oh, you people and your logic, I got that in a pm too! :ph34r:

I guess I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, especially when the bottoms aren't showing much wear.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

The shoes can also give you pain from being a poor fit for your foot.

I once developed severe pain from a new pair of shoes that were my size, but just the wrong fit.

Get new shoes and more importantly get some advice on the correct fit for your foot shape.

BP
:)

***I guess I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, especially when the bottoms aren't showing much wear.

The footbeds go long before the soles...and it makes a HUGE difference.

Almost any minor foot/leg pain in running can be traced to the need for new shoes.

300 miles max..and that is with perfect mechanics, which few of us have.
- Harvey, BASE 1232
TAN-I, IAD-I, S&TA

BLiNC Magazine Team Member

I guess I didn't think it would make that much of a difference, especially when the bottoms aren't showing much wear.

Thing is the bottom of the shoe isnt what actually keeps your foot supported. It is just there for traction. The wear and tear happens more on the inside where the foot bed and arch support are. The constant running impact repeatedly compresses the internals of the shoe and thus rendering it more and more useless.

The internals provide the shock protection for your knees and back. When it wears out your body starts to feel it more and more.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

especially when the bottoms aren't showing much wear.

Yeah, that's the thing with shoes, you don't really notice the "wear" on them that actually matters. You can see traction wear and whatnot, but what really matters is the shock absorption characteristics that slowly deteriorate over time (think piece of foam getting molded after repeated compacting). That's probably why your gel inserts helped for a little bit. They provided some added shock absorption, but not enough that you'd get out of new pair of kicks.

I know, stupid engineers...

How many times a week you run? You should give your shoes at least 2 days if you are running pretty far.

I started to switch between two pairs and it seemed to help me some.

300 miles though and you have some pain going on, get new shoes. Trust me I know this.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I go 400ish miles and can totally feel the difference when I switch to a new pair.

You should also have your gait tested at a running store to make sure you're running in the right kind of shoes.

that's no good. I found out it takes time for your shoes cushion to "fluff" back up after a walk/run and that it's best to give it 2 days rest.

That was if you were running/walking pretty far though. You might be able to do 2 days in them then give them 2 days rest if not going far.

Get a new pair, but use your old pair to give the new pair a rest.
Skymama's #2 stalker -

I put some insoles called Superfeet in my running shoes. No more pain my ankles or shins.

Yes, but they too have a life span and need to be replaced. Superfeet are designed for arch support and to limit pronation. They do not provide any additional support in the shoe. What they do is align your foot correctly to properly use the fat pads in your feet for cushion.

They for general wear should be replaced every 9mo - year, and if you are using them ALOT...then they need to be replaced every 6 months or sooner. The plastic form in the insole will start to give out in time from the pressure.

I am a HUGE fan of Superfeet and have had the chance to talk to them personally while working at REI.

For running you still need a good shoe with good support along with the Superfeet.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

Yup, what they did was re-align the way your foot works. If your shoe does not have enough arch support the arches start to collapse inward, the metacarpals in your foot will spread out wider then they should causing the ball of your foot too spread too wide thinking out the foot pad. Well when your ache collapses inward it starts to put pressure on your ankle. Your foot rolls out and your ankle bone in.

Superfeet and really any GOOD insole (if you bought insoles at a pharmacy they are junk) will give you arch support to keep your arch from collapsing and will also form a cup under your heal. What that does is forces the fat pad on your heal to stay aligned under your heal where it belongs. Thus giving you more natural cushion when your heal impacts.

I am a HUGE HUGE HUGE fan of Superfeet. They are not cheep, but worth EVERY penny.

most shoes with out them my toes will cram up against the inside of a shoe and it will be too tight. I pop in superfeet and whala! I have enough room in the toe box. That is it doing its job and keeping my forefoot from spreading out :)

eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

You should also have your gait tested at a running store to make sure you're running in the right kind of shoes.

I definatly second that, if you haven't already had it done. I used to hate running - it was soo painful. Finally, I went into a running store, had a gait analysis done and the shoes I got as a result make running significantly less painful.

I abuse my feet. I don't really know how many miles or how long I run on a pair before I chunk them... I do know that It hurts either way for me.

Old shoes are more comfortable for me to run in... up to a point AND then it starts to hurt a tiny bit. So, I buy new shoes and for 3 weeks or so I have blisters.

Maybe I should start paying more attention.

Heh, I should change my running shoes every time I change my toothbrush. 3 months - sounds good to me. :P

My brother runs in long distance ultra events. He always has three pairs of shoes he wears in rotation. Each season, he starts with the best pair from last season. After a couple weeks of training, he rotates in the second pair that's new. A few weeks later, the third. This way he never runs in a pair that is near worn out more then one day in a row. When that pair needs to be replaced, he is only wearing the newly replaced not broken in pair only one day in three. With the amount of miles he puts on, he really takes care of his shoes/feet.

Also, if your shoes get wet, it gives some time for them to dry out before you wear them again.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity