bodypilot90

if no regulation how often would you repack your reserve

I voted 3 months (oops - meant 4). Personally, I just like having a rigger looking at my shit every 120 days.

$45.00 bucks for another set of eyes to look at my stuff is easy to justify. Even if it went to a six month AIR, I'd still get it done every 120 days.
Nobody has time to listen; because they're desperately chasing the need of being heard.

6 Month intervals, or upon use.

I agree.

With today's materials etc. if the rig is properly cared for, 6 months isn't compromising safety.

Heck, back in the 80's I jumped a T-10 that had been packed for 30 years!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I voted 6 months, but what I'd end up doing is bumping it to 5 months first. If no issues were found after a little while, I'd then go to 6 months. I wouldn't be comfortable going longer than that. Of course that's probably because I'm used to every 4 months. If I came into the sport and it had been 6 months (or longer) already, I probably wouldn't think anything of it.
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

considering most of the world is at 6 months, Germany is at a year and PD was asking for a year a while back. I think a year is fine. IF you learn how to inspect (preflight your own rig).

why wear out your gear.

edit to ask

Do they do anything different repacking a yearly repack in Germany?

I would say a year and would absolutely not keep a modern rig closed for 30 years.

Just keep in mind that not only the construction of the canopies has changed but also the materials.

The materials with a low permeability are in my perception less likely to stick together than i.e. Z-P.

How long a rig can remain closed depends on how and where it's used, and stored between jumping it.

As my own rigger, a year is fine for me, for a rig that isn't in an extremely dusty or dirty environment, isn't getting an extremly high number of jumps a year, and is getting good external inspections between reserve repacks.

Do they do anything different repacking a yearly repack in Germany?

Nope as far as I know they do the same.

But the wear of the reserve will reduce significant.

In the Netherlands the cycle is 6 months (with exception of the 2003+ Javelin Odyssey without topflap mod)

No differences between repacks here.

6 Month intervals, or upon use.

I agree.

With today's materials etc. if the rig is properly cared for, 6 months isn't compromising safety.

Heck, back in the 80's I jumped a T-10 that had been packed for 30 years!

That word 'IF' is very big, here. You should see, the way I've seen new gear or older gear, treated. Then, the owner tells me how 'good' he is to his gear. I opened one recently and the reserve container was full of small black beetle type insects. I've watched folks grab their harness-container by the yolk and literally sling it out in front of them while holding the un-packed main in the other hand because they are too lazy to walk it out to pack. Yes, there was a Cypres in the container. I'll stick with 120-days.

Chuck

That word 'IF' is very big, here. You should see, the way I've seen new gear or older gear, treated. Then, the owner tells me how 'good' he is to his gear. I opened one recently and the reserve container was full of small black beetle type insects. I've watched folks grab their harness-container by the yolk and literally sling it out in front of them while holding the un-packed main in the other hand because they are too lazy to walk it out to pack. Yes, there was a Cypres in the container. I'll stick with 120-days.

I've seen ppl who can not hook up their main or reserve or pack a main. It's about personal responsibility and education. All you need to do is look at the places with longer repack cycles and do not see a higher malfunction rate with reserves. After it leaves a rigger it is up to the skydiver to treat his/her rig like a life saving device not a toy.

I've seen ppl who can not hook up their main or reserve or pack a main. It's about personal responsibility and education. All you need to do is look at the places with longer repack cycles and do not see a higher malfunction rate with reserves. After it leaves a rigger it is up to the skydiver to treat his/her rig like a life saving device not a toy.

I've just never understood such an attitude toward something that is meant to save your life. Not to mention the cost of equipment. I've known many folks like you mentioned and when I would try to help them learn, their response was; "That's why I pay you!" I guess, there are folks like that in any sport but good Lord! I have one lady customer who always brings me her rig, main un-packed. She lifts the tail-gate on her Escalade and says; "There is is!" She 'expects' me to pack her main, besides the I&R. She simply has no idea what any of the parts are on her rig or how they work. Don't even suggest that I try to tell her. :S Then, on the other side of the spectrum are the folks who can't learn enough about their gear. Those folks? Love 'em!!!
You just meet all kinds in this business.:D

Chuck

We are on 6 months here in OZ I would like to go to 1 year as todays gear is so much better than yesteryear.

Crappy old gear should stay at 6 months and people who trash their gear should also be at 6 months (or less) so we would need the "Packing Police" to keep it all in line. This all sound to hard so lets forget that, go to 1 year packs, but if ya spud in cause you trashed ya gear, the spiders and beetles got their home wrecked and you damage our sport we didnt need you anyway

For my own gear I would easily go 18 + months; I once went 2 1/2 yrs but it was a round canopy and it was mine.

For most folks, I would vote for one year. And then maybe an outside inspection at six months; some people do not take care of their gear. Some others do not know how to take care of their gear.

Jerry

Crappy old gear should stay at 6 months and people who trash their gear should also be at 6 months (or less) so we would need the "Packing Police" to keep it all in line.

How about a 1 year repack cycle and a 1½ year cycle if followed an material knowledge course from a rigger.
This with a i.e. 2 year update mandatory.

Just might help educate the knowledgeless people.

John.

6 months.

I agree that a year is not a problem for most rigs in most conditions. Problem is that you have some people jumping in really dusty conditions. Some people jump onto the beach regularly (damn I love my job sometimes) others are jumping into dirt fields.

you can't have one rule for one and another for the others so by neccessity it nees to be 6 months.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

I know I'm new to the sport but I'll stick to the 4 month cycle here in Canada. I't more from my Military back ground of gear that you depend your life on Check it and check it well. Unless I could keep my Rig in sith of me at all times I dont know what happens with it. storing it, transporting it , Humidity taking it from air conditioned house to the out doors to go jump and back again, things you dont see crawling in to make a home, bumps here and there. are all thing that add up in my mind and just as the other habits I've lernt from the military a regular check of criticle system warrents it. it's my pice of mind so I'll stick to 2-3 times a year I would have to get a repack done.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

For a rig kept in bug free, weather controlled storage, except when jumped. What other factors would you consider?

money?

people earning lots will be happy to get a repack more often whereas people with less money would be happy with longer repacks. i think that without that info the poll wouldnt be a fair representation of the "average" skydiver.
"When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading."

Any sport rig with an AAD I would not go more than six months as there are just too many variables and not more than a year without an AAD. Military rigs that are properly stored I would go for a four year shelf life.
Time and pressure will always show you who a person really is!