dropdeded

Must haves for hiking?

Well, the Mount Whitney 4 day hike is a few weeks away and Im interested in YOUR must haves for serious hiking. Got the bear can (required, no tree's to hang stuff from), still got to food shop, thinking about some poles? Wondering whats best for blisters and chafing and such. Also, I was told propane doesnt work to well at high altitudes?? Suggestions for cooking ?? Doing the tablet thing for water.

One more shopping trip.....

Thanks for suggestions.
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

Trekking poles aren't nessecarily a 'must have' but they can really help you balance and save your knees on steep terrain.

Bring a good first aid kit - including moleskin for blisters and such. On that note, don't bring a shiny new pair of boots on a long hike like this one. If you just bought new boots and need to wear them, wear them around for a few hours at a time for a number of days before going. Otherwise, you'll be getting blisters on the first day.

Invest in a good backpacking stove - propane is way too heavy for practical use on a longer trips. A lot of people swear by jet boils, and I love mine, but it doesn't like to work when it gets really cold. For summer backpacking use, a jetboil should be fine. Just make sure you bring enough fuel. If you are cooking something other then water, jet boils have a tendancy to burn stuff to the bottom really quickly if you don't stir them a lot.

Cooking can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it. I have seen people bring full 5-course dinners backpacking. I tend to go as simple as possible because I know I'll be exhausted by the time I'm making dinner. Pasta is always a good choice. There are dehdrated backpacking foods that cook up quickly too.

I really like hiking with trekking poles. Besides helping with balance in tricky spots and in stream crossing, they take some of the strain off the knees.

I love my JetBoil but like others have said it does have it's limitations. If you plan your meals so that you need a stove only to heat water it's great. I prefer it over other backpacking stoves because it's not fiddly.

Warmies and rain gear... cuz you never know. But no more than one piece of each type of clothing, with the exception of socks and underwear. You're gonna stink when you get off the trail anyway.

Shelter, bedding, pack, Nalgene bottles, hydration pack, first aid kit, compass, maps, Ziploc bags, emergency kit, headlamp, a camera, a deck of cards.

And a good attitude.

I really like my snowpeak stove. I got it with the ignitor option, and it ROCKS. It screws on to any fuel cannister like the one shown (not propane). It's really tiny and really easy.

Other essentials: a whistle around my neck, trail mix, NuSkin (for cuts & blisters), waterproof matches, rope, rain jacket, sleeping bag, sunscreen, a hat & sunglasses, a camera, waterproof topo maps & a compass, some type of electrolyte formula, jerky, cliff bars, good waterproof boots & 2 layers of socks (a liner and a pair of wool), polypro (NO cotton) clothes. I also put most everything in various sizes of ziplock bags to protect from leaks/rain. I always take a Nalgene bottle or two even though I have a Camelbak...was super glad I did last time when my camelback sprunk a leak and was pretty useless. :S

Have fun!!! B|:)

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

I think that is a complete list of what I might bring on a 4 day backpacking trip:

thermarest and the chair thing that it can fold into

2+ pairs of good wool socks (so that you always have a dry pair)

1 pair of poly-pro long johns top and bottom

1 warm wool hat

1 down vest

1 fleece jacket

1 water proof jacket and pair of waterproof pants

1 t-shirt and 1 pair of quick-drying shorts

pair of gloves

sometimes gaiters

water filtration system

lexan bowl, mug, spoon, pot w/ lid and pot holder, nalgene bottle (great for measuring)

tevas and boots

hiking poles

tent + fly

sleeping bag

head lamp

cards

lighter and/or flint and steel

first aid kit w/ lots of mole skin and whistle

bug repellent and sunblock

topo map and compass

bear spray

compression stuff sack for sleeping bag (Lined with a black garbage bag for extra waterproofing)

whisperlight stove and fuel

food in ziplock bags (possibly a large ziploc bag for storing trash afterwards and always carry extra food)

wine and wine bottle opener <===== DO NOT FORGET THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

knife

rope and stuff sack for hanging food

shovel for burying your business

head lamp and batteries

camera (in ziploc bag)

backpack!

Sounds like a lot of stuff - but I use 95 % of it - the stuff that I don't use are the things that help prepare for bad weather or emergencies and you never regret having that.

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

Well my boyfriend and I split some of the stuff that we will share.

With two of us going backpacking for 4 days this would be about a 35-40 pound pack for me. (He carries several pounds more than me because he is nice - and stronger than me.)

"Life is a temporary victory over the causes which induce death." - Sylvester Graham

So generally when I hike, I do not hike with poles.

When I hiked Whitney, I had poles, and only used them in the bits where I was in snow.

It's a heck of a hike. Really awesome view.

Are you doing it in one day? two?

As for the water, forget the tablet junk. Last JMT hike I brought one of these:
http://www.envirotechproducts.com/clearbrook-water-filters.htm

I liked the filter bottle a lot. I had my normal bottle, I would fill the filter bottle up, squeeze some watter into my normal bottle, then fill the filter bottle up again. It worked out well.
Your welcome to borrow mine if your going to be in my area before then.

One bit of advice though. There is a high lake with a camp area a few thousand feet below the summit(I think it's listed as trail camp onthe maps). This time of year with no snow, that will likley be your last water stop. be sure you drink plenty there, and fill up before going to the top.

Good luck!

Been just above that third lake on a day hike, this one we have 3 day permits, so thats 2 nights on the mountain. Poles, Im still kinda debating but most likely gonna get em to see for myself.

GREAT info so far and so much appreciated!!!
------------------------------------------
The Dude Abides.
-

preferably over and around basalt flows if possible

You mean like this? I spent a few days there last summer. One piece of advice: hiking on basalt in the grand canyon in the middle of the summer in flip flops is not really a good idea. :S

:D:D:D:D

ah arizona basalt....how I love thee...B|
Scars remind us that the past is real

1. At least 3 ways to make fire.
2. At least 2 ways to purify water-and you really should get a filter and collapsible bucket.
3. Quality rain gear.

And know how/make sure all your gear works together as it should before you get on the trail. I will be in southern Utah the first two weeks of October.......6 days on the Green in Canyonlands, 4 days in Buckskin Gulch and on the Paria to Lee's Ferry. Lots of fun!:)

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

Well, the Mount Whitney 4 day hike is a few weeks away and Im interested in YOUR must haves for serious hiking. Got the bear can (required, no tree's to hang stuff from), still got to food shop, thinking about some poles? Wondering whats best for blisters and chafing and such. Also, I was told propane doesnt work to well at high altitudes?? Suggestions for cooking ?? Doing the tablet thing for water.

One more shopping trip.....

Thanks for suggestions.

Beer
Gravity Waits for No One.

I'm sorry I can't help you. I think all you mountain hikers are nutz. Why not try somethng simple like the Gobi Desert...all you need is water, a generator and an air conditioner. It would be much lighter work.
:P

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239