Icon134

How to keep warm cycling

So it is getting increasingly cooler as winter appears to be quickly approaching... but I'm determined to continue biking to the office as long as humanly possible.

Any thoughts on how to keep warm as the temperatures drop?
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

I usually wear a pair of liners for gloves, if it gets chiller put on some thinner fleece gloves. Fleece tops work, and if it get REALLY cold, i'm sure polypro would be fine. How cold are you talking? It's in the 40s here for the most part, so i haven't had to go to the polypro yet. Wear a hat on your head as well. You should be fine! :)
CReW SKies,
bubbles

"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

What is this cold thing you people keep on mentioning?

;)

They key, IMO, is breatheable windstoper. Goretex like fabric arent breatheble enough for me when doing areobic activities. I just got one of thosehttp://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/DESXKTNF, and I think I'll like it, if our temps ever fall below the 80s!

Otherwise, its a couple of thin termal layers and a nylon vest.

Remster

I don't really ride but it gets cold up here for jumping so I wear under armor. They have hot weather/cold weather clothing .......the hot weather stuff I wear when we go diving because you can hand wash it and it will dry out over night. Can be found at most sporting stores.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

They key, IMO, is breatheable windstoper. Goretex like fabric arent breatheble enough for me when doing areobic activities. I just got one of thosehttp://www.coloradocyclist.com/product/item/DESXKTNF, and I think I'll like it, if our temps ever fall below the 80s!

^^ What he said. Gore Windstopper is amazing stuff. I have a great pair of cycling gloves that is gorewindstopper and leather. There are also some low-bulk tops and pants that you can get...they keep you warm but don't add a lot of drag for cycling.

Core temperatures first, so a thermal layers and a good shell layer. Extremities - you can get thermal head covers to fit under your helmet, buffs are your friend as well. Shoe covers to keep your toes warm, windstopper gloves.

Do not neglect your knees - below 10 degrees C i am wearing tights or knee warmers as well as arm warmers. Below freezing i'm wearing everything!
Never try to eat more than you can lift

head: a poly-pro type hat that covers the ears (i like the pearl izumi stuff) and maybe a balaclava if for below 35.

jacket: below 45-50 deg i go with a softshell jacket with a thin fleece lining in it and anywhere from a thin under layer to a thick one if its below 20. i like softshells because theyre way cheaper then cycling stuff, theyre super flexible temp wise (esp with pit zips), you can take a spill in them and not rip them apart, and you dont look like a tool wearing them off the bike.

bottoms: i really like the pearl izumi amfib tights (although id go for the bibs next time, no question.) theyre expensive, but theyre worth it. and if its really gross, windy, insanely cold out i like to put a pair of 5.11 cargo pants w/kneepad inserts on, to keep extra warm/dry i almost fucked my knees up last year by pushing too big of gears with not enough insulation, so now i make sure my knees are WARM! watever you do dont get a pair of tights/bibs with a chamois, that way you can wear the shorts you already have and only have to buy one pair.

shoes, socks: i have a few pairs of cycling shoes and honestly my sidis are the warmest most water resistant ones i own. i bought one pair of shoe covers and took them back the next day, not my thing.
socks WOOL no question, a sealskinz over sock below 30deg

gloves: BRING 2 PAIR, nothings worse the riding home in a wet pair of gloves. ow i have a few random pairs and a pair of the big fat peal izumi ones and remember BRING 2 PAIR

also full fenders on the bike will make everything a lot more doable/easy

Layers my friend.
A nice base layer that will wick moisture away from your skin quickly. A good insulating layer. Then a waterproof yet breathable layer. All of which you can use for winter jumping B|

Divot your source for all things Hillbilly.
Anvil Brother 84
SCR 14192

So it is getting increasingly cooler as winter appears to be quickly approaching... but I'm determined to continue biking to the office as long as humanly possible.

Any thoughts on how to keep warm as the temperatures drop?

Ride harder. That'll keep you warm.

When that fails add an ear warmer, gloves, and windproof shell like you'd use for skiing. Add wind-proof pants when it gets colder. If it gets snowy add cycling booties, face mask, and ski goggles.

Best solution I found is to draft behind an attractive, spandex-clad member of the opposite sex.:ph34r:
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Best solution I found is to draft behind an attractive, spandex-clad member of the opposite sex.

~clears throat and gives the evil eyes!>:(

Rather than giving me the evil eye, you had best keep your eyes on the road ahead, since you know I'm not watching where we're going.:D:D:D
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

Best solution I found is to draft behind an attractive, spandex-clad member of the opposite sex.:ph34r:

Recent discussion I had with a coworker/rider of the opposite sex:

her - Men always get all pissed off when a woman pass them
me - Not me
her - oh no?
me - yeah.. the view is much better from back there anyways!
:ph34r:
Remster

Recent discussion I had with a coworker/rider of the opposite sex:

her - Men always get all pissed off when a woman pass them
me - Not me
her - oh no?
me - yeah.. the view is much better from back there anyways!
:ph34r:

Well, I wouldn't mind them passing me so much if they would stay at a speed where I could pace them. The annoying part part is when they pass me and I only get to enjoy the view briefly until they leave me behind. Like a couple days ago when I passed a little babe on the downhill, then she rudely left me behind on the next uphill.[:/]