skyjumpenfool

Winter Gloves

As it gets colder, I'm wondering if anyone has found a good pair of gloves that are SAFE for skydiving. I'm currently using my light weight Kevlar motorcycle gloves. However, they're not heavy enough for winter.

I know this could be in Gear and rigging, but I’m interested in feedback from a safety aspect. And, a quick search didn't find any info. Thanks
Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I've been using 3 mil scuba diving gloves, so far no problems, the 3 mil is light enough to feel the hackey and the reserve and cutaway handles. The neoprene cuts the wind in freefall quite well, plus they go up my fore arms almost to the elbow.

"The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it." - Michelangelo

I've been using Akando winter gloves for a few years and they're the best I've found. They've improved them a couple times since I bought my first pair. The latest ones (well, the ones I bought last winter) are the best so far. I haven't checked recently, but I never found them (the winter gloves specifically) in any gear stores. I bought direct from Akando (from Croatia). The shipping cost was low, but they do take quite a long time to arrive. They offer lots of sizes, which is important for getting a good fit for safety.

They'll do until I find a good solution for heated gloves that doesn't require a fanny pack filled with 8 D batteries.

Dave

I second 604's suggestion. I live here in WI and tried my motorcycle gloves at first, and they sucked. Last year I tried a pair of my foam (neoprene) hunting gloves and i've stuck with them since. When you think about it you are only out in the element for 5-10 minutes or so. The most important task for winter jumping is covering every bit of skin to protect from the wind chill. You aren't really in the air long enough to worry about having alot of insulation. I'm the only guy walking around the DZ with camo or blaze orange gloves. lol

9 dollar gloves from home depot work wonders for me. Just normal all purpose leather gloves.

I pay $14 at home depot. They are black with yellow logo and say "Subcontractor" on them. They have others such as "Thunder" which are too thick, and "Tradesman" which are missing the finger tips.... But "Subcontractor" are tried and true. (No leather)

If you need more warmth - go to the Janitorial aisle and get a box of 100 of doctor's style latex gloves and put those on under your gloves as a 100% wind barrier... (You only need to use one per hand, you can give the 98 others to friends). Just wait until the final gear check to put them on because perspiration in the plane will not breathe out and will work against you.

My first gloves were $60 from REI, bike gloves, and tore thru in the first season. My second gloves were skydiving specific and lasted even shorter.

By far - the longest lasting gloves I have found = Home Depot.

Oh. and at $14, when my glove got ripped off in an AFF student's harness, I still profited off the jump... And thankfully the student had a stand up landing right next to me so I could get my glove out of his harness legstrap so I lost nothing, but it was a close one. (It turns out you should use the provided velcro strap to make them tight, not just somewhat tight:o).

I work at a Glove company that sells $120 million dollars of gloves a year. I have access to every type, and the best winter gloves I have found for skydiving can be purchased at Tractor Supply. They are model 96650 and have a Hypora and thinsulate lining to keep wind out and your hands warm.

As a joke to my coworkers, I made a product testing video of the gloves: www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYc90SAEpt4
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

They'll do until I find a good solution for heated gloves that doesn't require a fanny pack filled with 8 D batteries.

Dave

never thought of that, and a few minutes of googling i found Warmthru.
they have gloves or gloveliners that uses a Li-Ion rechargeable batteri.
i havnt found any specs on size or weight on the battery but Li-Ion usually is smal and light weight.

very pricy but im almost tempted to try.

http://www.warmthru.com

Dave

never thought of that, and a few minutes of googling i found Warmthru.
they have gloves or gloveliners that uses a Li-Ion rechargeable batteri.
i havnt found any specs on size or weight on the battery but Li-Ion usually is smal and light weight.

very pricy but im almost tempted to try.

http://www.warmthru.com

what about those hothands little hand warmer packets? just slip one under each glove, on top of your hand, would that work?
Thanatos340(on landing rounds)--
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

what about those hothands little hand warmer packets? just slip one under each glove, on top of your hand, would that work?

That's what I use when I get a little chilly in the fall and spring. No bad effects on my hands at all. I put them on the top of my hands inside my glove liners. They do not interfere with the flexibility of my hands and they last all day.
Always be kinder than you feel.

I wouldn't recommend it personally. Hand warmers typically burn quite hot, and can be uncomfortable on exposed skin.

I'm paying quite close attention to this topic, as my squadron is heading to Fallon, NV next week, and flying in an open-doored helo going 120kts in the middle of the night is going to be excruciatingly cold. Add the complexity of needing to write stuff down, shoot guns, adjust NVG goggles, etc, and my needs for a glove are pretty much the same as a skydiver. Only difference is we'll be exposed to this for 2-3hrs, compared to 60sec.
Skydiving: You either learn from other's mistakes, or they'll learn from yours.

I wouldn't recommend it personally. Hand warmers typically burn quite hot, and can be uncomfortable on exposed skin.

all the times ive used them, they have burned warm, but nothing close to unbearable, get a set, and try them out while youre walking around the house or something, if they are too hot then dont use them, either way its worth a shot. . .
Landing procedure: Hand all the way up, Feet and Knees Together and PLF soon as you get bitch slapped by a planet.

all the times ive used them, they have burned warm, but nothing close to unbearable, get a set, and try them out while youre walking around the house or something, if they are too hot then dont use them, either way its worth a shot. . .

I get burns every time I use them, and I never put them directly on my skin [:/]

I get burns every time I use them, and I never put them directly on my skin [:/]

oh [:/]

sq1 sell " winter weight" skydiving gloves that are lined. i like the ones with the long cuffs. i use those with thin "thermax" liner gloves under them when it's really bitter. and I've used alot of stuff over the years. military wool liner/ leather gloves. they work to a point.. cheap cotton gloves with latex surgical gloves over or under them for a wind barrier. over works but your hand sweat soaks the cotton liners after a jump or two.[:/]

i have on occasion been accused of pulling low . My response. Naw I wasn't low I'm just such a big guy I look closer than I really am .

Hi,

it depeds on what temperatures you will be jumping in?

If it is anything below -20degC then you will need to have a windstopper or similar to keep your sensation in your fingers.

I have seen too many times people that jump in substandard gloves or even fingerless gloves in minus 20 degrees celcius+, due to thier fear of not locating their deployment and cutawy handles.

It is better to have gloves that are slightly thicker, than to have no sensation at all in your fingers.

I always invest good money on winter gloves, and they always incorporate windstopper material.

I did some very good ones from burton snowboards but
now I use a Brand Called Roeckl,

You might find them at an equestrian store.
"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I jumped all last winter, which I hadn't done in many years (aircraft availability being the main factor). So I wound up with a couple different glove combos:

I use cheapo batting gloves during the summer when its in the 30-40s at altitude. Those I've used for years. (Top tip: buy batting gloves in September/October when the local sporting goods store is trying to clear out the summer's stock. I get Addidas or Nike gloves, normally $25-30/pair for between $10 and $12. Throw 'em in the gear bag for next season.) Those of you not in a country with baseball as a pastime, adjust as needed.. :)

When it starts getting colder, I have a pair of thin "runner's gloves" (sort of an under-armour-like material) that I put on under the batting gloves.

I also have a pair of Nomex flying gloves that I've jumped with for years, and again, I may slip the "runners gloves" liners under those.

When its *really* cold I snagged a pair of Thinsulate lined workman's gloves from Home Depot that have this suede on the fingertips and are *really* tactile. They work very well by themselves, or in tandem with the liners, or if really necessary, hand warmers.

(mind you, I'll break out the hand warmers about the time I break out the runners gloves. Big hint with hand warmers: Activate them about 20-30 minutes prior to jumping, like, say, when you've gotten to the DZ. That way they're rip-roaring when you get to altitude. And don't have your gloves on the whole time in the plane, as that will make your hands sweat, and you'll have damp hands and gloves in the slipstream.. bad combo..)

I have yet to put latex gloves under any of my gloves, but many of my winter jumping compatriots do. It does work well as a wind block.

The usual disclaimers about your ability to find/grip things with winter gloves applies...
NIN
D-19617, AFF-I '19