skymama

Way to kick someone when they're down

I feel the need to be the voice of reason here. I hate to defend someone who is may or may not be doing something that she feels is needed. I hate to even conjecture as to what her reasoning is for suing this family, if that is what she is in fact doing.

First off, I think that all homeowners are required to carry a certain amount of liability insurance on thier homes, it is for situations where someone who is not a resident injures themselves while on that property. The value of the insurance is usually over $100K.

2nd off, let's use another situation. Let's say that a cop pulls someone over. They are on the side of the road and some douche bag talking on a cell phone rear ends the parked police car, which in turn leaves the police officer injured and out of work for several months. Should that police officer sue the DB who was talking on the cell phone and was negligent in their actions?

3rd, most police officers are paid on an hourly rate. That means that if this officer is out of work for 2 months there are potentially thousands of dollars that she could not earn. So, her medical bills were paid, and she got some income...but it probably wasnt what she would have earned had she been able to work overtime like she probably has been doing for the last 12 years.

4th, the news does not divulge how much the police officer is sueing for. My bet is that it is not a huge amount of money. Idk, but knowing this will tell what the officers motivations are. Whether recouping 2 months worth of OT pay, or putting in a pool, if you get my drift.

You bought the hook that the news wanted you to. A little bit of skepticism allows people to sit back and take the facts in before they make an abrupt decision.
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

4th, the news does not divulge how much the police officer is sueing for. My bet is that it is not a huge amount of money. Idk, but knowing this will tell what the officers motivations are. Whether recouping 2 months worth of OT pay, or putting in a pool, if you get my drift.

This is where we disagree.
She has a Sleeze bag Ambulance Chaser representing her.
I am Guessing this one

They will go after as much as they can get.[:/]

it makes me hesitant to call the cops in that they may sue for anything that happens IN THEIR JOB OF ACCEPTED RISK!!!!
:S:S

and only in Casselberry for that matter...

"We're police officers! We're not trained to handle this kind of violence!"

-- Rob Schneider in 'Demolition Man'
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

This is where we disagree.
She has a Sleeze bag Ambulance Chaser representing her.
I am Guessing this one

They will go after as much as they can get.

Fair enough. I am not going to defend her further without more facts/knowledge of what the entire situation is. I am just saying that it isn't a good idea to buy into the hype.
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

apparently we're all missing the issue here...her knee aches! :S

if I could sue just one entity for half the aches my body has accumulated due to the inherent risks in life...>:(

it's a slip and fall lawsuit by an ambulance chaser...I hope no self respecting jury awards them a penny. She was compensated by her work insurance and workmen's comp. Done.

Who knows what the story really is. As skydivers we all know that the media many times screws up the simplest of stories of which they have no understanding. In my professional life I've seen that the media sometimes just flat out lies in order to make the story worthwhile. Its unfortunate. Furthermore, I know that not all cops are decent people. Sometimes people slip through the cracks in the hiring process, sometimes those same people sue the department during a termination process and through arbitration keep their job when they're slugs. Any of you that work for the government can probably understand.

If the story posted is true and complete, then that's one worthless slug. If its not true, then I wonder what all happened. Law enforcement is a high risk career, officers are killed and hurt every day from many different aspects of the job. I know that officers do take steps to mitigate those risks, but they're still out there.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

If the story posted is true and complete, then that's one worthless slug. If its not true, then I wonder what all happened. Law enforcement is a high risk career, officers are killed and hurt every day from many different aspects of the job. I know that officers do take steps to mitigate those risks, but they're still out there.

Dave,
I agree with you wholehartedly. I also think that being a police officer is one of the most unappreciated jobs in the world. Because the only time that you want to see a cop is when someone else has done something to you. Other than that cops usually get the shit end of the stick. How many people get pissed after getting a speeding ticket? Those people aren't mad at the fact that they were breaking the law, they are mad that they got caught...and they are mad at the person that caught them.

I feel the need to be the voice of reason here...

Remember what she's sueing for, because there was water on the ground that SHE stepped in and fell. Yeah, the people should have had a fence around their pool. Well, maybe she should look where she is walking or maybe wear shoes with better soles when she is on the job. Hindsight is 20/20. I bet that family wishes every day that they would have had the fence around the pool too.

Her knee aches and she might have a little arthritis in it some day. She'll catch up on her bills since it was only 2 months and she did get compensation. That family has lost the child that they once knew and is faced with a lifetime of hardship with the medical bills they are going to have, the guilt they'll feel from not having the pool fence and the hole in their hearts from their dreams for their son being shattered from that day. Sue the family? Give me a break, she should be counting her blessings and remembering what's important.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I never said that she was justified, just that there was a possibility of justification.

Is this situation different than the hypothetical about the police officer getting injured due to someone's negligence? If so please let me know how.

I realize that you are responding with emotion. I too understand that emotional response, however I can see both sides of the story. I have lost a child and I still feel that there may some level of justification for her seeking recompense for her injuries.

It may not be right according to your ethics, it is obviously right according to someone else's. If the judge sees fit to award monies to the police officer, then she either made a really good case where there was not one, or she was actually deserving. Since none of us know anything about the case than what a couple hundred words of text try to portray than anything that we take from the text is merely conjecture. We can argue back and forth what you think is right versus what I think is right, however we dont have the facts. Until we get to a point where we both have the facts and aren't just assuming what happened then we might a well leave it alone.

I thought that the whole thread is ridiculous becuase it is bashing someone who puts thier life on the line for a portion of the citizens of the US everyday, and does it willingly. Imagine if this police officer had done something for you or your loved ones (like saved someone's life), you would not be on a public forum dragging their name through the mud. You would be here praising them. From the little bit of info that is provided from the news article, the police officer is thought highly of by the people that she works with. So highly that they say that she should get a promotion. That is not someone who should be called a "cunt".

My question for you is: how many lives has she saved? How many bad guys has she put in jail? How many people has she kept safe at night?

From a different ethical perspective let me ask you a different hypothetical question:

Let's say that a soldier is driving home on a friday evening. A family driving in a minivan, rushing one if thier young children to the hospital, runs a red light and broadsides the soldier. The soldier is injured and taken to a hospital. The family suffers many injuries to the point that one of the young children passes away and the other suffers burns over 50% of its body. The mother and father are both injured.

Now, the soldier's medical bills will be paid in full. He will recieve 100% of his pay and allowances while he is on convalescent leave. The accident is clearly the fault of the other driver. Is the soldier in this situation ethically allowed to sue the family for any reason? If not, why not?

This is great....
I'm going to sue New Balance.
They made the shoe that i tipped on while holding a steak knife, stabbing myself...
Looking at the logic that her lawyer gives, it will be an easy open shut case.
If they didnt make the shoes, i wouldnt have kicked them off in the middle of the room, and i wouldnt have tripped and fell on a steak knife....

what a crock...
If i would have been watching where i was walking i wouldnt have had a problem. Just like this sick sick poor excuse for a human.
I am so glad that this story went public, This of all the things we hear about our "american lottery" is just so low. I can't believe she found a lawyer to try to play this out.
Take responsibility for your own less than gracefull moments....
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

>He (referring to her Supervisor) urged her not to file the lawsuit, he
>said, but there was nothing he could do.

Well, her supervisor likely has nothing to do with her insurance. Her insurance may make coverage contingent on allowing them to file such lawsuits - in which case I'd expect her to not say anything about it (which is what she seems to be doing.)

If she had come out and said "I feel I have been wronged by this family and am suing them" then I'd agree with you. But that may not be her attitude. I guess we won't know unless she makes a statement one way or the other.

Let's say that a soldier is driving home on a friday evening. A family driving in a minivan, rushing one if thier young children to the hospital, runs a red light and broadsides the soldier. The soldier is injured and taken to a hospital. The family suffers many injuries to the point that one of the young children passes away and the other suffers burns over 50% of its body. The mother and father are both injured.

Now, the soldier's medical bills will be paid in full. He will recieve 100% of his pay and allowances while he is on convalescent leave. The accident is clearly the fault of the other driver. Is the soldier in this situation ethically allowed to sue the family for any reason? If not, why not?

That's apples and oranges. The family in question would have committed a crime (running a red light) and hurt someone else as a result, not the same as having your child nearly drown and some cop slipping and falling on the wet floor of your home. It is not a crime to have a wet spot on your floor, although I do understand that it is a liability.

Why is she seeking more money from the family? Why doesn't she go after the insurance of the Police Dept.? Isn't that why they have insurance in the first place? :S

I know now to mop the next time i have to call 911....
I so hope this goes to jury.....

Another thing, I think there are times that we cant sue the government, I think this should apply the other way. I still cant get this through my head. whats next, you have a fire but you cant call the FD because you dont want them to get hurt on your property??????
UNREAL!!!!!!
HAVE FUN...
...JUST DONT DIE

I don't really agree or disagree. At surface level--yea, what a douche.

But, it reminds me of when we had our tile cleaned and re-sealed. It was SUPER-slippery throughout our house.

And it sounds paranoid, but I seriously would not let anyone in my house for the longest time.:S:D:P And sure enough, a relative came to stay a night, we warned him, and the next morning he sighed in agony. He had slipped and fell pretty hard in the middle of the night when he got up to use the restroom.

Thank GOD he was family. I surely would have expected a lawsuit from anyone else.

You can't be too careful. Having said that, emergencies are always different. As a cop you respond to emergencies sometimes. So an element of variable risk should be understood and accepted when taking the job, not looked at as a get-rich quick opportunity.[:/]

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

I do not have a lot of compassion for the family the family the real victim is the kid that was not properly supervised in the first place >:( who the fuck was supposed to be responsible for him and let him fall in the pool?

You can't be drunk all day if you don't start early!

while I agree somewhat...you know how quickly kids can get away.
I pulled a nephew of mine out of our pool when I was in high school, very luckily..he had just gone in. No one knew he was up from nap...I just happened to come home at the right time. His mom, my step sister, had fallen asleep on the couch while the kid was napping.
it happens...they're quick and sneaky lil fuckers...:P

does ANY company build pools these days without the screen fence???

It's Code now, you can't complete the permit without it. If you don't have kids, you don't have to use it, but you have to at least have the holes drilled. I don't believe it is a requirement for existing homes with pools.
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

while I agree somewhat...you know how quickly kids can get away.
I pulled a nephew of mine out of our pool when I was in high school, very luckily..he had just gone in. No one knew he was up from nap...I just happened to come home at the right time. His mom, my step sister, had fallen asleep on the couch while the kid was napping.
it happens...they're quick and sneaky lil fuckers...:P

One of my co-workers burried her beautiful 1 yro old daughter a few months back, pool accident. Their pool was completely kid safe, for little ones, but her older child (teen) left the door unlocked by accident. Same thing, her daughter was down for a nap and no one knew she had woke up, until her mom found her in the pool, she lived for a week afterwards. It was so incredibly sad. People can point fingers all day long. Does it really do any good? Everyone assumes it wont happen to me or my family.... As a mom, I know how quick things can happen. Thanks be to God, Ive never had any problems, but my kids have snuck away in a split second before, and I was gripped with fear until I found them.

don't garage door openers have to be attached at the header???

It's a production home, you have to have low expectations with those. :ph34r: