NWFlyer

Donation information for WA Caravan Crash

Update - thanks to the generosity of the skydiving community we currently have the cost of the layout covered! I know there are many more donations on the way so I am very excited that we will also be able to give a sizeable donation to the Yakima County Search & Rescue and to the Yakima branch of the American Red Cross. For those who wish to support those organizations through the fund, keep the donations coming.

I have requested details from SAR on how to donate directly to them and will share that info once I have it for anyone who wishes to donate directly. The Yakima Red Cross web site has a place to donate online and also has information about mailing a check. Both of these organizations were invaluable in helping the families and friends of the victims in the days immediately following the crash and I would encourage donations to this worthy cause, either directly, or through donations to the [email protected] fund.

For those who wish to direct their donations to the fund for the families, here is that information again. PayPal donations can be sent to [email protected]. Checks can be written to "Skydive Snohomish N430A Family Fund" and sent to the DZ at: 9912 Airport Way, Snohomish, WA 98296. They can be addressed to the name of the fund as well.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Thanks to all who have donated so far; as expected the response has been phenomenal from the skydiving community.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I've been asked how much we are trying to raise - the cost of a 2-page spread is $2550 plus another 10%, I think, for it to bleed across the pages, though I've just heard from Lara at Parachutist that Kelly Farrington at VSE has been generous enough to allow us to use his advertiser's account so we get the frequency discount, so the cost of the ad will be discounted quite a bit (thanks, Kelly and Lara).

Others who are working on this with me are in contact with the families to find out what financial support might be needed there. As mentioned, the current plan for donations over the cost of the memorial page is to go to the SAR organizations and the Red Cross local organization that were so helpful to the loved ones during that agonizing waiting period. If not for the tireless work of SAR volunteers in some pretty grueling conditions, we might still be waiting for information.

Krisanne,
I have forwared your post to all of the skydivers at WPS - in Davenport, Wa. I hope that will be helpful.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

i'm going to send a donation, but i have to say..... I think the USPA is rotten for charging that much money for a memorial page for its own members. Not like you are buying advertising space to sell something.

It wouldnt hurt the USPA to donate that space. Afterall, those people supported the USPA.
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

I don't really want to spark a debate about the right or wrong of it, but personally, I'm okay with the USPA charging for the pages. Each memorial page in Parachutist takes away paid advertising and therefore increases the cost to produce the magazine. The cost to produce Parachutist has to come from one of two sources: membership dues, or advertising. Doing it this way means that dues don't have to be increased across the board. The cost for a USPA member to place an ad is lower than the cost for a non-member to place an ad, and as mentioned up-thread, USPA has also allowed us to place the ad using Velocity Sports Equipment's account, which gives an even greater discount. Others may disagree with my reasoning, but given that it's the situation we're in, I'm very happy to see so many willing to support our skydiving family members here in the northwest.

Thank you very much for your donation.

you are right its not worth a debate. It is what it is. I just thought it would be nice if they did that kind of stuff for cost. I was just getting my two cents in. I'm over it.

moving on.........
I'll huff and I'll puff and I'll burn your fucking packing tent down.

For anyone who would like to donate directly to the families of the victims, here is information:

PayPal donations can be sent to [email protected].

Checks can be written to "Skydive Snohomish N430A Family Fund" and sent
to the DZ at: 9912 Airport Way, Snohomish 98296. They can be addressed
to the name of the fund as well.

Update - thanks to the generosity of the skydiving community we currently have the cost of the layout covered! I know there are many more donations on the way so I am very excited that we will also be able to give a sizeable donation to the Yakima County Search & Rescue and to the Yakima branch of the American Red Cross. For those who wish to support those organizations through the fund, keep the donations coming.

I have requested details from SAR on how to donate directly to them and will share that info once I have it for anyone who wishes to donate directly. The Yakima Red Cross web site has a place to donate online and also has information about mailing a check. Both of these organizations were invaluable in helping the families and friends of the victims in the days immediately following the crash and I would encourage donations to this worthy cause, either directly, or through donations to the [email protected] fund.

For those who wish to direct their donations to the fund for the families, here is that information again. PayPal donations can be sent to [email protected]. Checks can be written to "Skydive Snohomish N430A Family Fund" and sent to the DZ at: 9912 Airport Way, Snohomish, WA 98296. They can be addressed to the name of the fund as well.

Thanks for doing this! I hope that somebody will be able to post a pic of the memorial when completed for those of us who aren't USPA.

I will make sure to get it posted somewhere that the non-USPA folks can see it.

Just wanted to report that with the two checks I received in today's mail, the fund went over the $5,000 mark. This is going to be such a wonderful donation for Yakima Search and Rescue and the Yakima Red Cross... I'm so pleased that thanks to the generosity of the skydiving community worldwide we'll be able to not only honor our lost friends, but also give back to the people and organizations who helped so much after the crash.

I've thought a bit about that - not necessarily about getting coverage, but about actually delivering the check in person. I'd like to see if one of the family members is interested in doing the honors...

I've thought a bit about that - not necessarily about getting coverage, but about actually delivering the check in person. I'd like to see if one of the family members is interested in doing the honors...

What an amazing idea... I would also like to see coverage. Maybe getting in touch with Elaine or Tyson Harvey from SD Snohomish would be a good place to start.