FreeflyChile

Zune?

Hey all,

so i got some best buy cash for xmas, and seeing as i have a looooooooooong ass flight coming up thursday i wanted to get an mp3 player. i don't want an ipod of any kind, but i kind of had my eye on the zune. i wanted to know anyone's experiences with this thing, or if there is any other mp3 player that is recommended.

thanks!

Just get an Ipod and be done with it. Nothing else is as good.
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

I kinda have to agree with Tink here b/c of the so many accs for the IPOD system... and now their phone... What originally turned me off to the IPOD which I think has been debunked, is that once the battery was lifed out it was useless! But I have been seeing and know of one local puter store that can replace the battery and or refurbish the IPODs... So I will be looking at this system a lil more...

This won't help you much as Best Buy stopped carrying Creative Labs produducs, but I have the Zen Vision:M. It's a 30gig and it is awesome. Everybody I know that has an iPod eventually ends up hating it for one reason or another. The Zune, to my knowledge, is that it's a relatively new producuct and still has flaws. I have had several Creative Labs products and have zero complaints. Hope this helps somewhat.
"I don't know where it is that I'm going, but wherever it is there I'll be!" --quoted by me

why would you not want an ipod?

your reasoning please?

the ipod is the single best tool for the job...for you to say you dont want one must mean you have some deep rooted hatred for apple or something retarded like that..
--------------------------------------------
www.facebook.com/agentlead

your reasoning please?

the ipod is the single best tool for the job...for you to say you dont want one must mean you have some deep rooted hatred for apple or something retarded like that..

Ipods are ridiculously expensive!
Life is short! Break the rules! Forgive quickly! Kiss slowly! Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that made you smile.

I have an Ipod and a sansa mp3 player, both are great and both have features I like and dislike. I bought the Ipod mainly to have my entire music collection in my car. New car stereo's have an interface that will work with an Ipod so you can control the Ipod through the car stereo face and keep the Ipod in the glove box (for this I love the Ipod). I find in general I like the Ipod alot, I love the fact you can download most album cover art but I do not care alot for the wheel I find its sometimes difficult to pick the exact artist I want. As far as price from what I have seen once you go above 8 Gigs the Ipod is in the same price range if not a little cheaper than the others. One last thing with the Ipod transfering movies from your own DVD to it is a very laborsome project.
Kirk

I have an iPod and I have Vista OS. They work like shit with each other. Zunes have bigger screens and some cool options. I am not a big fan of iPods although I keep buying them. :S
~El Josh AKA Ruby

DS #149
Yes I only have 3 jumps...it's the magic number dude.

your reasoning please?

To suggest one has a "deep rooted hatred for Apple because they don't want an iPod" is equally retarded if not moreso.
Having an iPod Classic (third one in 3 years) a Nano, and a Zune, I prefer the Zune. Better build, better picture by far, easier to upload/download, can be used with many interfaces vs only iTunes...All I can say is "Thank God my Macs don't function as badly as my iPods have."
I like my nano, but it doesn't do video.
Why to not like iPods? Because they routinely fail, and Apple doesn't do anything for the owner of a failed iPod unless the owner pays a 250.00 repair fee. Almost as cheap as a new one.
I can sweat on my Zune or Nano, but not on my iPod. I can drop my Zune or Nano, but not my iPod.
I never would actually buy an iPod, receiving a couple as gifts are the only reason I'd own one.
And I don't have a "deep-seated hatred for Apple or something retarded like that.":S Apple gets a fair chunk of change from me every year, given that we own 40 Apple laptops and at least 10 powerhouse desktops.

The big advantage of a Zoon, in my mind, is the FM function. I've wanted an I-Pod for some time to use when riding my motorcycle, but I enjoy listening to FM radio. The Zoon has an FM function that works really well.

Take it for what it's worth....

:$

Birdshit & Fools Productions

"Son, only two things fall from the sky."

I like the my creative zen , I have a napster to go subscription where I can down load about 90% of what napster has to offer for $15 a month with that and my regular music colection I'm been happy.
SO this one time at band camp.....

"Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most."

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

I have an old creative labs mp3 player from like 5 years ago that still works, and i loved how simple it was to use. i need a new one because i want video (to transfer dvds i own) and because the old mp3 player is only 256mb, which is not very much for anything over 4 hrs of music.

i don't want an ipod because 1) i know several people who have had those things fail on them and 2) i don't find the way they work intuitive and easy to use. plus, and maybe this is a misconception of mine, i don't like how apple does things with DRM, it makes it restrictive and i don't want to buy something and learn that later it doesn't work with music and movies that i already have (and acquired legally).

given the positive feedback i'll probably go with the zune. i would get a creative labs one but i pretty much have to go to best buy since the money i'll be using to buy it is in the form of a bb gift card.

Even though I'd buy the Zune too, Apple has effectively done away with DRM, they just use a format for the iPod that is proprietary, and won't allow wma on their devices.>:( wma is superior at equal bitrates, and at equal sizes, FLAC is FAR superior (being the best format possible at comparable filesizes) and Apple won't support FLAC, although it's reported that Zune will soon support FLAC. I hope so, I'll buy a new/bigger Zune when that happens.

I bought an Ipod 20g a while back. It has been nothing but the biggest piece of shit that I have managed to waste my money on. For starters I hated the I tunes software. Second, I went through 3 different batteries for the Ipod. Third, if you skip around in the song line up like I do, it kills the battery in about 2 hours. Fourth, it never worked when I tried to run with it. If it ever bumped around at all it would skip and turn off. Fifth, it dumped the entire memory twice during its tenure. Sixth, there are better options on the market for a lot cheaper.

Ipods are not worth the time and money. I bought a 2g flash drive Sansa MP3 player for $37. I just plug it into the USB drive and drag and drop songs from my hard drive. No stupid software, no synching, no hassles. It works while I run. It runs on a single AAA battery that actually lasts for about 10-12 hours at a time. There is no recharging, just drop in a new battery and keep going. My only complaint about it is that as the battery goes dead, the volume drops off. So, you never actually get the projected 20 hours out of a battery. Other than that, the $37 that I spent on this little device that works kicks the shit out of the hundreds that I spent on my Ipod.

I may have just had a bad experience with Ipod, but I will never buy another one.
The primary purpose of the Armed Forces is to prepare for and to prevail in combat should the need arise.

Why to not like iPods? Because they routinely fail, and Apple doesn't do anything for the owner of a failed iPod unless the owner pays a 250.00 repair fee. Almost as cheap as a new one.

I got a story for that as to why you might as well buy a new one.

One day I was cleaning bleachers after a basketball game. While doing this I generated a lot of static electricity all the while my ipod was in my pocket(30gig Vid). I happened to touch a metal bar which fried my ipod. So I called apple and said my ipod just shocked me:). A Few days later it starts working again but yet I still sent it off to have it "repaired" when i got it back it was just a brand new one. Which means they obviously don't look at them when they come in for service .

The good thing is that it was still under warranty

So that brings a question if that 250 is going towards having it repaired or if you are just buying a new one:S

Both my son and daughter have one....they love it. My son's screen cracked (spontaneously - yeah right) and was not covered under the warranty. Going to cost 135$ to repair that part.....might as well get a new one. Other than that they have both been very happy with it.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

almost forgot about the IRiver products... Take a look at their stuff! If I remember they have a new vid/mp3 also with FM sterio

added; Here is a linkhttp://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/ultra/clix/Clix_8gb.aspx

I just went and looked it up! I was turned on to the IRiver by this chica I met at the WFFC06 and it really knocked my socks off! She had the T10 which is a quaint lil player that is super small but was just really cool... In fact since I just remembered about the iriver, i will retract my nod towards the IPOD until further research and reviews of the "CLIX2"

I have been going through this decision process for about 2years now with no purchase YET!.... arrgh!!

Both my son and daughter have one....they love it. My son's screen cracked (spontaneously - yeah right) and was not covered under the warranty. Going to cost 135$ to repair that part.....might as well get a new one. Other than that they have both been very happy with it.

Actually there are a large number of Zune screens cracking when left to charge for a while ie: overnight. Mine cracked also, it was in a hard case and I only used it in my car mounted. The screen cracked when I left it to charge overnight on my computer. Looking for screen repair, I found hundreds of reports of zune screens cracking for no apparent reason.

Ray
Small and fast what every girl dreams of!

Just get an Ipod and be done with it. Nothing else is as good.

I strongly disagree with that statement.

I own an iPod 4gb Mini, Several Generic Flash Based MP3 Players (1 to 4 gb in size), a 5th gen 80gb Video iPod and the Creative Zen Vision M. I have tested them all throughly.

The Zen is far superior in every aspect.
Sound Quality is MUCH better on the Zen,
Video is MUCH Better (Zen Display = 256K Colors, iPod=64K Colors),
Battery Life is almost double for the Zen.
Ease of Use is fantastic for the Zen.
Zen comes with built-in FM tuner (No for the iPod), Zen has built in Voice Recorder (Not the iPod),
Zen Plays most Common File types (Ipod does not. It only plays ACC and MP4 files (iTunes Converts MP3s and Mov files to these formats)),
Zen will allow you to delete file directly from the devise (iPoid will not)
Zen show up as Drive when you plug it in, drag and drop what you want. No iTunes headaches and hassles to deal with.
If you Like iTunes, WMP 11 is almost identical and does everything iTunes does and more. Its Free and probably already installed on your computer if you have Windows XP.
Zen will Play WMV9, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG4-SP including DivX 4 & 5, XviD, Motion-JPEG. IPod will only play MP4.

There is not a single thing the iPod does that the Zen doesn’t do and do it better.

Now on to the Negatives of the Zen:
Still doesn’t have an easily replaceable battery (Neither does the iPod).
Zen does not have anywhere near as many accessories. You will not find a Purse that is made to fit your Zen but you will find anything that you actually need.

The Zen came with a 30pin to usb adapter that I did not like at all. For $12 on ebay, I bought a set of 3 different 30 Pin Cables that eliminated the adapter (AC Charges, Car Charger and USB Cable). I threw the adapter in the garbage.

People that rave about the iPod generally have never tried any other MP3 Player. I still challenge anyone to point ut a single thing the iPod does that the Zen Vision M doesn’t do and do better.

Apple has done an excellent job of Marketing an inferior product. Such a good job that people in general don’t even realize what they are missing and are content with what they have even though they have never tried anything else. I strongly believe the iPod Marketing campaign will go down in history as the greatest swindle since N.W Ayers created the "A Diamond is Forever" Campaign (Widely regarded as the most successful ad campaign in history also based completely on hype and molding of public perception).

People will continue to say iPod is the Best because that is what they have heard.. But if you ask them why? They will only be able to say because everyone knows it.

Long as the sheep keep lining up, Reverend Jobs will keep serving out the Kool-Aid!

Now stand by for all the "well I Love my iPod anyway" responses.

There is not a single thing the iPod does that the Zen doesn’t do and do it better.

I have a couple of mp3 players and each have high points and each have their downfalls; however, most manufactures of car stereo's now release versions that will control an Ipod from the car stereo. Yes, you can hook other mp3 players up to a car stereo but you have to use the mp3 player to control the music.
I personally only bought a Ipod video for one reason to put it in my glovebox and have my entire library of music on my car stereo and not have to mess with plugging the unit in and out and hiding it everytime I went somewhere.
Kirk

It just depends on what you are looking for I guess.

I have an old school iPod, I think 1st or 2nd generation and it's been great. Never had any problems with it. Thing works like a champ and is a total workhorse.

I don't use it for anything other than in my car or at work, so I don't ever care about the battery life because it's always plugged in.

Good luck.

"You start off your skydiving career with a bag full of luck and an empty bag of experience. The trick is to fill the bag of experience up before your bag of luck runs out."

Actually there are a large number of Zune screens cracking when left to charge for a while ie: overnight. Mine cracked also, it was in a hard case and I only used it in my car mounted. The screen cracked when I left it to charge overnight on my computer. Looking for screen repair, I found hundreds of reports of zune screens cracking for no apparent reason.

that is good to know - thanks - however, if you knew my son you would know why I had my doubts about spontaneous screen malfunctions - unfortunately he is just like his mother in a lot of aspects.:S:S:S
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!