iluvtofly

Cable Internet Question

It might get even better. Many times when you cancel your cable service it's not really cancelled. They can de-authorize your cable box but unless someone comes out and physically disconnects the line to your residence it's still there. Just bypass the box and hook it directly to your tv. Might work, might not.

Oh, and yes...you can have internet without paying for cable tv.
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

What?????

...and miss out on all those pay-per-view wrestling matches?

:D

You have cable modem, I have slow-ass, unreliable satellite. You get no sympathy from me. Eat more Ramen noodles.

My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I said it was possible. And as far as I know the box is used for premium channels. The basic stuff many times is just there.

If you could do that No One would use a cable box.
My T.V does not talk "Cable"

You must have a really old TV. I have cable hooked to 4 sets in my house...not a one of them has a box. Check the setup postion of your TV's menu. You can switch inputs...one of them most like says "cable" or something like that.

Destinations by Roxanne

What?????

...and miss out on all those pay-per-view wrestling matches?

:D

You have cable modem, I have slow-ass, unreliable satellite. You get no sympathy from me. Eat more Ramen noodles.

I've been thinking about switching to DirectTV. What staellite provider are you using and why is it so slow?

Destinations by Roxanne

Time Warner in San Antonio offers just internet without any tv channels. They install filters at the tap coming into your house that blocks all of the chanels.

Heres what you do, call them and cancel your tv but instead of having them come out and pick up your box offer to take it to them, this way they don't install the filters right away it's put into their dispatch system as a downgrade instead of a disconnect.

If your tv is less than say 15 years old it is probably cable ready. Just take the cable that comes from the wall and screw it into your tv.

Did I mention that I was a a contractor for Time Warner?

The cable companies often use pricing bundles to make it uneconomical to only get cable. One option you might have is to get a wireless service from the cell phone companies. This is usually only available in the larger cities and involves placing the modem in the window to pick up the signal. I was in a place earlier this year and didn't want to call the cable people because when I moved in we had free cable; if the cable guy came we would lose that. The cell company based service works well if you are not in a basement and have a window pointing the right way. In a major city that should be any direction.

I had cable internet for a few years without having cable TV. I have Insight (im in IL). After paying for cable internet i found out that basic cable comes free with the internet. Basic is only like 24 channels, but no box was required. The wire just had a splitter and had one cable going to the TV, the other to the cable modem. It was only after i got extended cable that i needed the cable box.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

for the past two years or so I've had internet through the local Cable provider and DirecTV for my TV viewing pleasure... primarily because the Cable company didn't have any HD options or digital cable options but at $40/month it was a darn good price for Highspeed access in this area...

I've considered going to a wireless service through verizon or something similar in the hopes that I can also access it in other parts of the country while traveling and such but I haven't made the leap yet...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

Time Warner in San Antonio offers just internet without any tv channels. They install filters at the tap coming into your house that blocks all of the chanels.

Heres what you do, call them and cancel your tv but instead of having them come out and pick up your box offer to take it to them, this way they don't install the filters right away it's put into their dispatch system as a downgrade instead of a disconnect.

If your tv is less than say 15 years old it is probably cable ready. Just take the cable that comes from the wall and screw it into your tv.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I just called me cable company and they've figured out this trick. I'm taking my cable box in tomorrow but they said they're still going to send someone out to disconnect it. :( It was worth a try.

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately I just called me cable company and they've figured out this trick. I'm taking my cable box in tomorrow but they said they're still going to send someone out to disconnect it. :( It was worth a try.

Betcha they don't. Cable contractors use disconects as easy pay. They report that they've done the disconnect and get paid but unless there's someone to verify that it happened or that the contractor is bullshitting they usually don't physically disconnect. I'm willing to bet that after you take your box in you'll still have the basic channels for a long time. Lemme know what happens.

Destinations by Roxanne

Like you said sometimes they don't disconnect it and simpily say they do. It just depends on the contractor who's doing the job.
When I first moved into my new house we had "free" cable but after about a month decided we needed internet. When we ordered it we only ordered internet and not TV cable. The guy who came out to install it asked if we would like cable tv, my GF said no, so the asshole went into the basement and cut out all the lines except the internet cable. He cut them from the splitter to as far as he could reach near where they went up the wall and then left them on the floor. If I had been home when he did it i would of smacked the shit out of him.
But I still went out and bought new cable and hooked it back up ;) Just took a little work.

Now the real question is: Anybody use FIOS from Verizon, and how is it different from DSL?

Hey Marc,

I switched to FIOS about 6 months ago from a Brighthouse cable modem. I can't even begin to tell you how fast this thing is. I am averaging 15Mbits download and about 5Mbits upload. My cable used to get e about 4Mbits down and only about 250K up.

ooops: just realized I posted this under Lauras instead of me okalb.