skybytch

Saves on pilot rigs

I have....a butler seat pack rig....pilot experienced an engine fire and cabin filled with smoke. He wasn't even a jumper!!!....I also know the pilot at Taylorville IL. bailed after a jumper had a pre-mature deployment and became entangled with the tail..That pilor was an experienced jumper.

It wasn't a jump pilot, though; it was a glider pilot. Does that count?

Sure. Any pilot save counts - GA, glider, military or jump.

A lot of riggers pack a lot of pilot rigs; it'd be nice to have some idea of how often they get used.

Has anyone packed a pilot rig that was used to save a pilot's life?

Ralph Hatley's (eagle creek skydiving in Oregon) pilot had to bail out of a cessna 182 about 4 years ago, I believe Ralph packed that rig.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Back in 1993 I saved two pilots, but lost a third.
A couple of pilots bailed out of a Sukhoi - in Colorado - and deployed Butler back packs that I had packed. Apparently they suffered a problem with the tail control bellcranks.
Unfortunately we also lost a customer during the Renmo Air Races that same year. When the twin-engined Pond Racer suffered an engine failure, the pilot tried to land it on a dry lake bed. He was doing great until he rolled into the rough still going too fast. We don't know whether the crash or fire killed him.

I don't know who packed it, but someone saved Baz's ass when a reserve deployed in the door and took the tail off the Caravan he was flying at Nagambie, Victoria, Australia in 2001. The story is posted elsewhere on this site.

Same story at Hartwood, VA (USA) but the plane was a Cessna 206. Pilot landed in a tree quite the worse for wear. Unfortunately we lost a jumper that day.

Most of what I pack are for pilots... and it is my hope that none of them ever have need of them, and my assumption that every one will be used the next day.

JW
Always remember that some clouds are harder than others...

Bob Celaya out at the California City Skydive Center claims one.

Its been a couple of years since I packed any pilot rigs for the glider geeks out there, but knowing pilots and how frequently they get their trash repacked, its probably still my pack-job they're sitting on. :P

I'd like to know who packed the bailout rigs that Dick Rutan and his co-pilot used when they un-assed themselves from that balloon they were trying to go around the world in several years back. You still see the footage on Real TV and the like sometimes. As the story goes... it wasn't Dick's first jump, but I thought he would have known better to dump a pilot rig BEFORE terminal, but he probably quickly forgot the pain of that opening after the landing in a field full of cactus in high winds... reportedly, it was the other guy's first jump.

I'd like to know who packed the bailout rigs that Dick Rutan and his co-pilot used when they un-assed themselves from that balloon they were trying to go around the world in several years back.

Can you say Jeremy
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I'd like to know who packed the bailout rigs that Dick Rutan and his co-pilot used when they un-assed themselves from that balloon they were trying to go around the world in several years back.

Can you say Jeremy

Well, there ya go, Bytch, Jeremy Mahoney (sp?) has two.

MJO, did Jerm charge extra for the repack after that to pick all the cactus needles out of the gear first...
:P

Can you say Jeremy

My old next door neighbor in the "Ghetto" and co worker @ the old PVP loft.

Mick.

Out of curiosity:

Do pilot rigs contain ram airs or rounds?
Do pilots have any training on how to fly and land a parachute, or just a plane? Is how to use a parachute included in the requirements for a pilot's license?
Do they have mains and reserves like we do? or just one parachute like some BASE rigs? If they have a main and reserve, do they do cutaway drills like we do?

I've seen a pilot's rig, but I didn't get a close look at it. The questions above probably seem pretty dumb, but your question got me wondering what kind of parachute training most pilots get and I really don't have a clue.

Jerm's doing rigging and manufacturing work for us here at Apex BASE in Perris . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

He was working for Joe Crotwell at AERO at the time and did all the pilot rigs for Scaled Composites.

Out of curiosity:
Do pilot rigs contain ram airs or rounds?

(etc)

Pilot rigs have just one chute. The plane is their "main", the rig on their back is the "reserve".
99%+ of the time it is a round canopy. There's no required training. There are usually a couple pages in the manual about how to use the chute - how to deploy, how to steer, how to land. For most pilots, it's a matter of getting out of the airplane, getting clear, pulling the ripcord, and worrying about everything else when that time comes! For any knowledge beyond that, it is up to the pilot to educate himself. Some pilots will ask a few more questions when buying the chute or when talking to their rigger.

PS - One save I know of is by a rigger named Julian who started jumping in the Toronto area but later was at Chicagoland or thereabouts. He got one or two saves a few years ago from the pilots of a Christen Eagle aerobatic aircraft who had to bail for some reason.

Out of curiosity:

Do pilots have any training on how to fly and land a parachute, or just a plane?

No training at all. Bailout rigs don't have to be used unless the aircraft ,powered or glider, will engage in acrobatics. Few pilots like some jumpers don't like "unusual attitudes" under a stable flying wing.

Most real pilots could should be able to out accurately flare and land a square parachute in their bail-out rig for their first time better than a 20 something pre A liscense jumper!!!!!

One of the best pilot 'how to use it' seminars that I have ever seen was given by Alan Silver up at the Arlington, WA air show about 5 yrs ago. Alan is in the SFO Bay area.

If you have a pilot-type who really wants to learn about his parachute, tell him to try to get to one of Alan's seminars. They are good.

Jerry

will engage in acrobatics.

Or happen to be flying a homebuilt/experimental aircraft.

Most real pilots could should be able to out accurately flare and land a square parachute in their bail-out rig for their first time better than a 20 something pre A liscense jumper!!!!!

You would think so, but that is why most of them jump a round.