livendive

College education...worth the effort/expense?

Obviously I know my own answer to this question, but I'd like to get some other people's input. Hopefully I've got all the bases covered. Note, this is for people who are not working on a degree, but I put up an option for you students anyhow. :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

A college degree is well worth the time, money and effort. I spent many years trying to support myself and my two kids working dead end, low wage jobs. Not only am I now able to earn substantially more now, I can work at a job I really like. After working in a variety of jobs that includes account clerk, movie theater manager, grocery checker, deli worker and assorted others, I can do what I love and get paid for it. I don't know which I like better, doing math or teaching math. (I've got to admit that skydiving has taken the top spot in my life lately, but the college education is paying off even there. Because of my job, I was able to afford that first tandem jump that got me hooked on this crazy life.)
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

I hope it's worth something...working on one now. If nothing else, it's to get in the door and demonstrate the practical experience. I keep saying that I'm going "just to be able to check the box". That said, I'm sure there's valuable information to be had.

i've spent my entire adult life working without a degree. now i'm 33 and working on a degree. it may or may not help me, but at least it will give me more options.

I got an associate degree at 26 and didn't finish up my bachelor degree till I was 35. It was a major pain in the ass, as I had a "real" job for all but the first two quarters at a community college, but I definitely think it was worth it. As you said, it gives me a lot more options (in addition to a pretty good job now). I've considered going back to school for a masters, but I'm getting older and "tireder" and I just don't know that I have another two years of that kind of struggling left in me. :$:D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I got my degree about 15 years ago. I'd guess it got me about $20,000 a year income more than I would have been able to get without it. I spent about $40,000 on school.

It was worth it for me because I do work that I love to do and I make decent money doing it. I think I'm lucky.
Owned by Remi #?

i've spent my entire adult life working without a degree. now i'm 33 and working on a degree. it may or may not help me, but at least it will give me more options.

I was 34 when I decided to go to college and get a degree. I ended up with a BA and an MA. It was a scary decision to quit my job and be a full time student, but it has been well worth it Go for it.

POPS #10490

I've considered going back to school for a masters, but I'm getting older and "tireder" and I just don't know that I have another two years of that kind of struggling left in me.

I was 41 before I completed my masters. It wasn't easy, but it was very satisfying. I love learning as much or more than I love teaching. I don't believe it's ever a wasted effort.

POPS #10490

For me it is worth it. I am self sufficient if need be although right now I don't have to be. It is a nice option that not everyone gets - so yep I am spoiled on top of it. I have a decent income so I could work part time if I wanted and pick up more hours as needed if I want to save up for something special.
DPH # 2
"I am not sure what you are suppose to do with that, but I don't think it is suppose to flop around like that." ~Skootz~
I have a strong regard for the rules.......doc!

Depends what you want the degree for. Many students waste 4 college years to only get a job they would have gotten anyways, with or without the diploma. On the other hand, there are jobs out there that only start at the college graduate level, if not even beyond... like medicine, law, computer engineering etc. You really have to evaluate how much you *need* that college diploma in order to achieve your own goals.
It's just really important to first think really well *why* you're getting that college degree... and know well *what* you're going to do with it when you get it.

Anymore, I think you GOTTA have something beyond high school.

OTOH, it doesn't need to be four years at a secluded campus with ivy growing on the walls. Choose whatever kind of postsecondary education works for you: four year institution, community college, certificate programs, online education, trade school, whatever. Just get SOMETHING. The days when high school prepared you for the real world are long gone.

More and more, I am realizing (as lots of others are) that education is no longer a "I'm done with it" proposition. Instead, in the future, I believe that in order to stay competitive in whatever field you may choose, you will need to continually re-educate yourself, continually add to your knowledge base. The business world is progressing too rapidly to do anything else and expect to stay afloat.

Elvisio "was an engineer, now a nurse, but still in school for even more shit" Rodriguez

Bottom line. It is like having Jacks-or-better to open.
If someone else has a 4-yr degree and you don't...

Many jobs require "degree or equivalent experience".
Hard to get the experience without getting hired.

English - communication skills. unless you stay at the bottom, you will be promoted to a spot where you will write emails and documents. if the documents are poorly written, the content/goal may not be approved.

There are classes to gain competency in the desired skill.

Some are of no interest, but consume about one year of college classes.

It's just really important to first think really well *why* you're getting that college degree... and know well *what* you're going to do with it when you get it.

I wouldn't say that's always true...

I've never used my degree in the actual designated field, but having a degree opened so many doors into others, that the worth is incalculatable.

One of the most successful friends I have holds a degree in art history...he sells million dollar homes to people that know art.

What a degree does (in many cases) is shows a potential employer that you have the tenacity to get one, the motivation to complete it and that if nothing else, you know how to GET the information that you need to get the job done.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

It depends on the degree. I know a few people English degrees - working at Starbucks.

I tend to agree with you... I think it also depends highly on the persons motivation, work ethic, job etc.. I know several people with degrees who make less than me (no degree - 3 yrs of college)

I am definitely not doing what I want to do - if I were to go back to school and complete my degree my salary would be cut in half.

g
"Let's do something romantic this Saturday... how bout we bust out the restraints?"
Raddest Ho this side of Jersey #1 - MISS YOU
OMG, is she okay?

It depends on the degree. I know a few people English degrees - working at Starbucks.

Sure..but they can write some dynamite papers and reviews. Some have the gumption to get up and teach English. Being excited about the written word and its history is very important and in the right market..valuable and put into practice. (My sister has an English Lit Bach).

Somebody's going to have to carry that torch. What does she do now? She works for an import/export co and she's still HUNGRY for her Masters...so am I!

There is a joy in learning and if you can prove you can absorb practically any material, you can always go out and learn something new for a prospective employer.

After your parents push you to finish high school/college..and you're working as a grease monkey, there is a certain pride to know you can cross reference information and articulate it to the Board of Directors!. ~~April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

College is way less work than work.

My daughter is in her first year and wants to drop out. I keep telling her that working full time sucks and she's crazy not to take advantage of living off her parents for 4 more years. She wants to get an apartment with her friend. They think $10/hour jobs are going to give them enough money to do that. :ph34r:

The other day, she complained when I asked her to vacuum my house. I reminded her that if she got that apartment, she'd be doing ALL the cleaning, shopping and laundry on top of working. I haven't heard her talk about it since.

I have a degree and I think it was worth it. Besides, how can being more educated be a bad thing?
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

From a financial perspective - in general, yes.

While there are exceptional exceptions (e.g., rock stars), a 2002 US Dept of Commerce study found that “over an adult's working life, high school graduates can expect, on average, to earn $1.2 million; those with a bachelor's degree, $2.1 million; and people with a master's degree, $2.5 million. Persons with doctoral degrees earn an average of $3.4 million during their working life, while those with professional degrees do best at $4.4 million.”

VR/Marg

Act as if everything you do matters, while laughing at yourself for thinking anything you do matters.
Tibetan Buddhist saying

There are some interesting opinions on this topic...but let me share with you one thing that I have learned: A degree is only useful and worthwhile if you use it. That sums it up.

I am currently 24 1/2 years old and have never had a break from school since I've started. In 2005 I graduated with a 4 year B.S. in IT, I also earned my M.S. in Management last year, and this week I just finished my 1st semester of doctoral coursework to work towards my Ph.D in Information Systems and will graduate at 27 years old. Yeah I'm young, but my effort in pursuing the use of my degrees is what has already paid off and landed me a decent job that pays well.

I find the hardest thing for me to do is sacrificing my desire to skydive as a hobby. As a full-time student with a full-time job, I could not commit the time that I need to safely participate in the sport. This kills me...but I know a better future awaits with an extra 50 or so jumps a year IF I can stick with it for another 18 months. Though you will likely forfeit a few precious boogie weekends, you are fortunate that the course load for a 4 year degree will not merit the need to sacrifice the hobby entirely.

I personally find that getting paid well is not the most important thing in all of this...it is LIKING or hopefully LOVING what you do EVERYDAY! A degree in your chosen field allows you to do just that--you will have options that you never had before with each new degree. Your salary will increase and the sooner you earn your degree, the more money you will make to pay for the cost of your education and then some...

Last but not least, a degree or even high school is not for everyone. I mean that in a good way. There are so many great people out there that find joy in serving food, driving a taxi, or stamping parking tickets. You typically don't need a degree for such jobs, however we NEED these people in society. The important thing is that you find what works best for you. Would you be happy working one of those jobs or do you desire more? Are you willing to put forth the effort required over the short-term to get what you want in the long-term?

To each his own, but choose wisely!

I really don't know how to vote. I have a college degree - an associates in architectural technology and I've worked as a CAD operator, Senior CAD Technician and as a CAD project manager for architectural and ductile iron pipe companies for about 10 years and feel kind of burned out with that shit. Even though I have AutoCAD 2007 loaded on my home computer.

I dunno what I want to do next. If I could get as good at poker like bigway that would be a great source of income but of course it would be unpredictable. I'd like to be able to work from home though.

Edited to add: however, the funny thing is I was at one point making more money a year with my Associates' degree than my wife was with her Masters degree! :D

"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban