novacaine

Does flying scare you?

I know a jumper with thousands of jumps that hates to fly. Scares him to death.

He was riding with a new pilot at the DZ. They guy he trusted was right seat so he got on. They positioned him near the back of the plane and were talking with him (on video during take off) about what he thought of the new guy.

Pretty quick after takeoff his pilot buddy pushed the rudder and turned on the stall horn. The plane was in no danger just the quick jerk and the noise.

He dove for the closed door, seatbelt on and all. When he saw everyone laughing he knew it was okay. The look on his face was priceless.
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.

Personally I think it is a control issue.

That's probably my problem. I'm never comfortable on a commercial flight and don't really like being in a jump plane until the seatbelts come off. Put me in a piston plane and I'm good to go. I'm not a pilot, I just feel better when I can reach the controls.
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

No, but I am very afraid of heights unless I'm in a moving aircraft. I can't stand being too close to a window if I'm above about the 6th floor of an office building. But in an aircraft, even when sitting next to an open door during takeoff, no problem (although I'd always had a rig on when doing that).

It is unfortunate that so many people fear airplanes. Airplanes are a necesary evil in this sport we love. To hate any part of the sport takes away from your overall enjoyment of the experience.

The suggestion has already been made that you learn to fly. That might help.

Tell ya the truth, I love to fly but it can be hard to watch another pilot control your destiny
HPDBs, I hate those guys.
AFB, charter member.

I have been in commercial airplanes since I was 6 months old. When I started skydiving I loved the rides up and was terrified to jump out and leave the comfort of the plane. Now that I am a bit more experienced I love jumping out and hate the ride up. I especially hate riding in commercial airlines... I use to love the take-offs and landings but now I am terrified of them.

flying in a big commercial aircraft does not scare me.

But the first time I went skydiving I was pretty scared AND claustrophobic crammed into that little rickety tin can of a plane with all those other people (a King Air. I wonder how I would have handled it if my first jump was from a C182!:o)

Claustrophobia is a problem with me.

If I enter a small space, such as a small cave, and someone comes in behind me blocking the exit, it drives me up the f&*king wall!!B|:o:o

Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

***Can i come hang out with you on "take your daughter to work day"?

BWAAAHHHHAAA!!!!You can hang out with me any time.:)

"I'm not a gynecologist but I will take a look at it"
RB #1295, Smokey Sister #1, HellFish #658, Dirty Sanchez #194, Muff Brothers #3834, POPS #9614, Orfun Foster-Parent?"

Not the same plane, but here's a photo of one unique bird.

All it needs, is a saddle! :)

The name of the plane is the Emigh A-2 Trojan.

Most owners that fly their plane to an airshow/fly-in will often wear a t-shirt that says
"I came in a Trojan".:D

And the plane is actually bigger then it looks in the photo, but not much.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

As for advice, I like to look at it as "risk vs. reward". I am willing to risk riding in a plane for the wonderful reward of skydiving. The reward far out weights the risk.

Everything in this world is risk-vs-reward. My objection is with unnecessary risk. Why be stupid with the plane for no good reason?

Call around to your local flight schools and ask if they offer a "Discovery flight". They are usually about $80, and you can always ask if they'll do a longer one. Be upfront about why you want to do this, whether you want to lear to fly or not, but just learning a bit more about flying might help you manage those fears easier.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

I love to fly and would love at some point in my life get my private pilots license. Have a good friend who is an incredible instructor, so he has already offered. What I am afraid of is landing. I've been through a few white knuckle rides and it scares the shit out of me. But like they say. Any landing you walk away from is a good landing.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

Flying use to scare the crap out of me. Now I am good once we reach about 3k. I HATE TAKE-OFF!!!!!!!! I think you will find a lot of jumpers who aren't freaking out but are uneasy till you reach a certain alt. think about your fear...to me it is the fear that I don't have control, but as you said, once you hear "DOOR" your good, because you know your in total control again. To me its a healthy fear, because once you start to get comfortable and lax, that is usually when something happens. But the fear and sweating hands etc. will subside, that is when you should remember that one of the most dangerous parts of a skydive is take-off and landing.

My first flight instructor told me that a good landing is one that the airplane can be flown again afterwords, but any landing you can RUN away from is good enough.
He was real big on staying alive. Some of the stuff he taught me served me well on a few white knuckle flights. I'm still alive, anyway.
Zing Lurks