Thanatos340

Should people that no longer Jump still post here?

The subject of people that rarely jump or no longer jump at all still posting came up in the open forum thread. In order to keep that thread on topic, I thought I would start a separate poll/thread to see what others thought.

Kitty brought up a good question in that thread about "why would someone that no longer Jumps post to a Skydiving forum?"

What are your thoughts?

They should not be allowed to post on any forum, and should all be sent to China!:|

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

to those that think uncurrent jumpers should no longer post here: get off your high horse. am i no longer cool enough to be a part of your little group? unfortunately i don't get to jump enough to stay current, so this is the way i can still be a part of the skydiving community that has become my family. some day my life will allow me to get to the dz more, but until then, this is what i have. i'm just glad that 4 out of 5 of you still welcome me. when i started jumping, that number would have been closer to 99 out of 100.

"Your scrotum is quite nice" - Skymama
www.kjandmegan.com

I'll be back up in the air one day. When I can afford it. Life happens.

Does that make me a "shouldn't be posting here person?"

Not in my book. You are one of the people who makes skydiving about the bestest thing in the world. You have jumped. You clearly still love it and you will be back in the air one of these days.
"safety first... and What the hell.....
safety second, Too!!! " ~~jmy

POPS #10490

As someone who has been skydiving since well before dropzone.com and having seen the mess that ensued on rec.skydiving, it was great to have a new, well-moderated forum to shoot
the breeze with skydivers. Of late though, the bonfire has become something of a zoo, and I believe a good portion of the blame lies with people who post excessively with nothing of value to say. So to expand on some of my observations:

1. Should non-jumpers continue to post here?
The argument is made that once you've made a jump, you're a skydiver. Fair enough. But there's a difference between the old-timer who made hundreds or thousands of jumps and decided to call it a day and the xx-jump wonder who "quit" (before really starting!), but can't quite let go. Imagine a dropzone where 30% of the crowd at the bonfire was xx-jump wonders from 10 years ago, who couldn't stop talking. Some of the best skydiving stories (No Shit There ...) I've heard have been around real-life bonfires from old timers who didn't jump that much. I can't remember the last time I read a good one at the dropzone.com bonfire (except, perhaps, when Walt Appel posted his reminiscences).

2. What's with all of the East Coast/GA jumpers?
Isn't there a more local forum to discuss the evening's plans? It's almost like it's impossible to pick up the phone and call each other. And, spare us the details of the drama of your local squabbles, the jerk who cut you off on the drive home, the neighbor who is constantly getting arrested, the amount of liquor you've imbibed and how drunk you are. Seriously, it's getting really old. Get out and jump some more.

3. Offensive content?
OK, some of the stuff people posted is really out there. And, it's up to the admins to enforce Sangiro's rules. But, in my opinion, I'd rather see someone like Walt post a picture of a turd once in a while, and be in fear for my health/sanity,if I ever jumped in Texas, than to read the inane flirting consisting mainly of demands for boobies at every turn.

Sorry if this comes off as a little harsh (and probably whiny!) but I'm glad that people have brought up the subject and that doing so might bring the focus back to skydiving. The more topical forums are a great resource and it's a shame that the bonfire has drifted so much, but hopefully the worst offenders will get a clue and back off a little!

I'd rather see someone like Walt post a picture of a turd once in a while, and be in fear for my health/sanity,if I ever jumped in Texas, than to read the inane flirting consisting mainly of demands for boobies at every turn.

Flirting is mandatory, my Dove chocolate wrapper said so. If it says it on a chocolate wrapper, it must be true. :P
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

be part of the larger skydiving community...

Well, as one of the larger community members-Glad to have ya

And as one in the community with a larger member...I too welcome all ! :$

....is that a community member ?

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

The subject of people that rarely jump or no longer jump at all still posting came up in the open forum thread. In order to keep that thread on topic, I thought I would start a separate poll/thread to see what others thought.

Kitty brought up a good question in that thread about "why would someone that no longer Jumps post to a Skydiving forum?"

What are your thoughts?

You don't really jump. So would this apply to you?:S:o
LifeshouldNOTbeajourneytothegravewithawellpreservedbody,buttskidinsideways,cigarinone hand,martiniintheother,bodythoroughlyused upandscreaming:"WOO HOO!! What a ride!!!"

Not any more! ;):ph34r:

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Not any more! ;):ph34r:

We all wish you and Turtle the best
You are only as strong as the prey you devour

You don't really jump. So would this apply to you?

Absolutely.

Edit: How many jumps a Week/Month/Year do I need to do to be a REAL Skydiver(TM)? I have been doing about 3 to 5 Jumps a Month lately. How many post should I get for that?

Maybe we should set up a point system.

We could put a post governor on the forums that keep you from posting if you only do so many per given time frame. Of course there would have to be a macro built to adjust for license.

THAT would be great!
I'm not usually into the whole 3-way thing, but you got me a little excited with that. - Skymama
BTR #1 / OTB^5 Official #2 / Hellfish #408 / VSCR #108/Tortuga/Orfun