Thanatos340

Should people that no longer Jump still post here?

Of course not, and if you re-read my post it says the ones who are wasting bandwith on non sense, and why post a bunch of crap if your not even part of the sport anymore. I understand wanting to stay apart of it, but most of the shit posted on bonfire we could do without. And most of the nonsense is unfortunantely from NON Jumpers. Go to a non jumping site for that or email your one/two friends and have your convo there. Again, just my opinion.

However, if Sangrio stopped jumping and money from the site wasnt being made, I would agree with his decision to dump the site, but isnt the question about people who post here and not jump, not own/run the site and not jump??????
SONIC WOODY #146

There is a fine line between cockiness and confidence -- which side of the line are you on?

It is fun to go threw the different threads and pick out the HPDBs (huge poser douche bags). It makes me feel both good about myself and my huge base of useless skydiving knowledge.

I like to go threw posts of people telling everyone how smart they are, and inadvertently showing the proof. :D:D:D

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I think that it's kinda funny that the people that stayed in constant trouble for wasting bandwidth in Talkback are some of the most respected poster today

the vast majority of the Vile and Purile posts are made by active jumpers.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

There are various reasons some of us step out of the sport. Sometimes it is out of our control, others is is a decision we made for various reasons. I am one of those people who had to step out of the sport. I am still hoping it is a temporary thing and will be jumping again in the future. However, right now finances will not allow it. It started as an injury then turned into something else. I miss the sky and hope to be back in the sky soon. For now I am on the ground.

If it makes me less of a person because I had to choose to stay on the ground for the time being then so be it. I frankly do not care for the greater then thou attitude that some skydivers have developed. I am still a jumper, just not currently active and I have friends on the forums that I still communicate with.

If you do not want me around cause I am not current, my response...KISS MY WHITE ASS :P Get over yourself.

That bears repeating.

It can also apply to those who enjoy other sports, and yet they are not excluded from conversing with those who don't currently participate.

Think about that.

Some people whom others consider NOT CURRENT, and would exclude them from things like POPs jumps, have become huge ELITIST ASSHOLES, in that the ones they excluded are responsible for helping to create the AFP program that the person excluding them graduated from.

Talk about a lack of gratitude, and failing to give due respect, and possibly acknowledge the skills of fellow jumpers.

Jumpers with actual national championships, not just fleeting dreams of one.

No way! People who no longer skydive have nothing to offer either dropzone.com or humanity in general.

Well........looks like i'm fucked then.
So much for 27 years.:(

bozo
Pain is fleeting. Glory lasts forever. Chicks dig scars.

All I can say is, "I'll be back." It's just not going to be tomorrow. Ordinarily I feel no need to explain myself or prove what I know or what I can do, but I recognize sometimes it helps others to understand if you give a little. I've said before--for me I just like doing so many things. I like trying new things. I like learning new things. And simultaneously I like routine & habit. Right now I'm not willing to commit so much time per month to jumping. And I truly believe one needs to do that to stay current and be safe.

Billy hasn't jumped so much either in the last couple years but he still jumps. He has 5,000+ jumps. He just had major surgery and once recovered I know he will be back regularly--and I support & look forward to that.

For me, it very simply boils down to a commitment. Many hobbies require commitment but few require it as a life or death situation. I mean if I decide not to tend to my orchids and one dies--oops. I'll buy another.

See?
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

So .. in a bunch of peoples minds.. if you have only mad a jump or two.. you are not really a skydiver....

I think we did this to death a few years ago.

To me if you have left an airplane of your own free will.. you have skydived... so why should those with less jump numbers be excluded.

Not everyone can go to the DZ and crank out 500 jumps a year.

Funny that you mentioned this.

In the Netherlands there is one of those "social network sites" called "Hyves" (think 'Myspace') and it is very popular with virtually 'everybody' having his personal space on the web there and lots and lots of possibilities to meet old friends and find groups with a common interest.
(Best of all - everybody "speaks"/ types Dutch which is what I would want you all to do to make this place here more convenient for me ... :)
Anyway - on that site I saw that one of my friends from long ago that had to stop jumping due to medical reasons had actually joined a community called something like "used to jump"
It was a "hyves special interest group" that hyvers may form to find 'soulmates'

Several people had already joined and they could talk about what it was like when they were jumping, how much they missed it, what else they found to spend their weekends with etcetera.

When I look at it it strikes me that the group "I used to jump" in reality is much bigger than the group "I'm still jumping on a regular basis" :)
Now this hyves / used-to-group - as far as I remember, I only glanced - was started for and by people that had to give up because of medical reason and were pretty hard core when that happened. (My friend had to quit when he was with the Dutch National Champions in RW4 training in Florida as their cameraflyer)

However, from the looks of it they were not planning to be verry 'exclusive' and the only criterium for admission is that you were forced to quit.

Of course my friends perspective is quite different from someone who booked a complete static line course that he somehow never finished (scared shitless since jump nr 3 - never got around making nr 4)

That is also someone who 'used to jump' and not being able to overcome your fear may also 'force you to quit' and in some circles a person like that may have earned some bragging rights but IMHO it cannot be compared to what happened to my friend who probably would still be jumping if not for that medical condition that made it impossible...

Of course one could argue that they could post in "skydivers with disabilities" but somehow that seems to be about overcoming "minor setbacks" like missing limbs and being bound to wheelchairs - they keep jumping AFAIK...

(In fact there is one blind person I know who made his second jump with me on a tandem - he seems like a genuine 'active' skydiver...)

Sooo - a seperate Bonfire for ex-jumpers then? Just to avoid offending those hard core +250 jumps a year skydivers who don't want to listen to all your laments and "mindless drivel"

I honestly wouldn't know. But I'm still active for the time being... :P

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

You have to be joking. A separate BONFIRE for people who used to jump??? What on EARTH is said in Bonfire that requires a separate forum depending upon your current jumping status? Even the kinder, gentler, cleaner Bonfire doesn't seem to require that kind of segregation.
TPM Sister #102

Some people whom others consider NOT CURRENT, and would exclude them from things like POPs jumps,

I wouldn't exclude 'em...those are exactly the old fucks who make POPS jumps so scary fun! :D

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

No way! People who no longer skydive have nothing to offer either dropzone.com or humanity in general.

Well........looks like i'm fucked then.
So much for 27 years.:(
no one takes you seriously anyways ya Bozo
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Then again (pleased to meet you Jewels) one cannot help to wonder what it is that a Student with 4 jumps has to contribute to a SKYDIVING site that forces her to make more than three times as many contributions in one year than a DZO / instructor / tandemmaster in 6 years?

You type faster than me? All words of profound wisdom, I guess?

B|:):)

"Whoever in discussion adduces authority uses not intellect but memory." - Leonardo da Vinci
A thousand words...

Some people whom others consider NOT CURRENT, and would exclude them from things like POPs jumps, have become huge ELITIST ASSHOLES, in that the ones they excluded are responsible for helping to create the AFP program that the person excluding them graduated from.

Don't care how many years someone has in the sport. If they aren't current, they have no business on a big skydive. It's not about politics, it's about safety.