yardhippie

Cloverfield: Hella good marketing?

Based on the trailers...my prediction is that we won't see what the heck scary beastie is until at least 3/4 of the way through the film.

I'm thinking they're going to keep it hidden to try to build you up for...whatever it is...towards the end.

Interesting, I guess that might make the audience 'feel' more as if they are in the story, but for me personally that kind of story is just aggravating.

-I thing 'Signs' did a good job of using a similar tactic, though. M. Night Shamalamadingdong is an amazing director, though. I'm not sure this guy can pull it off.
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

Based on the trailers...my prediction is that we won't see what the heck scary beastie is until at least 3/4 of the way through the film.

I'm thinking they're going to keep it hidden to try to build you up for...whatever it is...towards the end.

Interesting, I guess that might make the audience 'feel' more as if they are in the story, but for me personally that kind of story is just aggravating.

-I thing 'Signs' did a good job of using a similar tactic, though. M. Night Shamalamadingdong is an amazing director, though. I'm not sure this guy can pull it off.

The 'keep the ultimate antagonist hidden as long as possible' device is a page right out of Chris Carter's book, who borrowed the idea from other's I'm sure. It works in certain formulae, but can be rather frustrating when used incorrectly. And going too far in either direction (show the antagonist too early or not at all) can be a thorn in some movie-goers' crotches. Think "Blair Witch".

FWIW, I thought "Signs" was excellent UNTIL they showed the alien walking down the street in the middle of the day. That took the excitement out of it for me. Oh, and I LOVE that you use the same moniker for that filmmaker that I do (been calling him 'Shamalamadingdong' since "The Sixth Sense".) Regardless, it all boils down to personal preference and life experience.

[captain obvious voice]Some people will like JJ Abrams' new film, some won't and some won't even know it existed before it hits the shelves of Wal-Mart.[/captain obvious voice]
Kevin - Sonic Beef #5 - OrFun #28
"I never take myself too seriously, 'cuz everybody know fat birds don't fly." - FLC
Online communities: proof that people never mature much past high school.

I thought "Signs" was excellent UNTIL they showed the alien walking down the street in the middle of the day.

You mean when he's watching it on TV? Funny, I thought that was the best scare. Made it seem more real.

I like Shyamalan's films but sadly I think he peaked early with the fantastic The Sixth Sense. I reckon every movie he's done since has been a bit more disappointing than the last.

I thing 'Signs' did a good job of using a similar tactic, though. M. Night Shamalamadingdong is an amazing director, though. I'm not sure this guy can pull it off.

Do you still have your pointy aluminum hat??

-I loved that scene! :D
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

I'm not going to spend good money on a movie ticket until I know what the heck I'm going to get to see. Their marketing has got me curious, but not enough to gamble $9 on it. I'll wait for someone else to find out first if this is just another dumb Godzilla flick.

damn you are cheep, even with a name like that! ;)

Sometimes. Especially so with all the dumb monster movies I've seen in my lifetime. It needs to be something different to get my attention, and money, these days.

I saw the movie. I really really disliked it. It is pointless. I wasted prescious time of my life that I could have spent cleaning my rig haha

Do I look shocked?

Well, obviously you can't see me, but I assure you, if you could, you would note just how dramatically unshocked I look.

I'n not normally caught up in any good marketing ploys, but dayum. Anyone else just seen the trailers on the TV and have a desire to see that movie?

It will probably be completely devoid of plot, and overall, not that good, but the trailers are exciting and very well done.

Comments?

So? Who has seen it?

I liked the movie but the camera movement gave me a headache. I thought that the idea was great and pulled you into the movie better being from the prespective of people caught in the middle.
Kirk

You and I are definitely not the only ones who thought shaky-cam made this suck.
http://www.cnn.com/2008/HEALTH/01/24/movie.sickness/index.html
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

have not read the thread.. this is my opinion after leaving the theater in disgust and shamed to have given them my money (the manager understood and gave me a free pass for another movie later on)

Complete fucking shit.

1st person camera gimmicks do not make for good story telling....

if you insist on seeing it in the theater DO NOT

1.drink before going in.. continually blurring camera made at least 10 people walk out sick at least 2 puked before making it to the bathrooms..

2. sit anywhere in the first 15 rows...

ive got a very strong stomach and generally have no issues with motion sickness.. however this steaming turd made me dizzy enough i went to the far back of the theater through pure stubborness to make it through this complete waste of time and money...

wait for DVD...

plot wise it was ok.. and the characters and acting were not bad tbh, (i couldn't wait for the 'camera man' to die he was actually that much of an annoying retard)

however the fact the director thinks he needs to stick with the 1st person camera for the entire movie for some lame attempt at 'verisimilitude' is a clear indication he needs his head examined and should be asking 'do you want fries with that?' for his next project..

i cant think of the last time i was so ashamed of having spent my money at a movie theater...

5 thumbs down... basically a remake of Godzilla/Alien invasion done very poorly with the 'blair witch' style camera work (although alot better camera that was continually used as if it were a handheld which it clearly was not)

dont waste your time or money on this flaming pile of shit unless you are leaving it on the directors doorstep so he steps it out....