peek

(Old) picture of the premature opening in the aircraft door

A while back someone was asking for the picture of the photo of the aftermath of a premature opening in the door.

The article in the December 1967 Parachutist:
http://www.skydivestlouisarea.com/instruction/C206_torndoor.jpg

Someone recently gave me some Parachutist magazines from the 60's and 70's, which I had not seen yet.

The old days when sex was safe and skydiving was dangerous. Wow... a jumpmaster with 50 jumps. I mean sure, it was the 60's when the sport was still relatively new for fun jumpers, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm glad I started when I did. :o
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Hi Billy,

Wow... a jumpmaster with 50 jumps.

I made my first jump in Feb '64. The dzo ( who was really never around ) had a D-license, the next most experienced guy had just gotten his C-license ( ~75-80 jumps ), the 'chief' instructor had all of 35 jumps.

The guy who put me out was an old-timer with ~45 jumps. :P

It is the way it was,

JerryBaumchen

Hi Billy,

I made my first jump in Feb '64. The dzo ( who was really never around ) had a D-license, the next most experienced guy had just gotten his C-license ( ~75-80 jumps ), the 'chief' instructor had all of 35 jumps.

It is the way it was,

JerryBaumchen

Hi Jerry,
A most indubidable "YES!!" to,"It is the way it was!!" You made your first hop in FEB64, I made mine in MAY64 although the "experience level" had grown a bit around Hammond. The Inst./JM of Southland Skydivers at the time was Numan M. Gill (my inst./JM) who had at the time jumps at or over (not sure) the 3 digit mark and B-1929!! When I was still in High School and hanging out at the airport in the early 60's Louisiana Skydivers got started in Baton Rouge and would Jump at Hammond. "Nobody had any experience" so they found some guy from east Texas to come over and train some of them!! This one guy(LSU student) Phillip R. "Cappy" Connors tells the story of making two S/L jumps at Orange Mass and the Texas guy says,"You're the CSO(club safety officer) because you have the most experience!!" Remember boys and girls this is 1960-61!! Cappy said that he had 2 ea. 1st jump S/L students in the 172, jumpmastered them then climbed out and did his 3rd jump a DRCP!! I remember seeing guys packing cheapo's on the flight line reading the directions out of Bud Sellic's Book!!!! How 'ya like them apples!!??!!
PS I think I posted this story in Steve1's "Scary stories" thread.
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

That photo was in that book we all read. And that's why we where (are) so anal about handles . . .

NickD :)

Hi Nick,
That photo ain't the only one!! There's also one of the back door of a 206 peeled back like the top of a sardine can back when I was going for my JM rating!! There are others of varying degrees!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Good thing it was a C-206 with the door in the back. The C-182's aerilon control cables run up the channel in the back of the door. Doing that in a C-182 usually results in losing the whole aircraft.

P.S. I JM'd my first student when I had 46 jumps. Busy day at the DZ and they said "Be careful, and watch your handles.";)

Hi Billy,

It is the way it was,

JerryBaumchen

There used to be a jumper at Perris named Tommy Owens, may he RIP. Deli will remember him. He used to tell the story of his first jump. It was in 1962 and his instructor was Bill Stage may he RIP. At the time Bill was the skygod because he had survived 11 jumps. Tommy went on to become part of the world record 10 man baton pass and Bill ended up SCR-5 and put me out on static line a few year later. Student progression was different back then and after just a few jumps Tommy was on his own. He would go up to 7,500, jump out and he said it was always sky, earth, sky, earth, sky, earth, pull. After going through this a few times he decided to ask someone for help. Since there wasn’t wind tunnel in the area he went to his instructor. By this time Bill was a true skygod with over 20 jumps. Tommy told Bill about the sky, earth thing and asked what he was doing wrong. Bill looked at him with a straight face and said, “I don’t know but as soon as I figure it out I will let you know”. True story, times have change a bit. Some good and some not so good.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

That could be worst. At least according that picture, the airplane seems able to be flown. I have heard a case where the side of the door and the tail were ripped off making the aircraft not able to fly anymore. Could be with a Pilatus Porter diving after the last jumper out (in Germany some years ago) when the accompanying passenger wearing a student parachute got his reserve AAD deployed and pilot chute going thru the open door. The result was a crash killing pilot and passenger. See older Skydiving Magazines.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

There was one in Austrailia a while back, reserve prematured after bumping the pin on the door frame. Tore the entire tail section off the Caravan.

Pilot managed to keep control (sort of) and everyone including the pilot and observer got out ok. Jumper who prematured got killed by the tail.

There's a video of it (reporter talks to the pilot, observer and a couple of the jumpers a few years after it happened) on here somewhere. The video by a camera flyer of the plane going down is both incredible and chilling.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

There was one in Austrailia a while back, reserve prematured after bumping the pin on the door frame. Tore the entire tail section off the Caravan.

Pilot managed to keep control (sort of) and everyone including the pilot and observer got out ok. Jumper who prematured got killed by the tail.

There's a video of it (reporter talks to the pilot, observer and a couple of the jumpers a few years after it happened) on here somewhere. The video by a camera flyer of the plane going down is both incredible and chilling.

Here is this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCyt-sIMym0&fmt=18

Accident report: http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2001/aair/pdf/aair200101903_001.pdf 

:(

I remember that picture from a book i bought, if i remember correctly I saw another picture of a whole airframe coming down by a canopy of a skydiver :S

I guess that would be the skies call books. I have them all. Good books with some great pictures!
www.facebook.com/FlintHillsRigging

Pilot is Barry Dawson, he's a bit of a legend:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

I saw the video and read up on that incident sometime back. It's an amazing story and the fact that he survived is incredible. Talk about the will to live. He never stopped fighting.
I will be kissing hands and shaking babies all afternoon. Thanks for all your support! *bows*

SCS #8251

A while back someone was asking for the picture of the photo of the aftermath of a premature opening in the door.

The article in the December 1967 Parachutist:
http://www.skydivestlouisarea.com/instruction/C206_torndoor.jpg

Someone recently gave me some Parachutist magazines from the 60's and 70's, which I had not seen yet.

The old days when sex was safe and skydiving was dangerous. Wow... a jumpmaster with 50 jumps. I mean sure, it was the 60's when the sport was still relatively new for fun jumpers, but as far as I'm concerned, I'm glad I started when I did. :o

And experienced with the aircraft and students at 50 jumps :-).

On Bill Booth's first jump his jump master had just learned the previous week (or close to it).

Here is this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCyt-sIMym0&fmt=18

Accident report: http://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2001/aair/pdf/aair200101903_001.pdf 

:(

:o

Pilot is Barry Dawson, he's a bit of a legend:)

That's interesting. I jumped once with a Barry Dawson in the UK - he was a visiting Aussie. As I remember he had a girlfriend with him (Gail?) - must have been some time back in the 90s, I think.

I wonder if it's the same guy.