RALFFERS

Drinking & Driving

For whatever reasin I just woke up & had this random thought cross my mind: what is the legal level for intoxication while driving in your state/country? -I'm curious. It's 0.08 here in Illinois.

I was once told that in Texas, you used to be able to drink WHILE driving, & as long as you weren't visibly drunk it was OK... However, I have a hard time believing such was ever the case... :S
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

There is no limit if you don't get caught!!

tell that to all the friends and families of the victims of drunk drivers
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

0.2 in Norway and many other european countries. It used to be 0.5 here, and there was a lot of people complaining about it when the limit was lowered.

Isn't 0.08 very low? how do they accurately measure that?

And what's the point of that anyway, 0.2 usually means that you can't drink anything and then drive, and should be low enough, IMO. Sober is sober.
Relax, you can die if you mess up, but it will probably not be by bullet.

I'm a BIG, TOUGH BIGWAY FORMATION SKYDIVER! What are you?

0.2 in Norway and many other european countries. It used to be 0.5 here, and there was a lot of people complaining about it when the limit was lowered.

And what's the point of that anyway, 0.2 usually means that you can't drink anything and then drive, and should be low enough, IMO. Sober is sober.

i would hazzard a guess and say it's a different mearusing system.
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

i would hazzard a guess and say it's a different mearusing system.

it's is measured per cent in the US and der thousands in the US. I am not sure if everybody measures volume or weight ratios.

Germany 0.5 if they haven't changed it while i am here and you can drink a beer and drive.

Franco
If it does not cost anything you are the product.

I would bet that the .08% was the correct number.

They say the average person's BAC is about .1 after one beer.

So, they lowered the limit below one beer.
I don't drink and drive. If I have A beer I wait at least an hour before driving.

At a very minimum, it's just not worth my career to drive drunk.

The obvious worst case is death of someone else.
My photos

My Videos

Here, it's 0.08 but you can be convicted of DUI with less, if the officer testifies that you were swerving, had slurred speech or other signs of intoxication. [:/] For me, it doesn't matter. Since I hold a CDL license, I'm only allowed half of the legal limit...I can't legally come within' 50 feet of a cough drop and still drive.

"T'was ever thus."

I don't drink and drive. If I have A beer I wait at least an hour before driving.

I couldn't agree with you more... I don't drink & drive for the same reasons; having a DUI on my record means losing my insurance license & thus being out of a job. Not to mention the obvious of hurting and/or killing someone else.

0.08 BAC is the norm across the US. However, some states have a lower limit if the offender is under 21 (like 0.02).
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

The norm used to be 0.10, now it's 0.08. Political thing, mostly. Most drunk driving accidents happen due to people who are WELL OVER 0.10, so lowering it to 0.08 made no difference in terms of making our roads safer. Just rakes in more of the social drinkers & ties up police & courts' resources, but has no practical benefit.
Speed Racer
--------------------------------------------------

For whatever reasin I just woke up & had this random thought cross my mind: what is the legal level for intoxication while driving in your state/country?

Tried the Internet?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blood_alcohol_content#Limits_by_country_.28BAC:_Blood_Alcohol_Content.29
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The norm used to be 0.10, now it's 0.08. Political thing, mostly. Most drunk driving accidents happen due to people who are WELL OVER 0.10, so lowering it to 0.08 made no difference in terms of making our roads safer. Just rakes in more of the social drinkers & ties up police & courts' resources, but has no practical benefit.

I'm not sure relying on BAC to determine intoxication level has practical benefits. I've known many people who were well over the legal limit (presumably, considering how much they drank in what timeframe) who would be considered completely sober by anyone who had not seen them drink. By the same token, I've seen people who would not be over the legal limit, but were near falling down drunk. To me, that indicates the legal limit is arbitrary, which has the unintended consequence of encouraging people to simply "not get caught."

I'm not condoning drunk driving. However, I would like to see a system that punishes driving while actually intoxicated, and not just driving with a blood alcohol level exceeding some arbitrary line.
Math tutoring available. Only $6! per hour! First lesson: Factorials!

I won't dispute that. Most "traffic" type laws are about money over safety.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

The Blood Alcohol Percentage (BAC) in Florida is .08.

For comparison, around .40, is the onset of coma and half of the people die.

The level used to be .1 in Florida, which seemed reasonable to me.

How about this,, pretty much if a cop says your drunk or your being arested for DUI.. you screwed.. Yea You might beat the charges in court, but,, The DMV still sees you got aressted for a DUI, and you gotta jump through their hoops..

Object is don't get caught.

I rarely drink and drive. I usually pull over to find the bottle I have stashed behind a tree on the way to work or home or wherever.

Huh?? :S Run that by me again... :|