jacketsdb23

Driving Maneuver - Legal or not?

Legal? I don't know. Maybe.

But as for playing nice with others on the road, you're sorta not. And for you to take all this time to ask the question at all, sketch it up, convert to PDF and all that tells me you know it too.

For one, obviously you're doggin the good hearted folks (sheep?) taking their turn in the real right turn lane. Your sketch leaves it vague as to whether you and the real righties end up with their own lanes or if on top of cutting them, now you have to merge with them.

But you're also doggin the people behind you who'd like to go straight without having to wait for you to slow all the way down to make that right turn that's obviously not traffic-engineered to be a right turn.

So, if bending the rules three times in one turn at the expense of others on the road's fine with you as long as you can't get a ticket for it, then I guess you're good to go.
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts

But there are no arrows on the road. They may be coming soon as the whole area is kinda under construction, but for now I don't see why its illegal to turn right. We do it legally at almost every other intersection. I don't think the exclusive right hand turn lane which merges with the cross street automatically makes a right hand turn illegal.

I'm not convinced its illegal.

I'll be ya a coke if you read the traffic ordinances it will say that if a turn lane is provided you must make any turns from that lane.
SmugMug

I don't know whether it's legal or not, but why is the wait so long in this right turn lane? Chances are, it's because once the light turns green, the people in the turn lane don't know how to push the pedal on the right side to go.

It sounds to me like the OP doesn't feel like waiting on them to decide what they want to do once the light turns green, so he improvises since he has places to go and things to do rather than lolligag around on the highway all day.>:(>:(

Damn I've got serious road rage!!

how bout you call the local police, inform them of your intended actions and time of execution, then the officer will issue you a ticket, and then you will go to court to figure it out with the judge. ;)

Oh, and people do that shit in Atlanta all the time. Might not be "illegal" but sure as hell aint safe b/c it's not in the expected actions list of other drivers. i make them confuse cuz u differnt.

DAMN ATL TRAFFIC!!!! >:(>:( If I can wait to make a turn so can everyone else. I tend to ignore those who try to make a last minute turn into lane. Roads are marked for a reason, try to follow them! :)
*** EDIT - not directed at you HIPPIE... just having road rage! :o:)

Muff Brother # 3883, SCR # 14796 ICD # 1 - Pres.
Yeah, I noticed and I think it's funny!

Or by today's standards, you are atleast sure to be tased for shouting at the cop, lol.
...it's not the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until it's gone...it's the fact that you don't appreciate what you have until someone appreciates it for you!

Do you think a semi-truck could make the turn you did without hitting a car, curb, or other. The radius around the triangle striping/bike lane probably does not provide enough room for this turning movement. I would say it is illegal. Why not look for solutions. Draw the entire intersection and see if you can come up with better right turn movements. As you said before the city knows there is a problem i.e. the police enforcement.

edit: From the aerial photo it looks like the right turn should not have to stop it should only need a yeild. It has it's own lane on Rt. 29 and only need enough distance to speed up and merge. Not knowing the design speeds of the two roads it is hard to say if adding distance to the merging lane would help. I do not understand why the right turn lane has a signal and have to stop.
A man without a mustache is like a hamburger without a bun, Un-American.

They've done some work in the area and its now a four lane road with the additional right hand turn/merge lane. General idea remains the same as the aerial photo you posted.

On my way to work this morning I noticed something....fresh paint :( Sadly the lane I've been turning from now has a straight arrow on it. [:/]

Now its time to ticket the people who cut in the turn lane at the last minute. >:(

Losers make excuses, Winners make it happen
God is Good
Beer is Great
Swoopers are crazy.

On my way to work this morning I noticed something....fresh paint :( Sadly the lane I've been turning from now has a straight arrow on it. [:/]

Now its time to ticket the people who cut in the turn lane at the last minute. >:(

Ahh, so now that you have to use the turn lane, now that you can't try to beat the system for your own personal benefit, NOW you're all pissed off at the people who are... well, trying to beat the system for their own personal benefit?

Elvisio "shoe = other foot?" Rodriguez

The problem is that someone making a proper right turn from the real right turn lane, might change lanes to the left going around the corner, because there isn't supposed to be anyone else there. But that's where YOU are, because you circumvented the system, and put yourself in a lane where people don't expect you. So legal or not, it's going to cause problems. The city should put up signs making it clear what is legal at that intersection.

right hand turn only lane has a light as well. A lot of cars don't stop and run the red arrow light backing up traffic on the cross st. (Rt. 29).

Re-reading post #24 you state that the right turn lane has it's own signal and that it is an arrow rather than solid. This would indicate that the right turn lane has a protected right turn. Therefore if you make the turn as described you would be violating the signal and they would no longer be protected. This is probably the best reason for it being illegal.

I do this daily in Austin. On HWY 290 headed to 35 S there is always a line about 2 miles back leading to the right turn only lane. I simply stay in the middle lane all the way up to the light, get in the lane next to the turn only lane and turn right. I do this because i dont feel like sitting in 35-45 minutes of traffic when i could just go cut. I commute an hour and a half to work, and the same back. I dont have time to sit in a line, break the law, just dont get caught and dont hurt anyone.

I will say though, people get quite pissed when i do this. I had a guy get out of the turning lane only to follow me and cut me off and stopped his car. As i began to get out he saw me in his rear view and burned off. Dude was tiny and me being 6'4" 220 i think he knew what he was in for.

Its not legal to speed, but we all do... just dont get caught.

I will say though, people get quite pissed when i do this. I had a guy get out of the turning lane only to follow me and cut me off and stopped his car. As i began to get out he saw me in his rear view and burned off. Dude was tiny and me being 6'4" 220 i think he knew what he was in for.

You're a known suspect now and they know your car. I'd be aware that that 'little guy' (or even someone else) may carry a gun next time. Road rage does exist and 'taking cuts' is a very personal affront.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Overall.... legal or not, it's NOT courteous. Why would you assume that you are more important than the others in the line? Why should THEY have to wait... but you don't need to be inconvienced. Sometimes there are good reasons to break the laws, to act "superior" - emergencies such as your wife in labor or your dad dying in the hospital or maybe your on an EOD team and need to get to the bomb before the city blows up.... but otherwise. Play nice.

Driving is NOT a right. You don't DESERVE to get home before anyone else.

Taking 290 towards 35 south. at around 6 that light turns into a parking lot. I own a glass repair business and I have locations all across the state. Right now the store i am working is in austin. I dont really mind the drive considering it is south austin so i dont hit much traffic once on the highway, and getting certain places in SA can take as long as driving to and from austin.

And yes, i have considered that he may have a gun, but when you almost plow into some jackass because he wants to stop the car, you have a choice to make. Wait for him to get out with his gun and try to shoot you, or be first out of the car and in an upper hand position. I promise he would have a harder time shooting me from inside his car with me kicking the door closed on him, than i would had he had a gun, got out and pointed right at me.

Shit happens, im not too worried about it.

A simple rule of thumb with traffic law is to simply not drive like a self important asshole. You're not more important then anyone else on the road, everyone needs to remember that.

Nicely stated:

His move ranks right up with these other moves:

1 - Driving solo in carpool lanes
2 - Those guys that make the left turn even after their turn light goes red
3 - Those last three drivers that run straight through the red light at the end of the cycle (every single time)
4 - People that drive on the shoulders when the traffic is slow
5 - motorcyclists that weave in and out of lanes and drive on the white stripes during congestion
6 - pedestrians that just walk out in the crosswalk without looking
7 - It's almost EXACTLY the same level of crap as the guys that drive right up to the corner and then cut in front of the turn line
8 - any move done by those guys that ferry cars around for car dealerships
9 - someone that lights up cigaratte in the baby room of a day care center

IMHO - I don't see a polling choice that indicates self important discourteous road ettiquette so I have to pass on the vote

Edit: road "rage" is a crappy term - it's childish "tantrums". "rage" normally has an element of righteousness to it - nothing is righteous in the way people act on the road

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Assuming the west 209 to north 1-35S right turning movement. It would seem that TxDOT did not take into account AM peak right turning movements if there is a lot of back up as you describe. This intersection was recently reconstructed and TxDOT should have may adequate capacity for AM peak right turning movements.

Still and illegal maneuver.

5 - motorcyclists that weave in and out of lanes and drive on the white stripes during congestion
6 - pedestrians that just walk out in the crosswalk without looking

Had to sit through traffic school (more than a few times) and although we don't like it these two are actually legal. The first one, motorcyclists -can- drive between cars if the traffic is going less than 40mph and the posted maximum speed is greater than that. The second one, it's ALWAYS the driver's fault if there is a collision with a pedestrian, even if they're jaywalking. :S Doesn't matter if the pedestrian is an idiot or not. [:/]

Both irk me, but that's the law.

ltdiver

And yes, i have considered that he may have a gun, but when you almost plow into some jackass because he wants to stop the car, you have a choice to make. Wait for him to get out with his gun and try to shoot you, or be first out of the car and in an upper hand position.

Maybe they're more bold where you come from, but around LA (Los Angeles) they hit you with bullets -from their car- as you drive by. :( And most of the time they are never caught. >:(

ltdiver

And yes, i have considered that he may have a gun, but when you almost plow into some jackass because he wants to stop the car, you have a choice to make. Wait for him to get out with his gun and try to shoot you, or be first out of the car and in an upper hand position. I promise he would have a harder time shooting me from inside his car with me kicking the door closed on him, than i would had he had a gun, got out and pointed right at me.

Shit happens, im not too worried about it.

Oh but there was a case several years ago in Alabama involving two women in a road rage incident on the highway. They pulled off at an exit and stopped. The woman that was being tailgated got out of her car to go scream at the woman behind her who stayed inside the car, but rolled the window down and shot her in the face point-blank. She's in prison now for murder, forgot how long, but she has a husband and two kids if I recall correctly.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Marcel

I have a solution!!!

DUDE leave your girlfriend alone in the morning and use the extra 2 min to get organized and leave 20 min earlier :P

(hope I don't have to wait till LP to see you guys again)

Drink some Lange for me this weekend (I'll be racing at Sears Point / Infineion)

John Fosgate
"In the end, its always best to choose the hard right over the easy wrong." LouDiamond
MB 4310
www.N3Racing.com