jacketsdb23

Driving Maneuver - Legal or not?

The first one, motorcyclists -can- drive between cars if the traffic is going less than 40mph and the posted maximum speed is greater than that.

Only in 2 states in the US.

The second one, it's ALWAYS the driver's fault if there is a collision with a pedestrian, even if they're jaywalking.

Sorry but you're wrong on this one, atleast in TX.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

The first one, motorcyclists -can- drive between cars if the traffic is going less than 40mph and the posted maximum speed is greater than that.

The second one, it's ALWAYS the driver's fault if there is a collision with a pedestrian, even if they're jaywalking.

Sorry but you're wrong on this one, atleast in TX.

Okay, I should have put CA law. :S

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

<<5 - motorcyclists that weave in and out of lanes and drive on the white stripes during congestion>>

What's wrong with that? Sensible lane splitting does not cost anyone else anything.

What's wrong with me overtaking you safely whenever I can. That's the great thing about having a norrower vehicle.

If the problem is that it just upsets car drivers, then get over it or get a bike.

(.)Y(.)
Chivalry is not dead; it only sleeps for want of work to do. - Jerome K Jerome

It's mostly fine in the U.K - provided that you are riding with due care and attention i.e not like a dick.

It's only legal in 2? - That's crazy Dave.

What about pedal bikes... do they have to it in a traffic queue too?

(.)Y(.)

Sure do, bikes are to follow the same rules as cars. I was ticketed once for running a stop sign on a bike. I was like 17 or 18 at the time and I went off on the cop. That probably didn't help my case any.
~El Josh AKA Ruby
DS #149
Yes I only have 3 jumps...it's the magic number dude.

Technically yes, but I don't see that enforced too much. Then again, the major streets in my town are all 40mph and 5 lanes wide (center turn lane), so good frigg'n luck lane splitting on a bicycle and not being killed by some asshole on his/her cellphone.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

No Shit!!!
Riding through traffic on a pedal bike is way more nerve racking than skydiving. I've almost been taken out by some ass hat on their celly or better yet trying to fucking text and drive. Please remove your head from ass before getting in the car!
~El Josh AKA Ruby
DS #149
Yes I only have 3 jumps...it's the magic number dude.

Hi jackets,

We have that very same thing just up the street from where I live ( except there is an island to go around ). I do it a lot if the (R) turn lane is loaded up.

So far, so good. :ph34r: I live in Oregon and I believe it to be legal. Fortunately, my son is an attorney so I keep him in reserve.

JerryBaumchen

<<5 - motorcyclists that weave in and out of lanes and drive on the white stripes during congestion>>

What's wrong with that? Sensible lane splitting does not cost anyone else anything.

I consider a motorcycle an equivalent road vehicle to a car or truck and follow the same rules when driving them all. And deserving the same room and respect.

So I guess it's ok as long as you think it's ok for a car to pass a motorcycle but only get over a half lane or less. I mean the bikes narrow and as long as the side mirror on the car clears my glove by a couple inches it must be fine.

What about when the bike is going, say 80 in a 65, and just stays on the white stripe and barrels along?

Maybe your key word is "sensible". I don't see much of that with the examples of 'stripers' around here at all.

Of course, the OP thinks his little manuver doesn't cost anybody anything either......

You were ok with my other analogies though?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Cars do overtake slow bikes and dont often give a lot of room for the manouver - but that's not filtering it's inconsiderate overtaking (works both ways).

Filtering at 80 in a 65 would not be Sensible to my mind so would be unaceptable.

<>

I guess it's may be an age and experience thing. but I filter when I think that it's safe to do so (for me and others). My heads is constantly on a swivel (as under canopy) and looking for signs of problems. I don't filter with larger differential speeds.

It could also be cultural. Filtering is standard practice over here and car drivers will often pull over and make room for bikes (if they see them).

Yes there are idiot biker riders (and car drivers). Most motorcyclists realise that they would come of 2nd in an accident.

I'm O.K with your analogies whre they fit (cars are unlikely to be able to filter through traffic).

(.)Y(.)

Coincidentally enough I watched the following just this past Friday morning. In southern California. White pickup truck made a turn very similar to the one the OP described, and a CHP bike came out of nowhere, hauled ass to catch up then pulled him over.

Not sure if that answers the question, but being one of the cars in the long "green" line, I was somewhat pleased.
Ohne Liebe sind wir nichts