skip

What should I use to trim cut away cable?

Why would you want to cut it?

Some manufactures, such as Mirage, make a standard length cutaway cables and the instructions say to (I don't have the instructions so this may not be correct) cut the cable at the point it is 3" into the hard housing and then use a lighter to melt and pull the yellow material over the exposed cable.

9" Kliens will cut this cable as will many other small hand tools. Ask the local hardware store what they have that will cut the cable cleanly.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside,
if we falter and lose our freedoms,
it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
Abraham Lincoln

If you're cutting it yourself, put it in the rig and put it on. Flex the housings then let them relax. Make a mark 6 inches above the exit point of the cable housing. If you have an RSL, I suggest 6 1/2 for the RSL side, and 5 1/2 for the non-RSL side.

Cut at the mark

Before you melt the free end, practice on the scrap pieces. hold the flame downward and put the end of the scrap piece into the bottom of the flames arc. If it's put into the top, it gets sooty. Heat only the very very tip, then carefully and quickly slide your fingers up and off. It takes practice to get it right but it's also fairly simple.

Chances are, you'll create a little pointy end so take some ultra fine sand paper or similar, and nick the point of the Lolon off. (Lolon equals the yellow coating)

Hope that helps
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

then carefully and quickly slide your fingers up and off

I have found that wearing gloves (gardening or riding leather style are best) really helps with the reduction of pain B|

Much easier to do a good job of pulling the softened coating up over the tip if you don't have to keep pulling your fingers away due to molten bits sticking to your fingers.
I like my canopy...

...it lets me down.

Hi Neil,

Try Para-Gear (1-800-323-0437) as they have Item # M6945 at $65.00. It appears to be the same thing that I use; I think mine was made in Sweden or something like that and mine is fantastic.

I consider Para-Gear & DJ Associates the absolute best as far as companies that I have dealt with. Any jumper who wants to do what you are wanting to do should have a catalog from both of them. However, DJ's catalog is rather poor; you have to know how to find what you want. Both have websites.

I have a new handle to install and am unsure what to cut the cable with?

Thanks

neilp

I would suggest, FWIW, either call the manufacturer of your harness-container for their recommendations or, get your rig to a rigger and let them do it. I've seen too many cables cut to in-correct lengths.

Chuck

I would suggest, FWIW, either call the manufacturer of your harness-container for their recommendations or, get your rig to a rigger and let them do it. I've seen too many cables cut to in-correct lengths.

No more calls, we have a winner!

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

No more calls, we have a winner!

Sparky

Thanks, Sparky. Just seems like the 'common sense' approach to the subject. I guess, you've also, seen some 'chop jobs'!?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

The craziest 'chop job' that I ever saw was sometime in the late '80's. About 5-6 yrs earlier I had built this rig for this young jumper (maybe 100 jumps or so). Soon after he got married and quit jumping. Then about the 5-6 yrs later his wife funds the $$$ for him to go jumping.

After he comes down from about his 3rd jump that day he calls me over to see if 'this' was right. Someone (we never did find out who or under what circumstances) had taken a pair of sidecutters (at least the evidence looked like sidecutters had been used) and had cut one of his 3-rings cables about 1/2 inch from the loop. This thing was ready to release with just a slight bump/stretch/whatever.

I grabbed the rig, took it home and built him a new release handle. He quit jumping.

IMO, people do not need to be riggers but they do need/should know how to and inspect their gear before they go jumping.

Good lord! I've had several folks wanting me to trim their cables so that both risers would release at the same exact time. I refused and explained 'why not'. I've seen where folks took it upon themselves to 'trim' their cables and with each opening, complain about the cables coming out of the channels. I have never, seen anything like you described!

Chuck

I suppose that even if no RSL is installed now, it would be bad that some future owner might put one back on without noticing, but that is really it I think, simultaneous release is better in every way except for when an RSL is there.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

I've had several folks wanting me to trim their cables so that both risers would release at the same exact time. I refused and explained 'why not'.

Why not?

In those situations, the harness-containers were set-up with RSLs that were hook-ed-up. It has been explained to me that when an RSL is a part of the system, you wouldn't want the 'non' RSL side to release after the RSL side. An entanglement with the deploying reserve could result. Make sense?
edit to add: I can't see where a harness container system without an RSL would have a problem with both risers releasing equally, at the same instant.

Chuck

Thanks for the advice everyone. I have the instructions here that came with the handle from Sun Path, and also my old handle so I have some guidance as far as the length. I was just unsure about the actual cutting tool. I could have taken it to my rigger and he would have gladly hooked me up – however I like taking care of my rig and wouldn’t mind rigging myself someday. I’ve got it all installed, it looks good, few practice cut-aways and I am happy with the work.

Ill have my rigger look over it tomorrow just as a precaution.

Thanks again.