labrys

Appliance Repair / Motor Question

Any dryer repair or motor experts out there?

My dryer drum stopped turning a few days ago. I think the problem is with the motor because the belt and all of the pulleys and wheels look fine. If I take the drum out and turn the motor shaft by hand a couple of times the motor starts and runs fine for a few times, then stops, then I have to turn the shaft by hand again to get it to run again.

Before I go about either replacing the motor or having some one else replace it I'd like to know if I can clean and/or lubricate the motor at all. Its all gunked up with lint and dirt and I was kind of hoping it might just need to be cleaned. If it can be cleaned, is it possible to do that without removing it?

Thanks all!
Owned by Remi #?

I'm reasonably sure it can be cleaned, but I don't think it can be done in place. I can recall my Dad cleaning the dryer motor when I was young.

You might want to call around to some service companies and see what they have to say about it - more modern dryers may NOT be able to be serviced like that.
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

You might try using a vacuum to suck out the lint. It does not sound like a lubrication issue, but sounds like the brushes are not making contact all around. Maybe sucking out the dust/lint will help.

Most electric motors are not intended to be serviced in any way by the consumer.

Good luck.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

sounds like the run capacitor to me - but some motors don't have capacitors and if it does without a meter you can't tell if it is bad unless it is swollen.

A run capacitor is problably about $7 at a A/C or heating supply house.

The capacitor will be either round or oval with electrical connections on the end more than likely with brown wires going to it.

It will probably be gray plastic if round or shiny metal if oval.

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Most electric motors are not intended to be serviced in any way by the consumer.

Thanks for the thought. I was tempted to say "It's okay, I'm not going to eat the motor..."

I'm pretty handy with most electrical and mechanical things. I'm just not very familiar with electric motors beyond an understanding of how they work though.

Anyway. I don't think I can vacuum it out. the lint is pretty gummy and greasy. The dryer is probably 10 years old and has never been serviced. It's looking like I'll have to take the motor out and take it apart to clean it.
Owned by Remi #?

sounds like the run capacitor to me

Thanks. Could you be a little more specific about why you think it's the run capacitor (is that the same as a start capacitor?). I figured that wasn't the problem because the motor starts and runs ok when I turn the motor shaft a few times to "unstick" it.
Owned by Remi #?

I think he is talking about the capacitor on the side, that gives an extra boost to the 110V to start the motor at first. Its mounted on the top/side of the motor. They are cheap.

Get us a model # Volts# RPM# and let us know. Should be able to find one on the net easy.

Should be 2 hex screws, 3 wires to disconnect and connect and thats it. Very simple.

Edited for pictures. Pictures show the capacitor he is talking about. Its the small oval/round things mounted onto the motors
http://sexygirlabs.com/url]

Dude,please realize that some caps can retain a lethal charge even with the power off, they have to be shorted to ground before you can safely work on them. If you don't know exactly what your doing, you're playing with fire. Keep one hand in your back pocket at all times.

blues

jerry

At this point is it worth fixing? For about $300 you get a good quality dryer. Do you give up $50 to $100 and a Saturday to fix it and still have a 10 year old machine. Here's a best buy machine from Consumer reports. 10 Whirlpool LEQ8000J[Q] CR Best Buy You can get it under $300.

There is not too much to a dryer. It really is a pretty simple machine. Here is a link that might help http://www.bobvila.com/FixItClub/Subject/Appliances/Clothes_Dryer/FIG_Motor.html

Good luck either way.

B

The only time you should look down on someone is when you are offering them your hand.

Dude,please realize that some caps can retain a lethal charge even with the power off

maybe if you attached it directly to your aorta -- its a run capacitor not a DC Bus out of a VFD.

The run cap simulates 3 phase power to allow the motor to start and run with out overamping - by you saying that you have to spin it to start the motor and than it runs is what leads me to believe it is the run capacitor. The motor more than likely is to small to have a start capacitor and if it needed one you need a new motor.

Warning don't lick a charged capacitor it will shock the fuck out of your tongue but it won't kill you.

The pimp hand is powdered up ... say something stupid

Could be one of two things

Starting capacitor is shot - (the starting cap gives the motor an extra shot of juice at initial start-up to overcome high initial torque). Cure - replace the cap.

Or - If the motor has two sets of windings, the starting windings are burned up or the switch that controls the two sets of windings is bad. Cure - Replace the motor.

If you're reasonably handy with a set of tools, either job should be fairly easy. Good way to spend an afternoon and you'll feel a good sense of accomplishment afterward. And feel good about not sending the whole thing to the landfill, just the motor. Or do as I do, drop the old motor off where you purcahse the new one and they'll recycle it.

Easy Does It

Back in the day;) We used to work in a mom & pop motor rewind shop.

With the new world economy these shops might be gone, but check your yellow pages, some of these old farts might still exist.

If they do a quickie on their test bench with a pair of alligator clips will tell you if the motor needs a redo.
Doubt if they would just replace the just the capacitor.probably just do a swap.

R.I.P.

Also bare in mind that some dryer drums just rotate on a couple of carbon skids up front while sandwiched between "felt" glides or seals on either end against the housing, not on lifetime ballbearings or even simple bushings . As these wear over time that little old motor is pushing worn out junk. If these items are worn looking into a new machine would be smart.

You guys are f*cking awesome... I'm never calling a repair man again!

Blues,

Most people never do now a days. They just replace it cheaply. Walmart has stuff built just for them that is so cheap and junky you just toss it and its not worth getting a repair man, or it is impossible since walmart put them out of business.

Sears is another story in that they have their own repairman on the payroll who gets tortured everyday trying to repair cheap junk commisioned by his very same company.

Yep... you guys are awesome. I'll remove the motor, take a whack at cleaning it, and I'll check that cap. also.

I'm not a big fan of throwing anything away just because I could save a little time by throwing money at the problem. I'll gloat for days if I can get it fixed myself.

And FWIW, I'm an old Navy ET. That itty-bitty starter cap doesn't scare me much. I've spot-welded a few hand tools to radar chassis on the road to learning to respect electrons. I've just never tried to repair a dryer before so I appreciate the advise!

Thanks again.
Owned by Remi #?

If you enjoy fixing things, have at it.

However, if your goal is to save money, you're probably going to be disapointed.
Replacement parts are costly enough that you're most likely better off buying a new one.

I recently fixed my mom's dryer, but it cost me a over a days labor and $200 in way over priced parts.
A new heat element, some cheesy plastic slide "bearings", and a spindle/washer thingy that should have cost about 25 cents.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

Some of us would like to thank you for your efforts in reducing waste on the planet.
We should not be a disposable society.
Anything made by a man can be fixed by a man.
and for that matter....
Anything made by man, given time and usage, will fail.
Personally...I'd replace the motor.;)

The real question is why are you posting on a thread that was started 4 years ago?

Umm... because I started the thread and I wanted to follow up.

Four years isn't a lot of time for us old folks. Your mileage may vary if that's a significant percentage of your life span ;)
Owned by Remi #?

Wow.. Glad it worked. Care to let us know what you replaced?

I replaced the entire motor, which was only about $40.00 with a little effort on eBay. The shaft that connects the motor to the exhaust fan was rusted and I couldn't remove it so I had to saw it off and replace that too. While I was at it I replaced the door gasket. One perfectly functional dryer resulted. A few feet of landfill avoided. I'd call it a good deal.
Owned by Remi #?

If you enjoy fixing things, have at it.

However, if your goal is to save money, you're probably going to be disapointed.

-Josh

not necessarily correct, my 1983 washing machine was leaking water, replaced the pump for $22, that was 2 years ago, still working fine
Give one city to the thugs so they can all live together. I vote for Chicago where they have strict gun laws.