Squeak

Another suit

How the fuck did her husband "suffer a loss of love"??? :S
Fucking ambulance chasers in this country!!!
What's the point of a waiver if it is simply ignored???
Sounds like she exited the aircraft incorrectly seeing she broke her leg and all. Poor thing.
If the pilot didn't use the "highest degree of care", maybe she would have ended up like the others.
Karl's right...makes me sick.

*sigh* when stepping into the aircraft, I ttake all known risks. the possibility of pilot error being one of those.

Reasons like this, I have instructed my family that if something is to happen to me, while out skydiving, they are NOT to sue. period!.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

*sigh* when stepping into the aircraft, I ttake all known risks. the possibility of pilot error being one of those.

Reasons like this, I have instructed my family that if something is to happen to me, while out skydiving, they are NOT to sue. period!.

Every time I see comments like this I just have to wonder how far up that slippery slope you're willing to travel...

-ever visited a DZ other than your own? Would make it a bit difficult to assess the up-keep of the aircraft and the skill of the pilot immediately, wouldn't it?

I don't know anything whatsoever about this particular accident, accept that I'm sorry to hear about it. [:/] And I am NOT referring to any accident in particular at all -I'm just talking hypothetical situations that it seems nobody will admit to the possibility existing:

Were you to end up in a plane crash and can't get out...the guy next to you dies and you have to live with that horror for the rest of your life...and you find out that the DZO didn't properly maintain the aircraft due to expense, and forged the maintenance logs and reserve logs, which contributed to that accident...and the pilot had a BAL of .19 at the time of the accident, well I guess I'd just wonder if you'd still hold that view.

-Would you still keep your mouth shut and risk watching another friend die in a similar accident? [:/]

I'm not saying to get rich off of a risky sport. I am saying that I keep seeing the attitude that there should be nobody held accountable in any case; and that I just personally disagree with.

As a matter of fact, if THAT was the case, I'd be opening my own DZ tomorrow and flying the plane myself. I can fly a plane, and I can find an open spot to push people out. If that's all the worry I ever need put into it...:|
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

This system of yours never ceases to amaze me as a non American.
Thankfully we have a complete different legal system here in Sweden where I live.
Okay, if someone messes you up really bad you will only get a tiny settlement, (that barely cover loss of income during the recovery period), from the court but in the end of the day I prefer our system.
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Every time I see comments like this I just have to wonder how far up that slippery slope you're willing to travel...

And every time I see comments like yours, its people like you and your slippery slope that I worry about.

Cant take the risk and man up to the chances you take, quit jumping, and get out of the sport.
Remster

Her lame ass husband must be upset that he might need to be a care giver for a few weeks and help his money grabbing wife out with the house hold day to days.

The poor girl was in a very terrifying incident that could have ended her life, I would not wish that on anyone (well maybe one or two ;)) she should be happy to have her life .... not sure what all these levels of compensation will bring her.

This is the reality of the sport, people, friends, family loves, DIE and they DIE on a regular basis and if you cannot deal with the entire process of this sport, from gear, aircraft, fellow jumpers, your own stupidity, then buy a set of gold clubs.

In the words of my late AFF Inst and Mentor

"You are never to good not to die in this sport" - Tonto

And every time I see comments like yours, its people like you and your slippery slope that I worry about.

Cant take the risk and man up to the chances you take, quit jumping, and get out of the sport.

I did just that.

I know, I know. Doesn't make any sense to insist on responsibility in a sport like skydiving. :S That's why the incident forum threads are empty.

Edit to add: A quick search and this is the closest example I could come up with Remster: your statement about Airtec.

It seemed to me that you're implying that the gear company should be responsible for its product.

I agree. That's the only point I was trying to make...

Had you never brought that up with Airtec (or whomever was disagreeing with their statement) would anything change? If multiple people expressed to a gear manufacturer that there was a known defect -or a maintenance issue on an aircraft- or procedural dangers to a DZO- but the company/owner did nothing, are you still going to do nothing to try to change that, and tell your buddy's widow that it's a good thing he 'manned up to the chances he was taking' instead of forcing a necessary change?

That's over the top. It'll probably never happen like that. But if legal action was the only way to force a recall of a dangerous product and save some other kid from choking on a baby teether that was poorly constructed and fell apart in the child's mouth, then I'm not afraid of it.

And just FYI...'no', I've never seen any situation that I thought was even remotely close to deserving of a lawsuit in skydiving. But saying that it COULDN'T happen is inviting irresponsibilty.

I wouldn't be responding back but I forgot my flame-proof suit and I felt the need to defend my statement. :D

I gotta run so you have fun tearing that apart. :ph34r:
~Jaye
Do not believe that possibly you can escape the reward of your action.

How the fuck did her husband "suffer a loss of love"??? :S
Fucking ambulance chasers in this country!!!
What's the point of a waiver if it is simply ignored???
Sounds like she exited the aircraft incorrectly seeing she broke her leg and all. Poor thing.
If the pilot didn't use the "highest degree of care", maybe she would have ended up like the others.
Karl's right...makes me sick.

I agree 200%, very well said... Some people have no morals.... I hope FFE is fully aware of the support and love they have from others jumpers here in the time of their loss, even from those who never had the opportunity to know Marnie or jennifer. And as far as that scum sucker goes that started this lawsuit, Karma is a bitch!!!!>:(

I really think this falls more under you will never know what you would do unless you are in their shoes.
I know most of us have this high ideal that we would never ever consider the idea of sueing if something happened. However: when you loss your job due to the massive amount of time it may take to recover, the mounting medical bills that can quickly add up to hundred thousands of dollars, the idea of lossing everthing, I would be willing to bet more than a few would turn to sueing. I sure hope I would not but I do not know because I am not in those shoes, (and hopefully never would be).

All the fucking way. There is NO excuse for skydivers to be suing skydivers over a skydiving related accident. Period.

Were you to end up in a plane crash and can't get out...the guy next to you dies and you have to live with that horror for the rest of your life...and you find out that the DZO didn't properly maintain the aircraft due to expense, and forged the maintenance logs and reserve logs, which contributed to that accident...and the pilot had a BAL of .19 at the time of the accident, well I guess I'd just wonder if you'd still hold that view.

I make the decision to get on the plane. I deal with the consequences of that decision. End of story.

I'm not saying to get rich off of a risky sport. I am saying that I keep seeing the attitude that there should be nobody held accountable in any case; and that I just personally disagree with.

That's what the waiver said. If you disagreed with it, why did you sign it?

Doesn't make any sense to insist on responsibility in a sport like skydiving.

Yeah, how dare anybody think that skydivers should take responsibility for their own safety? So much easier and better to expect someone else to do it. :S

-ever visited a DZ other than your own?

Yes

Would make it a bit difficult to assess the up-keep of the aircraft and the skill of the pilot immediately, wouldn't it?

Yes, and that is why when I visit a new dz, i don't just sign a waiver and go. I sighn a waiver, get a safety briefing, and pay attention to the people working there, the people jumping there, and everything else about the place. I assess the looks of things *though looks don't tell everything* I then decide to take the risk, and enter their aircraft, or to walk away and go home. I know the risks involved, i know people can be negligent, and I know that the wairver states that i can not sue if it is the fault of negligence. I learned that the very first time i stepped onto the dz, and read the 5+ page waiver. In most cases, I will see the pilot, maybe talk to them, before getting on the plane with them.

We know the risks, we are willing to take them.
CLICK HERE! new blog posted 9/21/08
CSA #720

Her lame ass husband must be upset that he might need to be a care giver for a few weeks and help his money grabbing wife out with the house hold day to days. (Or he is pissed that she cant fuck as well as before with a broken leg) This kind of crap makes me sick to my stomach
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.

For a broken leg?????
:S
I'd be ever so thankful to be alive given the other losses.

Not JUST a broken leg... but also being deprived of "support, services, consortium, care, companionship, comfort, instruction, guidance, counsel, training and love."

Seriously though, there are so many sad situations from this event. Sometimes in healing.... some cause more pain. It's disappointing though that the support that she (and he) needed wasn't there and they felt the need to go to the legal system. It's too easy to sue here..... [:/]

Lets be realistic here, if your dead, what does money bring your family ... a nice car, house, a cool urn to put your ashes into.

And if your got a broken leg, it heals. Yeah get some compensation for the medical expenses, thats a reasonable request.

If your injured and cannot work for a period of time and bills pile up etc, seeking compensation from the insurance, thats even reasonable.

But if you break your leg and can still work, and your lame ass husband is looking to cash in on it, for no good reason. Common ....

Yes we all have idealistic goals that we would never sue nor would our families if your burn in, or have to eat our food in a liquidated format, through a hole in our throats.

But the current level of mass hysteria on seeking compensation ... you cannot tell me that the suit filed by her husband does not leave a bad taste in your mouth

I agree with the last statement. In all seriousness what the fuck does the husband deserve, and why does he deserve it? Was he injured? What right does he have to seek compensation? The only injury he sustained was that he might have to get off his ass and do some actual work around the house or something for a change. More so this dumbass will probably try to jump again, but will be un-welcomed on most dz's I'm sure. I also agree .. shocking they did not try to sue the manufacturer of the aircraft.. what the hell lets throw caution to the wind.. they are already suing for something retarded.. why not sue the engineer who designed the plane, the guys who built it and the wright bros family members for even inventing such a contraption. God forbid someone accept responsibility for thier actions. USA - U Sue All
Millions of my potential children died on your daughters' face last night.