Squeak

Another suit

Herein lies the problem...

Results 1 - 10 of about 11,000,000 for personal injury lawyers. (0.22 seconds)

Time to set up skeet season! :D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Every time I see comments like this I just have to wonder how far up that slippery slope you're willing to travel...

All the fucking way. There is NO excuse for skydivers to be suing skydivers over a skydiving related accident. Period.

Were you to end up in a plane crash and can't get out...the guy next to you dies and you have to live with that horror for the rest of your life...and you find out that the DZO didn't properly maintain the aircraft due to expense, and forged the maintenance logs and reserve logs, which contributed to that accident...and the pilot had a BAL of .19 at the time of the accident, well I guess I'd just wonder if you'd still hold that view.

I make the decision to get on the plane. I deal with the consequences of that decision. End of story.

I'm not saying to get rich off of a risky sport. I am saying that I keep seeing the attitude that there should be nobody held accountable in any case; and that I just personally disagree with.

That's what the waiver said. If you disagreed with it, why did you sign it?

Somewhere along the line, new skydivers became customers ...to be treated in business like manner. In short, they entered the sport as a customer paying cash for a service.

Skydiving became more business than sharing a love of the sport and the chickens have come home to roost.
-----------------------
"O brave new world that has such people in it".

This system of yours never ceases to amaze me as a non American.

funny you reply to KArl, who is South African :D

How would I know that when the profile says US???? ;)
“The sum of intelligence on the planet is a constant; the population is growing.” - George Bernard Shaw
He who dies with the most toys, wins.....
dudeist skydiver # 19515
Buy quality and cry once!

Skydivers don't sue skydivers.

I hope she heals fast, and I feel for all of those who were touched by this incident.

But fuck her, I hope she loses this suit, and then is never allowed to jump at a dz again. :S

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

Sounds like the husband and wife weren't paid-up on their health insurance premiums to begin with - another reason she shouldn't have been jumping in the first place.

I really don't get this. Skydiving is an ADULT activity, with ADULT risks, and possibly ADULT consequences. Ever notice you don't have to sign a waiver at an amusement park? That should tell you something.

If you can't take responsibility for making the ADULT decision to strap on your own ADULT gear and board an imperfect aircraft with an imperfect pilot and other imperfect jumpers, you have no business in the air, and personally, I don't want someone like that on a load with me - I might get sued for farting and contaminating her perfect air.

Suing other skydivers is just fucking wrong. Put on a fresh pair of panties, let your leg heal, and shut the fuck up.
T.I.N.S.

I'm sure she knows she does not have a leg to stand on (excuse the pun) as she signed the waiver and assumed all the risks, and since this was not a aircraft reliability issue, no blame can be placed on the DZO for that, the only thing she has is trying to prove the FFE was negligent in hiring the pilot and negligent in training him. And then they have the money bag eyes for the pilot who they will try prove was negligent due to past errors in flight etc. Funny how she might of know about it, yet still made the choice to climb onboard and risk her life with that knowledge.

Her and her lame assed husband have only a civil case that is worth anything, and they will as we have seen look to sue on the grounds of pain and suffering that her poor husband will endure.

He needs to give back his Man Card and get himself a Mangina B|

They are a bunch of muppets .... enough said.

It is my understanding that the suit has been dismissed. It is also my understanding that Tera found out about the suit the same way all of us found out about it. I'm not 100% on all that but that is my understanding.

Evidently some ambulance chaser told her that she might be able to get something from some insurance company to help with medical assistance, she signed papers basically allowing him to check into it, or so she thought. As soon as she found out that they filed suit against the DZ, DZO and pilot she immediately called and told them to end it. At least that is what I was told by her, anyway.

She told them right from the start that she didn't want to go after the DZ or DZO and they disregarded that completely. Evidently the lawyer she had been talking to had a different lawyer file the case. Whatever, anyhow, like I said, she told me yesterday that she was sorry that it ever went that far, that she had made it clear that, that was not what she wanted and that it was to be dismissed immediately. She just wants it to all go away. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Evidently some ambulance chaser told her that she might be able to get something from some insurance company to help with medical assistance, she signed papers basically allowing him to check into it, or so she thought. As soon as she found out that they filed suit against the DZ, DZO and pilot she immediately called and told them to end it. At least that is what I was told by her, anyway.

It is WAY too easy to sue over here. [:/]

As scary as it sounds, I can honestly believe that situation.

I'm glad that she's not sueing the dz.... but I do hope that she gets what she needs to recover.

It is my understanding that the suit has been dismissed. It is also my understanding that Tera found out about the suit the same way all of us found out about it. I'm not 100% on all that but that is my understanding.

She told them right from the start that she didn't want to go after the DZ or DZO and they disregarded that completely. Evidently the lawyer she had been talking to had a different lawyer file the case. Whatever, anyhow, like I said, she told me yesterday that she was sorry that it ever went that far, that she had made it clear that, that was not what she wanted and that it was to be dismissed immediately. She just wants it to all go away. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens next.

Cool. :)
Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

OK editing this one after post by superfletch.

The second link doesn't work.

I agree with Billvon who said that everyone that jumps should have medical insurance. Maybe in the future, dropzones will require health insurance to jump.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD

It is WAY too easy to sue over here. [:/]

As scary as it sounds, I can honestly believe that situation.

I'm glad that she's not sueing the dz.... but I do hope that she gets what she needs to recover.

Sadly, so can I. Tera probably has valid claims to make that her insurance company (or companies) should pay out. However, our insurance system is so complex and stacked against the individual claimant that we often have to get lawyers involved just to be sure that we can get legitimate claims paid. A good personal injury lawyer should be helping her file a claim with her insurance company or companies, not go after every possible deep pocket. I'm very glad to hear that this has been dismissed just as quickly as it came up.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Wow. I wish I could edit or retract my statement above, but I can't, so if this is the case she has my apologies for my statement.
"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

"if you want to get paid, I fell off a LADDER!"

I hope I never have to find out if my health insurance covers an incident, it's not excluded anywhere and it is a premium plan...but still....even with LTD, I not 100% positive.

anybody else?

I hope I never have to find out if my health insurance covers an incident, it's not excluded anywhere and it is a premium plan...but still....even with LTD, I not 100% positive.

anybody else?

I've only been treated once for something skydiving-related and that was no problem (and I didn't lie about it). I had employer-sponsored coverage, no listed exclusions. But then again, the overall bills were relatively low (under 10K). I have no idea if things would get more complex or be challenged if the costs were much higher. But it's one of the reasons I'm paying a lot more right now for COBRA coverage rather than individual coverage while I'm out of work.

But if you've read your certificate of coverage and there's no exclusions for skydiving - I think you're more likely to put yourself in a bad situation by lying about the reason for your accident, because then maybe they can try to accuse you of fraud or something ... :S
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

And if your got a broken leg, it heals. Yeah get some compensation for the medical expenses, thats a reasonable request.

So you are saying it is ok to sue? Talk about contradiction.

Read my entire post. before making an assumption or accusation.

No where do i say it's OK to sue, I was sure my posts indicated that suing a fellow jumper made me sick to my stomach.

And yes, seeking compensation, be it from a insurance policy, the DZO themselves, or workers compensation. Is not a unreasonable request ... never did i mention the act of litigation, please read correctly and also the entire post.

The thing that is more upsetting, as I have posted before is the fact the lame ass husband was looking to profit from this "broken" leg. Compensation for medical expenses is one thins suing for the reasons they were or are ... please.

So, read my post again in it's entirety .... thanks

And yes, seeking compensation, be it from a insurance policy, the DZO themselves, or workers compensation. Is not a unreasonable request ...

So you are saying that the DZO should potentially be liable? If they are not liable why do you believe it is acceptable to ask them for money?