AggieDave

Anyone been to Glacier NP?

Morgan and I are planning a trip this coming (late) spring or early summer and I have a couple of questions. We're flying in, so we're not bringing our usual trunk full of camping gear. With that in mind, we're looking for a nice place to stay. There are cabins and a motel of sorts in the park and I was wondering if anyone had stayed in any of them.

Also, it looks like I can only fly into Missoula. Is that right or is there another airport that wouldn't require an Otter hop from a fishing guide?

Any other unsolicited advice is welcome as well. We are not backpackers, we're day hikers and we like taking pictures of beautiful things along the way. We wouldn't mind a nice dinner at some point during the trip, but not something that requires black tie to be brought with us.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

You should be able to fly in/out of Kalispell, which is a lot closer to Glacier than Missoula.

You could wait for mid-summer and bring your gear; Glacier is only an hour or so drive from Skydive Lost Prairie, which, in case you hadn't heard, puts on a really sweet boogie in late July. And your swoopin' self might enjoy the MSL too.:ph34r:

Well worth the trip regardless, there are a lot of trails to day hike on and the views are spectacular.

Late spring/early summer is fabulous if you want to get eaten alive by mosquitos. Bytch is right... wait for midsummer and combine it with Prairie. Glacier's only about an hour and a half or so away, so you can just stay at the DZ and do as many day hikes or swoops as you want to.

Spring/Early summer will find much of the park closed. The Going to the Sun road is usually snow blocked until mid June.

My wife and I stayed at the cabins in Apgar for our honeymoon. It was very nice.

I agree with the others that later in the year would be nicer, but more crowded.

Have a great time! We will be there next July.
John
Arizona Hiking Trails

So would the last week of May totally suck? That's kind of our planned date for a number of reasons. We might be able to do the first week of June, but past that is a bit rough for planning.

Going the last week of May would it be better to stick to the southern half of the park or what? I've been to Big Bend a couple of times, but we've never been to Glacier and we want to have a fun trip. Well, we're going to have a great time just getting away some place this beautiful. We're also going to have fun celebrating Morgan's graduation from Grad SchoolB|

Its a wonderful park. There are a few quick hikes from visitor centers where you can get really close to the Mountain Goats, truly wonderful critters!
But there are some mean-ass bears in that park!

As mentioned, the main road is closed until snow melts mid summer, but you can enter the park from several roads.

Reasonable places to stay just outside the park...and if you do go to Missoula its a nice college town. There are many natural hot springs that are very easy to find from the roads and along snake river just over the border in Idaho. Lalo Hot Springs is only 35 miles from Missoula and has nice cheap cabins and infrastructure.

You'll have fun!

"The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly." --GK Chesterton

I grew up about an hour from Glacier. :)
Keep in mind that at the end of May there will still be quite a bit of snow and they'll still be clearing the Going to the Sun road. This means you probably won't be able to make it all the way to the top of the pass, which is BEAUTIFUL! However, there is still lots to see and do and there are plenty of day hikes for you and your wife.
I recommend staying in Apgar or at the Lake McDonald Lodge, if you don't want to camp.
Kalispell is definately where you want to fly in to, Missoula is quite a bit farther away.
Bring warm clothes!! Especially for night!
I can also give you a few names of restaurants in the area if you're interested. :)
I will also add that Montana and Glacier Park are much more beautiful the end of July/first part of August...during the Lost Prairie Boogie. You should come. ;)

Why can't pirates and cowboys co-exist in perfect harmony?

Glacier is a wonderful park and close to some really cool things to do. Kalispell and Whitefish are great small towns with good places to hang out also. Don't miss the "Montana Vortex" and Hungry Horse dam. Make sure to get a Huckleberry shake too.
I also recommend a drive up to Fernie, BC and a trip into the Crow's Nest Pass to see the Frank slide.
Bring warm clothes!

If you're heading there, I would definitely recommend crossing the Canadian border and going to Waterton Lakes National Park. My favorite day hike EVER is there. The Crypt Lake trail is definitely worth the extra drive. I'm not sure if it's open that time of year, or how much snow there would be (I did it in August) but I can't recommend that hike highly enough. :)
Also, there is a fabulous place to eat with Homemade pies on the east side of the park, right off of Hwy 89. I think it's a little north of St. Mary's. It's on the left side of the road if you're heading North, I forget what it's called, but it's FANTASTIC!

Enemiga Rodriguez, PMS #369, OrFun #25, Team Dirty Sanchez #116, Pelt Head #29, Muff #4091

Absolutely, that place is a surreal national treasure- One summer in the mid 80's My girlfriend and I got a Golden Eagle pass and went on a road trip to all the national parks out west -Glacier was our favorite! I suggest the hike up to Cracker lake back country campsite- nice view and you can fish for the unusual bull trout, but watch out for the marmots, they're bold and will look for goodies in your pack! sadly no sex, it attracts bears- a park ranger told us that.

Edit; I remember that Cracker lake trail was a fairly rugged long hike.
Beware of the collateralizing and monetization of your desires.
D S #3.1415

I'm 48 yrs old and Montana born and raised. My wife and I seen Glacier for the first time 2 summers ago. I was completely awestruck. Never seen anything so beautiful. I told my wife that if I had seen it when I was still in school, i would have moved there when I got out, went to work and remained there for the rest of my life. I hope that you are able to see it on a clear day so that your view is totally unobstructed. If you really want to be able to enjoy all the views, I would recomend taking the open topped bus tour over the going to the sun route and leave the driving to somebody else. You can also take the small hikes along the way. Have fun. It is definatly a site to see in ones lifetime. We will be going back soon.

I may be getting old but I got to see all the cool bands.

I just recently got to visit Glacier Natl Park during my trip to Lost Prarie this summer.I'd wait until as far into summer as you can get to go to this part of the country.I remember a bottle of water freezing solid over night inside my tent (with a propane heater I might add) at LP this year and that was in July!:|The weather is very nice during the day at lower altitudes but as you go up in altitude it gets REALLY cold and windy...or it was for me anyway.Plus be aware of altitude sickness.I had a raging migraine 90% of the trip in Glacier b/c I wasnt used to the altitude.But its definitely worth seeing even if you dont make it all the way up the Road to the Sun.Also, take your birth certificates and or passports because some of the area around the park is in Canada or so I've been told.Definitely fly into Kalispell its alot closer.Also, if you do fly into Kalispell, visit the Lang Brewery! They have GREAT beer and ale! I got sooo hooked on it during LP.

But if its beautiful scenery for pictures you want then definitely go to Glacier even if its not completely open due to the snow.I got some awesome pictures while I was there! I'll bring them to AOT next weekend if I make it down there.:)
hope you guys have fun wherever you go.:)

"...just an earthbound misfit, I."

The Lake McDonald and Many Glacier lodges are fantastic. Huge, but great views. Seemed to attract an older crowd. Restaurants at the lodges are decent.

The road accessible campgrounds are hit and miss, some of them are just in the woods with no attractions other than nearby day hikes. The ones near lakes / streams are very nice though, and worth camping at.

There are basically no showers inside the park except for the lodges (which have them in every room like any hotel), so if you plan to do extensive camping you might want to factor that in.
My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski?

Can we still go across the boarder with only our driver's license or do we need passports again? If so, I need to update mine. You didn't need it for Mexico for so long and I couldn't afford to travel anywhere that was a foreign country (besides Oklahoma, that place just aint right).

I'm pretty sure that you now need passports. I had them when I went up north.

correction:

If U.S. citizen travelers to Canada do not have a passport or approved alternate document such as a NEXUS card, they must show a government-issued photo ID (e.g. Driver’s License) and proof of U.S. citizenship such as a U.S. birth certificate, naturalization certificate, or expired U.S. passport.

source

passports make it a whole lot easier, but for a couple of months I think the drivers license and birth certificate will work.
There is a whole lot more around montana to enjoy then just glacier park, try yellowstone, or the museum of the rockies, crystal park or the hot springs dotted around, skiing fishing... tons of stuff to do!
Experience is a difficult teacher, she gives you the test first and the lesson afterward

Birth certificates aren't uniform (for example, mine is labeled "altered" and got some really weird looks when I came back from Mexico)

They were just looking for the scars from when the tail was removed... :P
Stupidity if left untreated is self-correcting
If ya can't be good, look good, if that fails, make 'em laugh.