mamajumps

Dog & cat people: Is there a difference in personalities?

There is one thing that I really love about cats. No leash laws. You can have a cat and take care of him/her and if they are an outdoor cat they can still have a free life.

Just watch the number of felines you have.

Might I remind everyone about my 'crazy cat lady' next door who has over 20 cats now! (2 just had kittens last month = 8 more to the brood) She -used- to keep them indoors....but since she remodeled her house they're now all outdoor cats. 20+ piles of cat crap on my lawn every week is a tad trying on the 'good-neighbor' rule. :|

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

What do you reccomend? Seems like I have tried it all at some point.

I have a very finiky cat who will poop right outside the box if it is too stinky for her. I scoop every day, use Fresh Step and I also use the stuff you sprinkle on top to keep it extra fresh for her.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

You have a very spoiled...ummm...kitty.

A girl's gotta treat her "ummm...kitty" with tender loving care. ;)
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

There's a reason that some people qualify as 'crazy cat ladies', but you never hear about 'crazy dog ladies' :P Yes, there's a difference.

They're everywhere here in NYC, and IMO they're worse than the "crazy cat ladies." They're just more mainstream and accepted, because these days it's pretty much normal to treat your dog like, or better than a human being.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

I have my own views on this topic.

Taking care of a dog demonstrates the ability to love and to take care of something/one other than oneself. Honestly, it seems like dog people tend to be nature lovers, down-to-earth, loyal and loving. These people often have great personalities. Dating a man with a dog often means dating someone, who is open, caring and emotionally available. When a person (especially a man) has a dog for a pet, it shows that person know how to take care of obligations, be nurturing and is not purely self-absorbed in his life.

I will not write the personality traits that I've noticed about "cat people". In any case, these are generalizations, and they are skewed by my own bias.

I could swear this is like the 20th time I've seen you post ridiculous generalizations regarding cat vs. dog people.

Looks like someone was hurt at one point by a 'cat guy.' If that's what fuels your bias, you might want to work on getting over that.

One thing I noticed about "dog people" is that many of them have a beef with "cat people." I haven't noticed such prejudices in any "cat people" that I know.

But anyway these categories and generalizations are just silly. Humans are much more complex than this and there's good and bad in cat people everywhere, and their qualities overlap.

By the way, I love both cats AND dogs with the exception of poodles and Persian cats, and most animals of any species for that matter. I just feel that treating them like/better than people and anthropomorphizing does the animal more harm than good -- and it seems to be happening more and more these days.

Pardon if this post seems argumentative (I know the bonfire is supposed to be about hugs and vibes) but it's a topic I happen to have strong opinions on.

Be humble, ask questions, listen, learn, follow the golden rule, talk when necessary, and know when to shut the fuck up.

If cat people are anal, particular, smart, sometimes [often?] nutty perfectionists then, yes, I'd say I'm a bit different than a dog person.

:P

I love ALL animals--and I hate to pick a favorite--but I can't deny ma love for kittehs. :$

For the record, I've grown up with both and both still have me. Cruz (pictured in my avatar) is my baby. :)

Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Oh geez...please lighten up.

I've never knowingly been hurt by a "cat person". I've dated and been in long term relationships with some wonderful men, a couple who had dogs for pets, one with a cat (whom I'm still close friends with...lol) and most had no pets.

I wrote what I wrote because I have a loving sister-in-law-to-be who has spent most of her life caring for animals of all kinds, including cats. She is a "dog person". HERE is a link to her latest venture.

In my post, I specifically wrote that saying that "dog people" (men and women) were "often" nurturers were generalizations. I have met such amazing souls, who have both as pets or none at all. I used the word often, not always.

For the record, I've owned many pets over the last 37 years, including two beautiful cats, whom I've loved very much. I have owned dogs throughout my adult years. Now, my one and only dog is a beautiful and loving part of my family, but I have a lot of love for a great many "cat people".

I don't care as much as you might think about what pets people have.

My cats demand attention but its on their terms. The dog just lavishes it on me cuz she loves me...

Exactly! :)
The "difference" has nothing to do with me. I scoop, kiss, scratch, pet, let sleep next to me and adore all of them--it's they who are different in their method of showing their love, appreciation & affection.
Paint me in a corner, but my color comes back.

Well I can only speak for myself. I love animals very much. I have lost dogs and cats tradgically over the past 10 years, a dog, and 7 cats. I now have two birds and a fish. I had an iguana that was 4 feet long and she was my very good friend. We had a good relationship. She would give kisses when asked and ride on my shoulder. She would even ask to get down for potty. I am outgoing and friendly and I do not favor cats or dogs. I even like tarantulas. I love hearing frogs at night, and crickets. I love my fish too. So I think that it is all in our own control. Our attitude, our likes and dislikes, I just dont see where which animals we like has anything to do with it. If you are friendly it is because you choose to be that way, if you are snobby, it is because you choose to be. You can allow things in your life or walk away and disallow it. YOUR CHOICES!!!! IMHO who you are is up to you & God. NO ONE WALKS ALONE . Even if you think you do, you dont.:)

I've learned.... That being kind is more important than being
right.

Which is one reason why I will never be that old crazy cat lady. Cat boxes are nasty!!!!!!!!!!!! The cat who owns me is indoor and outdoor and the kitten which is my daughters, get her box scooped daily.... That is the biggest downfall to cats.... they are some stinky ass little creatures!:P

We bought a Cat Genie to avoid the problem. It scoops the poop, liquifies the mess, pumps it into the toilet, washes its non-absorbant cat liter with odor-neutralizing sanitizing solution, and blow-dries the litter so your kitty doesn't get wet feet.

We have ours programmed for once a day, but you can increase that or activate it manually when your cat doody is unusually smelly.

http://www.catgenie.com/

The Cat Genie is by FAR my favorite labor saving gadget.

Which is one reason why I will never be that old crazy cat lady. Cat boxes are nasty!!!!!!!!!!!! The cat who owns me is indoor and outdoor and the kitten which is my daughters, get her box scooped daily.... That is the biggest downfall to cats.... they are some stinky ass little creatures!:P

We bought a Cat Genie to avoid the problem. It scoops the poop, liquifies the mess, pumps it into the toilet, washes its non-absorbant cat liter with odor-neutralizing sanitizing solution, and blow-dries the litter so your kitty doesn't get wet feet.

We have ours programmed for once a day, but you can increase that or activate it manually when your cat doody is unusually smelly.

That is really cool, and at one time (when I had like 8 cats) I had the electric one that scoops it into a little box thingy. I would love to have a cat box like that.. however, if I had and $300 right now, I would be spending it on jump tickets and not sitting here posting so much....:P;)

That's fucking awesome!!!

How long have you had it?

I've had a cat genie for almost two years now and love it. Their customer service is amazing too. They've never once charged me for anything, even when I've been a dumbass and broken something when it's been my fault and totally out of warranty.

"Hi, Catgenie. I need a longer water hose."
"No problem! We'll send one right out! How long?"
"Ten feet?"
"Okay. You should have it in a couple days."
"What's it going to cost?"
"No charge!"

"Hi, Catgenie. I was a moron and dropped the motor and snapped off the little nozzle on the bottom when I was cleaning it. Is this going to be a problem or is it okay?"
"It'll probably be okay, but it might make the solution get used up a little faster than usual. Let me send you out a new motor unit just in case. You should have it in a few days"
"uh oh. It's out of warranty. What's that gonna cost?"
"No charge!"

"Hi, Catgenie. I was a moron and stepped on the plastic gear when I was giving the catgenie it's yearly scrubbing and the cat tripped me. The warranty expired six months ago, and I need a new gear. What's it gonna cost?"
"No charge! You'll have it in a few days!"

CatGenie rocks!

What about the types of dog people out there?

1 - Those that think their PET is a family member and have to take them everywhere and treat them like little children instead of the property and companions they actually are.

2 - Those with a real life that appreciate having a pet. Especially a great pet like a dog.

3 - I don't have much time for cat people. Half cat, half people - always coughing up hair balls.

(Cats are fine, much like a piece of furniture)

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants