airdvr

GPS Units

While I depend on mine for business I have a couple of observations.

How long before one can navigate a vehicle for us?

I am now device dependent. I can't be without one. 30 years ago I traversed the same area with a street guide and got pretty good about knowing the roads. Not anymore [:/]
Please don't dent the planet.

Destinations by Roxanne

Mine has saved me many headaches driving through Atlanta. After a year I find myself turning it off on long trips just so I force myself to be more aware of my surroundings.
If they can make one that drives for me, I'm all for it!
Be patient with the faults of others; they have to be patient with yours.

i just used one for the first time while in DC last weekend. i have no idea how i'd have survived without it! well, i'm being dramatic, but it definitely came in handy. it did take me to a blocked off road/construction zone once, but that was its only error in 4 days. pretty impressive.
Oh Canada, merci pour la livraison!

I've noticed that I'm less aware of where I am on long trips with GPS-I used to know that I was near such and such a town but now I just know that I'm northbound on I 95 and the I have 62.7 miles to my next turn:S

That's funny. I'm the opposite. I tend to become oblivious when driving long distance and often miss an exit, turn, etc. With a GPS I keep an eye on what towns I'm going through, etc. I rarely use it for actual navigation, just so I have an idea where I am and what is around me.

When moving to a new town, which I've done a lot in the last few years, I find it great for learning names of streets and getting the layout of a town. Again, I don't actually navigate, just leave it rather zoomed out so I get a feeling for where I am in the town.
Killing threads since 2004.

Most places I could get by with a good map and a sense of direction. That was until I drove in Boston.:S:D

Now my GPS goes with me on every trip, preloaded with all my destinations. My favorite feature is Points of Interest. I can find grocery stores, theaters, gas stations, whatever I need, whenever I need it, on the road.

Think of your 5 favorite friends. Do you remember their phone numbers? They are kept in your phone.

I know my cell and office phone numbers and my parents' home phone number. I can get most of the digits right on my daughter's and girlfriend's phone numbers, but not all of them. That's it. The rest I haven't a clue.

Blues,
Dave
"I AM A PROFESSIONAL EXTREME ATHLETE!"
(drink Mountain Dew)

I'm with you. Even when I am in a familiar place it use the GPS because it's just another piece of situational awareness. I had a trial over the last couple of days that required me to be in Bakersfield - about 110 miles away and a trip I've made 20 times. But I kept the Magellan going.

A favorite feature for me is the data screen. It give compass heading, elevation, speed, location by coordinates, city you're in, and location by distance to and from streets.

Just situational awareness. I love it.

My wife is hotter than your wife.

Now if they only made one with a built in radar detector!

"Speed trap ahead in 1 mile"

Ahhh, man! I was thinking about that the other day. That would be a huge help.

I'm loving mine that I just got for my b-day. It has all the basic stuff-bluetooth, talk to speech, maps (of course), but it also has a media player so I can upload my mp3s to it and listen to my FHF podcasts when they're not on the air! I love it!

SA B|

I've noticed that I'm less aware of where I am on long trips with GPS-I used to know that I was near such and such a town but now I just know that I'm northbound on I 95 and the I have 62.7 miles to my next turn:S

Ditto for me. I'm completely dependent on the thing now, unless I'm in my immediate area. I don't even pay attention to where I'm going anymore; I just wait for the beep, followed by a voice that speaks directions. :|
Dialogue/commentary between Divot, Twardo & myself -

"from your first Oshkosh when the three of us were riding to or from one of

Now if they only made one with a built in radar detector!

"Speed trap ahead in 1 mile"

Ahhh, man! I was thinking about that the other day. That would be a huge help.

I'm loving mine that I just got for my b-day. It has all the basic stuff-bluetooth, talk to speech, maps (of course), but it also has a media player so I can upload my mp3s to it and listen to my FHF podcasts when they're not on the air! I love it!

SA B|

There are speed camera POI databases that you can download/install...or you could just NOT SPEED.

:P
Mike
I love you, Shannon and Jim.
POPS 9708 , SCR 14706

What? No dis about my Racer? Dude, you're slipping....

Vint

Call me - I can tell you what they are. ;)

Vint

Hey! Don't make me kick your veggie-eating, Saab-driving, Studebaker-collecting, apple-fan boy ass. :P:D

Blues,
Dave
:)B|
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

How long before one can navigate a vehicle for us?
[:/]

They are already working on that. I forget the name of it but has anyone seen the contest?

There a contest where you have to get an unmanned vehicle through a few hundred miles of desert without any programmed directions or remote control.
My photos

My Videos